**official Mma Thread**

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There goes about 3/4 of a years worth of winnings.

Seats - There are no good seats (unless you are ringside). We had floor seats 11 rows from the ring... pretty close and I paid quite a bit. I couldn't see shit. You can't see over other people's heads

The internet is an environment. Environments attract compatible creatures.   'Comment sections' of anything (Youtube being the best example, where the absolute lowest form of internet vermin are ap

Posted Images

McGregor has to cut 27 pounds in 8 days.

A size comparison between him, who fights at 45, and a 70'er.

320x320xWoodley-McGregor.png.speedilic.ic.SYtT-6DvWv.jpg

Now imagine him against Chad Mendes.

mvGrPks-Lj24NWQV4MCfwvw.jpg

Sounds like a tough cut, especially for someone who thinks he'll never go 5 rounds. Don't get me wrong, I think he works hard, but maybe he won't have gas beyond Round 2

Melendez out for a year. Failed a test to steriods after Mexico fight Iaquinta has no July 15 opponent for the 2nd time.

Cerrone already said he'll take it.

He's in direct line for a title shot, his next fight will be for the strap, but will take a lower fight.

The guy has earned my respect. Anyone who spends money that irresponsibly must be feared.

I would big-bet that fight @ anything -500 or better.

Iaquinta lost some points with his ring tantrum, but overall I like him. He is not in Cerrones league nor will he ever be.

UFC made cuts today.

Ryan Jimmo - makes sense. picket-fenced his way to two L's in a row, 33 years old, never really looked like a world beater.

Hatsu Hioki- He's been running on grace for 2 years now.

Andrew Todhunter- Newcomer, shit the bed on a weight cut for his first fight. Gave him the heave.

Robbie Peralta- Never shined.

Dhiego Lima- Still young enough to make a comback, but never really performed.

Nolan Ticman- 0-2 in undercard fights

Justin Edwards- Lost 3 in a row against low level guys

Josh Sampo- Same as above

Lisa Ellis- 0-2 in the UFC

Jessica Rackoczy- Bummer. Was cute.

Bentley Syler- Old, one lone UFC fight, got KTFO

Zhang Lipeng- Asian

Wendell Oliveira- 0-2 in the UFC, two knockouts.

Luiz Dutra - 0-2 in UFC

So the only one who stands a chance in hell at coming back is Todhunter if he keeps on winning in the bush leagues. His record of 7-0 is all submissions, most 1st round. He notches a few more early finishes, make himself available as a short notice fill-in, he'll be back. I don't know how old he is but I'm guessing mid/late 20's, however if he's in his 30's, the picture is different.

Jessica Rackoczy- Bummer. Was cute.

You and I have very different tastes.

http://media.ufc.tv/fighter_images/Jessica_Rakoczy/JessicaRakoczy_Headshot.png

To my mind her eyes are not only overly centralized on her face vertically - too low, that is - but enjoy such close proximity to each other that, if I let my vision blur a little, she becomes a cyclops.

Zhang Lipeng- Asian

I chuckled.

Thats not her best shot, but I think she's 'cute' by 'cute' standards. Not the fire, but cute enough by real world standards, killer lean body.

Also: Watched a 30 for 30 on Bo Jackson. It nailed down a lot of stuff that younger people- who didn't see his day to day performance- don't understand about him, since his career was pre "anything can be looked up on the internet" age and is reduced to raw stats and a few highlights. He was such a freak athlete. Lazy as a 12 year old dog and still showed flashes of stuff theretofore unseen in professional sports from a raw athleticism standpoint.

It took 50 years for mainstream sports to get another Jim Thorpe (and by all accounts, Jackson was well above Thorpe). Imagine what happens when MMA gets a Bo Jackson or an Adrian Peterson or a LeBron James. When super-elite mega-genetics enter the combat sports game. It will probably make for a lot of very boring, R1 knockouts but it will be interesting when that finally happens. Jon Jones is a preview of the third-tier of that. We'll probably get the second tier in another generation. Very curious to see what happens when a guy like that lands in MMA.

Related to that, I always laugh when foreign people talk shit about America soccer, not that I ultimately care about soccer. They fail to realize that U.S. soccer gets our third tier athletes at best. Can you imagine if Lebron, Bo Jackson, Russell Westbrook, Calvin Johnson and the like opted for soccer first, like brazilians and euros premier athletes do?

Waiting till weigh ins to make my DK ticket for Saturday, but I'm leaning Mendes and Lawler for my values, Almeida for my big ticket item

Can't decide between Thatch or Nelson. Nelson wins a lot of decisions. Based on my only mma card I've done, you need finishes to win.

Matt Brown is over $10k but is a finisher. Can also get finished. Torn on that one.

The thing with DK is that there is HUGE draft overlap with certain fighters (for example, my having Werdum was enough to push me into the money since like 90% of the people took Cain). I think Lawler and Mendes being Sub 10K'ers means a lot of people are going to take them, but so did I.

The best card I think I have is Bermudez and Brown (who I have on all my cards), Lawler, Mendes and Thatch.

Obviously Mendes/McGregor is one of those fights where its just impossible to call. McGregor being a potential game-changer at the weight class fighting a guy who is a lot smaller, but ferociously talented and who possesses a skill set that McGregor hasn't faced at a high level. The advantage here is that if Mendes delivers, there are going to be a SHITLOAD of people who have McGregor which means you'll rinse off most of the field in one fight. For value, I have Mendes but its an all in play. If he loses (especially if he's finished), whoever else you pick almost doesn't matter since you're going to sink under the mass uplift caused by all the WWE fans having McGregor.

Likewise, Lawler/Macdonald is a bastard to call. We saw them go once, it was VERY evenly matched but I think Macdonald was being overly tentative and is probably going to win. Still, due to the cap, I have Lawler and I don't entirely hate it. I mean, its a reigning champ fighting a guy who he has already beat, for cheap. Its not a terrible spot to be in for a value pick and I think basically everyone else is going to make this pick as well, so it helps keep you pegged to the field.

Bermudez and Brown I'm comfortable with. Its MMA, could go either way but I think THOSE fights should be the 11K fights. That still leaves me with enough to take Lawler and Thatch? A solid card, unlike most when you find yourself having to take some dogshit.

If I had to pick one fight on the card to bet my pinky finger on, it would be Bermudez.

I don't think Tim Means has what it takes to beat Matt Brown.

Pendred should be a reliable decision pick but it would be at the expense of Lawler or Mendes, and maybe not. John Howard is probably out of his league in the UFC but he's very tough and I think Pendred's 3 wins are against much weaker opponents than Howards 3 losses.

Maybe I'll do two cards for this one and try to get up on all the fights and only have "sure thing"' overlaps

And I appreciate you writing all that up. I enjoy reading it and stuff like it.

Ended up doing 2 tickets for this card. I am in on 10 fights. I didn't want any overlap. That probably stupid. First card has the biggies, Mendes, Lawler, Almeida, Swick, Bermudez

Other one has 5 other fights, and I was just throwing darts at a board. I took Howard, Thatch, Brown, Cedeno and Seery

So far, a Mendes win would rinse the field hard. The draft percentages are out, only 17.5% took him (70% took McGregor).

Likewise, Bermudez is only 15% and that is the fight I'm most confident about.

I don't like your Swick pick but that fight is coming up so we shall see (and that was the cost of taking an 11k'er in Almiedia) .

Turns out that Penred/Howard was indeed a demonstration of Sub UFC level skill in the octagon.

You're right on Swick. Guess I still remember "Quick Swick" laying dudes out.

Brown finishes guys. Never a dull fight

I knew that Pendred fight would be a snoozer. Why can't dudes let their hands go when they know they are losing in the 3rd. Puzzling.

Almiedia paid you back for being forced to take Swick.

KO, 85 sweet points.

If Mendes pays, you're probably ITM either way since the field is SO heavy McGregor.

I'm in Mendes too, so fingers crossed.

Thatch shitting the bed (FOUR points) nails all my cards hard.

Will need to notch Mendes and either Lawler or Bermudez to rack up points to get ITM. That was a big loss.

Ima have to check out draft kings--throw a couple bucks on it.

Its very fun. Just play your first few cards at the micros until you get the hang of basic strategy.

Ima have to check out draft kings--throw a couple bucks on it.

I have never sports bet in my life and I love it. I do the golf cards and MMA. I'll maybe to football, but I hate fantasy football with a passion, so we'll see.

It's fun to actually care who wins a fight and have a vested interest. Hell, my wife actually signed up and played a card tonight, just picking names and says "this betting really does make it fun"

I only do $3 per card I pick. I won't go higher unless I really figure shit out or its with house money.