**official Mma Thread**

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There goes about 3/4 of a years worth of winnings.

Seats - There are no good seats (unless you are ringside). We had floor seats 11 rows from the ring... pretty close and I paid quite a bit. I couldn't see shit. You can't see over other people's heads

The internet is an environment. Environments attract compatible creatures.   'Comment sections' of anything (Youtube being the best example, where the absolute lowest form of internet vermin are ap

Posted Images

People buying UFC 177. Friends and family of the fighters. Super hardcore fans that have action on the fights.

Now, there have been great fights and cards by guys we've never heard of or barely know, but that ain't moving the needle for people like us to spend $60. I wouldn't buy that card if I had a million dollars in the bank.

I wrote about it a while back, I hadn't missed but one or two cards over the course of 24 months, but then they rolled out fight pass, thinned out cards and either I soured on the product, got burnt out from my run, or just lost interest. Or they are putting on shittier cards overall.

Is this what happens when you've been watching for 7+ years, you become the old guy complaining about fighters you don't know?

I think it's a combo of factors I listed. They can do better though.

When my grandfather was in his 50s, he couldn't shoot deer anymore.

He just had no further interest in doing it, having been the Deer Hitler for his entire life prior.

Age does weird things to a man. People aren't interested in the same shit at 30 that they were at 20 but often times, they aren't interested in the same shit at 40 that they were at 30. I can totally, totally see someone losing interest in MMA has he gets out of his 'testosterone years' and into his years of wisdom. I'm stuck in the transitional phase between the two and even at the gym, I'm like an alien species among the 20-somethings.

So, there's that, too.

Combine the UFC strategic shift from quality to quantity, the sport no longer being the 'thrilling novelty' it once was, just having your fill of watching fights plus getting older and losing interest in watching two guys beat each other to a pulp, it's all a formula for losing interest in shitty cards at $60 a piece.

I still love watching a big fight. Bones vs anyone. Hendricks, Pettis, Cerrone (sorry) and other exciting guys. GSP, Silva, Weidman. I guess I enjoy the elite, the bangers like Overeem

Problem is, look at their roster of champions and studs of late. Off memory, can't think of any of these guys last fights

Pettis

Velasquez

Rashad

Others that haven't fought in a while

Hendricks

Werdum

Overeem

Cruz

Melendez

Diaz Bros (their own fault)

Fck, remember poor TJ Grant? Guy was on a roll, a wrecking machine.

The abandonment of the HWD is the UFCs own damn fault.

Their thinking is that the smaller guys are 'more exciting' since they're faster. No diss to the smaller guys but seriously, the big men sell cards. If that means a thinner (but higher quality) fly, feather and bantam to expand the HWD and LHW roster, then make it so. None of this 'one year between title defenses' bullshit, either.

So now they think, what? Women are the saving grace?

Dana White is and isn't many things. One thing he *is* is a man who knows how to pick a fighter people want to watch. There was no reason to sign Mark Hunt but for Dana realizing what he was. Same thing with Matt Brown- no reason to keep him aboard when his record suggested a middling fighter who was a can for submission artists. Dana recognized what he had in Brown.

He needs to apply that to scour the earth for exciting HW's.

They have 42 on the roster.

http://www.ufc.com/fighter/Weight_Class/Heavyweight

How about a ****ing HW fight now and then.

Am I the only one who likes the women's division? I definitely don't support it as a main event of a Ppv but I do enjoy watching them scrap. If some legit girl wrestlers come around it will be the end of things though

The women fights are kind of like watching the UFC from 15 years ago, except no wrestling skills. They just slug it out. It doesn't bother me but I won't yearn for it.

Mark Hunt had one fight left on a contract with an organization that the UFC bought. The had to give it to him, they tossed it on the prelims and he won. With the contract, it assured him another fight. Then he went on a win streak and started ko-ing guys, which was weird because he was a can, going like 1-6 before that. Good for him.

I'll probably lose interest because I have no idea wtf is going on. Every week there's something on fight pass or fs1 or fs2. Then there's the fights where they have one in the early am (usually in Asia) then another one at night. It's just too much.

I'm also a fan of the heavyweights but the top guys fight once a year maybe. It's a shame because I do love me some mma.

People buying UFC 177. Friends and family of the fighters. Super hardcore fans that have action on the fights.

Now, there have been great fights and cards by guys we've never heard of or barely know, but that ain't moving the needle for people like us to spend $60. I wouldn't buy that card if I had a million dollars in the bank.

I wrote about it a while back, I hadn't missed but one or two cards over the course of 24 months, but then they rolled out fight pass, thinned out cards and either I soured on the product, got burnt out from my run, or just lost interest. Or they are putting on shittier cards overall.

Is this what happens when you've been watching for 7+ years, you become the old guy complaining about fighters you don't know?

I think it's a combo of factors I listed. They can do better though.

I will pay for stacked cards/big fights when i want a quality picture with no distractions/interruptions/outages. the rest, i find...other means...

hen asked about that line of thinking by "Showdown Joe" for Sportsnet, White replied "Tell them to go to the movies tonight. I don't care." He would expand on this by suggesting that the problem is that people are never happy, "It's funny these guys saying 'make it a free show', how do you want these guys to get paid? The champ is still fighting. That's the craziest thing I ever heard. These people were bitching when Barao was still fighting. Some people are just never happy. I don't care."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/dana-white-responds-fans-saying-001706008.html

so we're supposed to shell out 60 bucks even if he puts a can in front of the champ? becoming more like boxing all the time.

This was a shit card.

Won decent very money with Hamilton and Brunson, only lost a bit with Jackson but I didn't even bother watching it.

How was the last fight? I see it went to R5 before Dillishaw knocked him out?

Was it competitive?

This was a shit card.

Won decent very money with Hamilton and Brunson, only lost a bit with Jackson but I didn't even bother watching it.

How was the last fight? I see it went to R5 before Dillishaw knocked him out?

Was it competitive?

I thought it was entertaining. They were both banging for about 3 rounds with Dillashaw getting the best of it but Soto was still getting good shots in. Soto started to gas a bit in round 4 and was totally gassed in round 5

3 FN's in September alone. This one (very good card), FN51 is rather weak outside the main event as is FN 52 (Hunt/Silva).

I realize UFC is in a damned if you do (fans bitch about card dilution) damned if you don't (fans bitch about not enough free cards) situation but I'm losing interest in watching thin cards. I'd take 12 great FN's a year, one a month, stacked, with at least one a year stacked to the moon so it had an 'event' feel to it like the Superbowl. Repeat it at the same time every year.