Dear Nikki

I think you avoided my question by saying "I'll keep both!".Say your husband turned into an alcholic and your kids became 24-hour rude and hostile.... but leaving them would mean you'd be scraping by from paycheck to paycheck in a crappy place, and riding the bus everywhere. OK, farfetched, but most people face some variation of these choices at some point in their life. How do you weigh financial security vs emotional security/happiness? Is there a dollar amount? A "happiness threshold"? Or what if instead of hostile kids, add in questions of custody and seeing your kids part time. Now what is your answer?
I would give up financial security for true happiness if I felt my life was lacking in it. I really would. I've been broke before. I could manage, especially if I was happy and at peace with my brokeass.
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friday night is the party for the release of the newest Harry Potter so I will be in Borders. The rest of my weekend that I have to spare will be spent reading the aforementioned book.
so thats a no?im heartbroken :club:
Dear Niki,This isn't an advice question, but I know you are a HP fan, and I just found this at cracked.com.6 questions the last Harry Potter book had better fucking answer
I'll bet it's hilarious but I'm very carefully avoiding any websites that might accidentally leak HP knowledge as the book has hit the internet. A friend of mine downloaded it today, but I'm a good librarian so I'm waiting for the real thing. I'll check out the link after I finish the book this weekend. Thanks.
I'll bet it's hilarious but I'm very carefully avoiding any websites that might accidentally leak HP knowledge as the book has hit the internet. A friend of mine downloaded it today, but I'm a good librarian so I'm waiting for the real thing. I'll check out the link after I finish the book this weekend. Thanks.
I read it, I think you're safe, and yes, it is hilarious. For example:
Harry himself has said that Voldemort put a "piece of him inside me," before quickly adding "but not in a gay way."
Nikki have you ever considered becoming a sex therapist?
Not really. I'm a librarian and I love what I do. Besides, I have very liberal views on sex and monogamy and it may put some people off.
Not really. I'm a librarian and I love what I do. Besides, I have very liberal views on sex and monogamy and it may put some people off.
Well for the hell of it, can you be my sex therapist? Lol only problem is for you is that business would be a little slow right now... That's a problem we can work on..
I was just going to ask if you want the torrent or not. Apparently, the torrent might not even be the real thing. Who knows?
Well for the hell of it, can you be my sex therapist? Lol only problem is for you is that business would be a little slow right now... That's a problem we can work on..
What does it pay?Jeep, I'm not even going to tempt myself by clicking the link.
What does it pay?Jeep, I'm not even going to tempt myself by clicking the link.
Umm.. I'll offer friendship? Is that a good enough payment?If you are into materialistic things, I suppose we could work out a monetary plan..
Umm.. I'll offer friendship? Is that a good enough payment?If you are into materialistic things, I suppose we could work out a monetary plan..
I guess I could do it for the spiritual wealth I might receive. Dear Nikki is here to help. If you'd rather not ask on the public forum, feel free to pm me.
Not really. I'm a librarian and I love what I do. Besides, I have very liberal views on sex and monogamy and it may get some people off.
FYP???

Dear Nikki,Where can I get a reliable magic 8 ball? I need a real one. One that actually has the wisdom of the ages and is willing to answer my questions using said knowledge.Do you have one?Do you know where I can get one?What do you imagine one of those would cost?Thanks,Wondering About Everything.

Dear Nikki,Where can I get a reliable magic 8 ball? I need a real one. One that actually has the wisdom of the ages and is willing to answer my questions using said knowledge.Do you have one?Do you know where I can get one?What do you imagine one of those would cost?Thanks,Wondering About Everything.
Christ that would be useful right now.
I'd start by trying to find a hermit on the top of a very tall mountain. I think a pilgrimage is in order for you.

Hey Nikki,I was just wondering how best to kill myself after leaving an incredibly awkward, nervous, and embarrassing message on a girl's answering machine (a girl that I want to go out with). Have you guys seen Swingers? Picture the scene when Jon Favreau leaves a message and you'll know what I'm talking about.In all seriousness, is there any way that such a message could be considered cute and endearing? And in general, what is the policy toward leaving messages when attempting to call up a girl and ask her out? She we simply not do it? If we do, should we ever call back in case she didn't get the message or should we consider a lack of response a total rejection? Is it worse to embarrass ourselves by calling back after having left a message or to simply not call back at all and miss a possible opportunity due to either a message that was not received or a girl who is too "old fashioned" to call a guy back from a message.From, Confused and concerned in Connecticut (LLY)

Hey Nikki,I was just wondering how best to kill myself after leaving an incredibly awkward, nervous, and embarrassing message on a girl's answering machine (a girl that I want to go out with). Have you guys seen Swingers? Picture the scene when Jon Favreau leaves a message and you'll know what I'm talking about.In all seriousness, is there any way that such a message could be considered cute and endearing? And in general, what is the policy toward leaving messages when attempting to call up a girl and ask her out? She we simply not do it? If we do, should we ever call back in case she didn't get the message or should we consider a lack of response a total rejection? Is it worse to embarrass ourselves by calling back after having left a message or to simply not call back at all and miss a possible opportunity due to either a message that was not received or a girl who is too "old fashioned" to call a guy back from a message.From, Confused and concerned in Connecticut (LLY)
Hmmm. Let me ask some questions first:Does she strike you as the "old fashioned" type?? What did you say?How did you meet this girl?

Dear Nikki,So anyways this girl at work....We were really busy today so we didnt get to chat much...but she always gave me the "eyes" alot when we saw eachother...and even when i was at the computer resting a couple times...massaged my back a little. Then I got off and it was slow so we talked a bit...heres how it went (if i remember it right):Me: Im sorry U have to close tonight.AJ: Its ok...extra hrs. Need to prepare for school a lot in next couple months.Me: I hear that...so after u leave here on 17th...what you have to do?AJ: (Told me about her planning)Me: ANd when do I fit in there? ( we worjk this week then im off to BUffalo, NY til the 24th...so out date will most likely be the 25th or 26th)AJ: As soon as I can manage...believe me. I like you quite a bit as well, jsut not sure of many things nowadays.Me: Well, its good that we will get some time together to make sure.AJ: I think so too.Me: I'll se you tomorrow.AJ: Can't waitI think that went well...your thoughts?Also she has invited me to her graduation party on the 28th. I know many of her HS friends (girl AND guy) will be there. How should i prepare...what do I do? I just hope we can go out before then.oh and BTW...she is 18.Thank you,Nikki

Dear Nikki,So anyways this girl at work....We were really busy today so we didnt get to chat much...but she always gave me the "eyes" alot when we saw eachother...and even when i was at the computer resting a couple times...massaged my back a little. Then I got off and it was slow so we talked a bit...heres how it went (if i remember it right):Me: Im sorry U have to close tonight.AJ: Its ok...extra hrs. Need to prepare for school a lot in next couple months.Me: I hear that...so after u leave here on 17th...what you have to do?AJ: (Told me about her planning)Me: ANd when do I fit in there? ( we worjk this week then im off to BUffalo, NY til the 24th...so out date will most likely be the 25th or 26th)AJ: As soon as I can manage...believe me. I like you quite a bit as well, jsut not sure of many things nowadays.Me: Well, its good that we will get some time together to make sure.AJ: I think so too.Me: I'll se you tomorrow.AJ: Can't waitI think that went well...your thoughts?Also she has invited me to her graduation party on the 28th. I know many of her HS friends (girl AND guy) will be there. How should i prepare...what do I do? I just hope we can go out before then.oh and BTW...she is 18.Thank you,Nikki
Is there some reason you can't go out after work one night to get the ball rolling???