Wealthiest Professional Poker Player

i remeber listening to an interview with hellmuth that he doesn't play too many tournaments because it is a hassle to travel long distances. he then said he would fly to Las Vegas to take a private jet (not Ivey's) to some events. If Ivey had one, i'm sure we would hear from Daniel, or Hellmuth would have mentioned it. also, i think nice private jets cost about 30 million and i don't think he has that much

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Richest Pro Poker Players-Phil Hellmuth, Doyle Brunson, Lyle BermanRichest People that play poker-Andy Beal, Jerry Buss, Bill Gates etc.Poker Players that made the most from poker-Chip Reese, Phil Ivey, Doyle Brunson, Jamie Gold, Barry GreensteinThat is a brief list of what I think. Guys like Hellmuth make alot of money from other poker related things. Not sure if Doyle does, but I'd say he does. These guys are also considered pros.The next list is just a list of guys that play poker and are richThe final list is a list of guys that made the most money from poker imo. There's a lot of others guys of course, but this is just a sample.

On Poker After Dark, whilst Hellmuth was ranting, he mentioned that he's made $20 million from poker.Not sure if he means through tourney/cash games, or whether he means everything combined.

On Poker After Dark, whilst Hellmuth was ranting, he mentioned that he's made $20 million from poker.Not sure if he means through tourney/cash games, or whether he means everything combined.
not only that, he claimed he made $20million from his reading abilities
Daniel saids he has some investments that tie up a lot of his money. I'm sure his poker bankroll is still way bigger than all of my assets combined.
QFTMost of the Well off pros have their "money" tied up in investments. Their BR is actually quit small compared to the stakes they play!
Eli Elezra has a lot of businesses. Also Ivey bought a million dollar mercedes within the last two-three years.
is my sarcasm detector off, or did everyone miss this guy say ivey bought a million dollar car? lol
is my sarcasm detector off, or did everyone miss this guy say ivey bought a million dollar car? lol
my understanding is that ivey has a mclaren. i don't know how much they go for 500K+?gman: navybuttons is waiting

Where do you guys come up with this stuff. Ivey doesn't have have jet, he is leasing his car. There have probably only been 2 things in this 3 page thread that are true. Wowzer. Instead of gossiping, why not go over hand histories and improve your game, so maybe one day someone on a forum might say you have private jet

Does Ivey not own a large percentage of Full Tilt? Full Tilt is worth in the range of 100+ million, that alone would make him very wealthy!
Where does this number come from? I hate the internet, and yes, I do realize the irony of posting internet hate on the internet.
I think Phil Hellmith has got to be up there: he has less exposure since he primarily plays tourneys, and between UltimateBet, Oakley, Pepsi, book sales, DVD sales, Phil Hellmuth poker camp, Phil Hellmuth cell phone game, personal appearance fees, movie rights for his life ("Lucky You" is only until he is in his 20s; he plans to sell writes to the next portion of his life for another movie), etc he is very secure.My perspective is that for anyone without a stable outside source of wealth they are basically very financially insecure. Even someone like Doyle Brunson, who is held up as the epitome of poker being a viable profession, has been completely broke more than a dozen times; same goes for Stu Ungar, for Matusow,for Nguyen, etc. I remember in a past blog Daniel saying that when he was down 1 million in one session in the big game Ivey said he had "popped his cherry." Now, Daniel is much better at money management than the rest of the bunch (he doesn't seem to lose much betting sports or pit games) but losing 1mil in a session has to be at least 1/20th of his net worth. so that is a big hit. it's been said before that the primary problem is that almost every professional player spews money gambling in other ways (matusow, sports betting; ivey, pit games' cloutier, pit games; nguyen, pit games; hansen, sports betting and playing above his bankroll etc. etc.). It's as obvious that many professional poker players are degenerate gamblers as it is that many stockbrokers are pathologically greedy or that many people in law enforcement (police officers, prison guards, etc) are basically sadists. Personal proclivities point you on a career path. I think the true winners at poker are guys like Negreanu, Hellmuth, Lederer, Sexton that are able to get a solid piece of income that cannot suffer a bad beat. Don't get me wrong, I look up to Farha, Hansen, Deeb, and others--these guys are amazing gamblers. But if anyone remembers the Tomer Benvenisti sound bite from the 2003 WSOP "a lot of these guys are GREAT gamblers...and I don't necessarily mean that in a positive way."
yes....apparently you haven't heard of DN's golfing prowess.....and ain't no way DN is worth 20 MM. Look, we all like DN, but you don't need to stroke him while replying.
yes....apparently you haven't heard of DN's golfing prowess.....and ain't no way DN is worth 20 MM. Look, we all like DN, but you don't need to stroke him while replying.
Noone can know of course, except DN himself and people close to him, but if I had to guess, I would say, that number isn't too far off. According to Cardplayer he has 8,143,366$ in tournament winnings, and considering that he probably was a winning player in cash games for most of his life, that he doesn't seem to have such an extravagant life style and terrible leaks, and if his investments were reasonable, 20 million doesn't sound that high.
Ivey owning a private jet? How does anyone actually know?? It's not like he has a blog
Apparently he does have a jet, but he doesn't like to admit it... but everyone knows that he does really.z.jpg
Did somebody mention a jet?Quiet please.
I went out to the bar last night so I missed this whole thread. I agree that it is hard to prove. If Daniel wants to contribute to this thread and say definitively one way or the other I will abide by it. If he says Ivey doesn't have a private jet i will ship the money.

Hellmuth's reputation for tantrums and heckling competitors during tournaments earned him the nickname "Poker Brat." He can be anything but humble."How many people have a New York Times best seller, DVDs, a cell-phone game with 500,000 downloads?" he asked. "My picture is on every product I have out there. I'm on ESPN everyday. The celebrity stuff is just out of control."In a profession that is literally high stakes and in which money and titles mean everything, it's no surprise that when Hellmuth talks about motivation and success, it boils down to dollars."It's not all straight up. It's not all up," he said. "When I had dark times, sure, I allowed myself to feel down, but I always worked on my game. ... I would look back on my life and say, 'You had all this money. Now you're down to $4,000. Next month you're going to have $50,000.' I always looked to a bright future."Asked how much time he spends playing poker these days, Hellmuth's answer is surprising."Sometimes I don't play for a month," he said. "Sometimes I'll play 10 hours of online poker in one week, sometimes 40 hours of online poker in one week."He spends about one-third of the year traveling: attending tournaments, shooting commercials and emceeing celebrity poker events and charity benefits. During a celebrity poker game he was hosting recently at the Sundance Film Festival, he won a $700,000 condominium.Hellmuth is currently involved in so many projects he has to keep a list. It's called his "rejoice-evermore-be-thankful-everyday list," which he consults daily. Ranked after his wife and two sons, his accomplishments, fortune and fame and incredible poker talent are his projects: "The Madison Kid," a movie, which has yet to be green lit, starring Hayden Christiansen, who played a young Darth Vader in the newer "Star Wars" trilogy; his autobiography; his series of DVDs; endorsements for Oakley; Ultimatebet.com and a poker game downloadable on cell phones; a personal clothing line, poster and calendar deals; commercials; and "Card Player" magazine, of which he is part owner.As for Hellmuth's future goals, he wants to be the best poker player in the world. He would also like to buy his own personal jet.He said the jet will cut down the time he spends traveling and help him "be more focused on poker.""Getting a jet is all about having more time with my family. And the Phil Hellmuth logo painted on the tail," he deadpanned.As for criticism that he spends more time marketing his image than honing his skills, Hellmuth concedes it's true. Usually, family comes first, poker second and business third — but right now the business opportunities have as much priority as poker, he said."I might as well make a fortune while I'm at it," he said. "The guys that criticize me, they play high-stakes poker everyday, it's not necessarily an easy way to make a living. They're going to have their ups and downs. I just collect checks, watch my stocks. Not to say I don't love poker. ... When you have a chance to make that hundred million, you have to make it the same level as poker for a while."

Perhaps it is this may or may not clear up the Ivey private jet bet:http://www.bluffmagazine.com/forum/forum_p...2&PID=38334or not. Near the end of the thread Kenna James is talking about weasling a ride on Phil Ivey's private jet (which he then explains is actually Larry Flynt's jet on loan).Can't see these guys having the BR to actually own a private jet. Perhaps have a share with Marquis jets or something, but outright ownership prolly WAY too expensive. Unless of course you are Larry Flynt...

Phil Ivey doesn't play enough events to NEED a private jet. He spends most of his time in Vegas, playing side games and big Vegas tournaments, all he needs is his custom Bentley to drive to the Bellagio/Venetian.