January Goals

That looks awesome NoNeck.*************I'm going to do something somewhat irresponsible, yet quite thought out. I'm quitting my job ASAP. I only work 16 hours a week, and make a whopping $8.79/hr. I can use the extra time to focus more on school, and/or play more hands if needed. Tomorrow will be my last day. w00t.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks awesome NoNeck.*************I'm going to do something somewhat irresponsible, yet quite thought out. I'm quitting my job ASAP. I only work 16 hours a week, and make a whopping $8.79/hr. I can use the extra time to focus more on school, and/or play more hands if needed. Tomorrow will be my last day. w00t.
good luck.

Good move. If you're decent at poker and have been playing long enough to understand BR management, minimum wage jobs are very -EV. I never worked when I was in school anyway, so I can imagine that working, going to school, and trying to put in a decent number of hours at the tables would be really taxing on your time. I hope your not neglecting your "go out and get wasted" time. That's a very important part of the college experience.

Nice little session on Bodog this afternoon. Just over 2 hours, made $6,700. Yes, I'm still playing the 5/10 PLO game.I'm going to try to grind it out hard for the next couple weeks because according to 2+2, with Neteller pulling out, there's a small yet significant chance of Bodog running out of liquid assets when the cashout rush hits. I really, really doubt there will be a funds grab, but just to be safe, I'm probably going to cash out my balance for a while just before the Super Bowl.

I once played for almost a full day online with minimal breaks. Started at something like 9am when I woke and played for about 4 hours, had some lunch, played until about 7pm, had an hour off for dinner and then went deep in two consecutive MTTs (11th and 25th with 5000 and 2300 players respectively) from 8pm until 1am and then from 2am until 8am.I am never doing that again. Oh, and yes, it was because I dug myself into a hole in the first couple of hours and wouldn't quit.I have heard of people doing sessions lasting several days at a time playing live.
i've played for around 32 hours i think, i beat a live game for about 116 big bets. most long sessions are in the 22-26 hr. territory. online, i've never really done a long session until last sunday where i went for about 15hrs. taking a 3 hr. break to watch 24 and recharge my batteries. then i went to work for 8 hrs.when i'm losing i play short sessions. :club:
I'd say you racked up some pretty solid rakeback in 11 hours.
Ended up making about $130 for that period. I guess that's decent. ~$11/hr just for breaking even works.

So, just when I was thinking that I might be able to pull off playing for a living by basically working for rakeback and winning 1-1.5 BB/100, I sat down tonight and had the worst day of my life. For about 100 hands, every good hand I had ran into a monster and every big hand I had got sucked out on. Then I went on tilt and lost more, I managed to grind back about $50 before quitting multi-tabling at about 400 hands and down like $320ish. Then I decided to try to get some of it back by 1-tabling 5/10 6-max with a short buy-in of $150. That was a mistake. All told, I dropped $477 today. Roughly 25% of the roll that I'd worked very hard to build up over the past 1.5-2 months. It's depressing, but I'm not crying and I'm not drinking. I know that I need to go back to the drawing board with some discipline and just try to rebuild. I'll be back to playing 2/4 exclusively when I come back in a couple of days, but for now I think my best decision will be to take Thursday and maybe Friday off. I realize after today's session and my second session yesterday that discipline is the most important thing in poker and especially for me. I need to stick to manageable games and manageable session and I need to stay solidly rolled for what I'm playing. I played 2 tables of 2/4 SH and one of 3/6 SH while I was getting ***-raped and that was too high for the roll I had. I need to stick to 300 BB for FR and 500-600 BB for SH. I'm capable of beating these games for at least 1-1.5 BB/100, but I need to deal with the bad times and make sure to avoid tilt and always play my best. That's all I got for now.P.S. Yesterday I was thinking that I'd like to have a $2400 roll by the time my current lease is up at the end of February. At this point, that would require winning $1k between now and then. I'm not sure that's possible, but I do think I can have a steady roll of $2k, with 3/6 FR and 2/4 SH being my regular games by that point. That's doable and that's my current goal.

I really need to tighten up my preflop standards or do something to reduce variance if I'm going to keep playing these 5/10 PLO games. I got stuck $15,000 tonight (40% of my BR) and was just about to quit, but out of stubbornness, I was going to lose the last $250 I had on the table I hadn't gone broke on yet. Well, I doubled that up twice, then bought back in to the other table. Ended up making an $11,000 comeback and quit only down $4,000 for the session. Adding in my afternoon session, that puts me up $2,500 for the day. I'm basically addicted to this game though. I've put in a ton of hours lately just because I really enjoy playing deep-stacked PLO against loose players. I'm justifying playing over my roll by saying this game might not be around much longer with all the new legislation, but I know it's still probably a bad idea. I've had 3 downswings of at least 1/4 of my roll lately and that's just not healthy. You wouldn't think 35 buy-ins would be that short of a roll but that game's just ridiculously swingy.P.S. This isn't super relevant, but I wanted to mention that $3,000 of my losses tonight came on Stars. That site's the devil. I can't beat any highish games on there long-term. $1200 was playing 3/6 PLO while I was waiting for a seat in the 2nd Bodog 5/10 table, and the other $1,800 came trying to short-stack the 25/50 game when I was steaming from losing in the 5/10 game. I only put money on there because I was afraid I might not be able to with Neteller closing, but I think having money on that site is very -EV for me.

I really need to tighten up my preflop standards or do something to reduce variance if I'm going to keep playing these 5/10 PLO games. I got stuck $15,000 tonight (40% of my BR) and was just about to quit, but out of stubbornness, I was going to lose the last $250 I had on the table I hadn't gone broke on yet. Well, I doubled that up twice, then bought back in to the other table. Ended up making an $11,000 comeback and quit only down $4,000 for the session. Adding in my afternoon session, that puts me up $2,500 for the day. I'm basically addicted to this game though. I've put in a ton of hours lately just because I really enjoy playing deep-stacked PLO against loose players. I'm justifying playing over my roll by saying this game might not be around much longer with all the new legislation, but I know it's still probably a bad idea. I've had 3 downswings of at least 1/4 of my roll lately and that's just not healthy. You wouldn't think 35 buy-ins would be that short of a roll but that game's just ridiculously swingy.P.S. This isn't super relevant, but I wanted to mention that $3,000 of my losses tonight came on Stars. That site's the devil. I can't beat any highish games on there long-term. $1200 was playing 3/6 PLO while I was waiting for a seat in the 2nd Bodog 5/10 table, and the other $1,800 came trying to short-stack the 25/50 game when I was steaming from losing in the 5/10 game. I only put money on there because I was afraid I might not be able to with Neteller closing, but I think having money on that site is very -EV for me.
wtf, insane swings dude. Somehow you seem to keep digging yourself out of the 5 figure holes. Nice job.

I'm not sure if I ever want to play LHe again. At least not for a while. I have had absolutely no desire to play poker at all this month, except the first day, which I put in almost 60% of my hands in. I'm going to try to switch to SNG's for a while. I'll play micros for a week or two, then work my way up. Maybe try something like turning $50 or $100 into 1k or something stupid like that.I'll keep a full roll for $1/2 for when I decide to make my triumphant return to LHE.

10 straight winning days.Happy times. :club:
I'd love to have one winning day.These 4.40 180 mans are frustrating as all hell. I'm playing well (I think) and I feel I'm one hand that holds away from winning, or at least not finishing 8th.
well it is 6am EST maybe all the fish went to bed.
Seriously. I stacked people like 5-10 times over the course of 10k hands. The tables were so tight it was insane.Edit: Games on stars have gotten so tough its insane. Literally playing 5/10 lhe 6 max today each table(7 in total) ran at VPIP between 25-30 and pfr between 14-20. Online poker truly is dead or near dead imo.I think im just gonna grind 3/6 lhe for a while

FTR, the games at Bodog are terrible right now too. They're not filled with TAGs or anything, they're just almost empty. Last weekend, there were three 5/10 PLO tables running all night with average stacks of around $3,000, and during the week, there have been two tables most of the time. Tonight, there was just barely one table open, I only saw one other player briefly get over a $3,000 stack and at one point I was playing 3-handed there. I tried getting people to play me HU on the other table for a while, but when they did sit, they'd just win one small pot to get up $100 or something and leave so I finally just gave up.

Didnt notice a difference on AP the last few nights. Looked pretty normal to me. Except that there were no 25/50 games going. Other than that - regular day.Stars 5/10SH looked pretty alright at 6am this morning. I played a couple tables, and each had at least one guy who reeked hard despite that i just picked the first ones that were open.

Bah, the PLO games were actually going decent for a while tonight, so I got on and decided to 3-table. With the shitty Bodog software and my small laptop though, I think that might be one more table than I can play at peak capacity. Was reading forums in the background while playing too (of course) and got a little sloppy. Nothing played terribly, but my reads were off and I ended up dropping 12K. Boo.Oh, also lost $2,300 on football today, most of it on that ridiculous comeback by the Colts. So I'm really not having a great day when it comes to gambling.

OK. Feeling much better now. 10K's the threshhold where I really feel a loss and it sits and nags at me, so I ended up getting back online to try to get some back. Won 4K playing 5/10 PLO and 4K playing 10/20 NLHE to get back to a reasonable 4K loss for the day at the tables.