January Goals

Iggy, the more you post this...the more you make me want to play this game. TT93 in EP? And getting that much money into the pot? That's insane.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, TT93 raised PF, I 3-bet, villian min-raised, and I repotted to $630.Then villian led for the pot on the flop, I raised to $5100, and he pushed for the remainder. Only took two streets to get in for ~8K each :club:

Congrats Iggy:Sucks I lost the biggest pot of my life yesterday at Artichoke Joes. Playing 10-10-20 NL. After about 8 hours, I built my stack to 48k and villan covers. Have K-K flop 2nd set. Board pairs on the bottom card on the turn. We get it all in. Of course she has A-A for top boat. I played the hand like an idiot and should have practiced pot control on the turn vs this villan. Instead I push. The moment she insta called, I knew I had just lost the biggest pot of my life. I honestly can't even describe how it felt. Sitting there shipping 48k+ in chips across the table. The floorman asks if I want to rebuy. I take 10k out of my bag, but how can I honestly continue playing after that. It would have been great if the case K fell. That was honestly the longest BART ride home and the worst part is that I know I misplayed the hand. I should have lost around 20k in that hand instead of getting stacked.

That is sorta gross.
I agree 100%. That turn push is probably the worst play I have made in my entire life. What can she call with? She is not felting with A-K there. She is calling with 5-5 and she is calling with A-A; no other hand is calling. I had a brain fart after 8 hours of playing and it cost me. I have never really allowed a loss to affect me, but this one has bc of my own idiocy. I got caught up in the moment with all the money involved and didn't think the hand through. She actually said that she thought I had 5-5 after I put in the 4th raise on the turn all in so quickly. DOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Sounds rough Marv. That's actually why I hate NL and don't make it my primary game. One bad hand like that can haunt you for days. Just from an emotional standpoint, I find LHE, PLO, pretty much any other game easier to deal with.As for me, I cashed out about $6,000 below my peak, but still finished the day up $24,200, nearly double my previous best day's total, and nearly doubling my BR as well. My bankroll's now officially over 50K.

Sounds rough Marv. That's actually why I hate NL and don't make it my primary game. One bad hand like that can haunt you for days. Just from an emotional standpoint, I find LHE, PLO, pretty much any other game easier to deal with.As for me, I cashed out about $6,000 below my peak, but still finished the day up $24,200, nearly double my previous best day's total, and nearly doubling my BR as well. My bankroll's now officially over 50K.
It wasn't a bad hand at all. It was an easy spot that I played like a complete donk. If I was only 2 hours into the session, I would play pot control after I get 3 bet on the turn. Maybe even after she called my raise on the flop. It was def a cooler hand, but I componded my problems by not reconizing the fact that she wanted to play a huge pot when we were uber deep. At least I learned something.

I didn't mean "bad hand" as in bad luck. If I lose a huge pot as a 60/40 dog or something, it really doesn't bother me much. What I meant is that one hand that you played badly is really going to haunt you since you know that you have no one to blame but yourself. Variance doesn't tilt me, but knowing that I just made a single mistake that's going to take me hours and hours to get back sends me spiraling like crazy.

You were 25 buy ins deep. Lool.Sounds like it was a pretty awesome session up to that point. Even 20k is a stretch considering how well defined hands are on a board like that. 10 buy ins is a ton. I'd love to see the action that lead up to it.

It wasn't really a GREAT session. Depending on the players in the table, you have an option of an uncapped buyin (if everyone agrees). I bought in originally for 15k. The average was 10k - 15k, some 70 year old guy bought in for 40k (a little bit of overkill). The game plays ALOT bigger than a normal 10-20 NL game. First, the required bring in is 40 dollars (there is no limping) and the standard opening raise was between $240-$350. I stacked one guy who had a full stack and once vs. a short buy. I'm ok with the hand now. Live and learn. Here is how the hand went (I remember every detail). The table was 8 handed. I was in MP (can't remeber exactly where I was in relation to the button). UTG+1 limps and someone else limps. I raise to 300 with K-K. CO (one of the fish in the game) calls and SB (the dumb *****) raises to 1000. 2 early limpers fold. At this point, I know exactly how deep we are and I wanted the fish to stay in the hand so I just call and so does the CO (surprise, surprise).Flop: A-K-5 (two hearts)SB bets around 2.6k and I raise to 7k. CO folds and SB calls!Turn: 5 (can't remember the suit)SB donks into me for like 4k (WTF). I sitting there wondering why is she donking so small; the pot is huge right now. I remember distinctly that I thought she was trying to set her price for a flush draw (looking back my analysis was horrible). Well at best she is drawing to one out since I got a boat, so I pull the beautiful minraise, haha. There is no way she can fold to a minraise. I'm expecting a flat call and praying a heart falls on the river. She minraises me back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have no clue what I was thinking at the time. I remember saying "all in" the moment she minraised me. I heard the words coming out of mouth, but I couldn't believe I said that. I still had ALOT of money behind at this point; alot less than half my stack was in the pot. She thought for about 30 seconds and I knew I was beat and there is no way she is getting away from her hand. She actually said "if you got it, you got it" before she called and I wanted to throw up even before said "I call"At this point she shows her hand and I said I have one out. Try to imagine this part: I have my hand on the armrest with my face in my hand so I don't see the river. There are alot of people around the table now and I hear some railbirds and players say "OHHHHHHHHHHH" pretty loudly. I look up and see paint on the river. Turned out to be a J. I had a glimmer of hope for a second.I played pretty damn badly on the turn. The flop was fine. I'm only losing to AA at this point. She would call with A-K and a heart draw since we are so deep. The turn is so shitty I'm embarassed. I still can't describe why I pushed. A-K is not calling and the flush draw is not calling. I allowed her to play perfect poker. I like my minraise on the turn (but I would usually make a normal raise). I should have just called her min re-raise. Even now, after discussing the hand with a bunch of players I respect, I still don't know what I would have done if I flat called and she made a big bet on the river, but I would have likely folded. Berate me for my play on the turn, I honestly deserve it. I don't deserve any sympathy here. Lets call it for what it is; I played my hand like a donkey on the turn. I'm honestly dont even care anymore about the size of the pot that I lost. I'm taking a break from poker bc of my bad play. WTF was I doing on the turn? I still can't make sense of why I pushed. Whatever............... just have to refocus and put this hand behind me.

It wasn't really a GREAT session. Depending on the players in the table, you have an option of an uncapped buyin (if everyone agrees). I bought in originally for 15k. The average was 10k - 15k, some 70 year old guy bought in for 40k (a little bit of overkill). The game plays ALOT bigger than a normal 10-20 NL game. First, the required bring in is 40 dollars (there is no limping) and the standard opening raise was between $240-$350. I stacked one guy who had a full stack and once vs. a short buy.
Sounds like you could just hire some guy who didnt know how to play poker to wait around for QQ+ or AK and push when it's opened. You'd get one of those hands 3% of the time, play about 35 hands in between getting one and therefor paying on average about $100 in blinds.Depends on how observant the rest of the table is, but im guessing they wont care much about shoving an extra $1,500 getting 2:1 when they're $40,000 deep.
Sounds like you could just hire some guy who didnt know how to play poker to wait around for QQ+ or AK and push when it's opened. You'd get one of those hands 3% of the time, play about 35 hands in between getting one and therefor paying on average about $100 in blinds.Depends on how observant the rest of the table is, but im guessing they wont care much about shoving an extra $1,500 getting 2:1 when they're $40,000 deep.
Smash strat for live games?
Smash strat for live games?
It's really a whole lot simpler than that.In order for someone to play small pairs or suited aces for set and flush value, you'd need really really deep due to the size of the preflop raises.And there are a lot of judgement calls with respect to how much to call preflop just because you dont know how much you'll get paid if you flop the set.It isnt like the micros or a live 1/2 game (im guessing) where someone is getting stacked every time with top pair good kicker. What you want is to be playing a game where your stack is relatively trivial. They wont mind making bad preflop decisions against you if it lets them get in on the action with other players post flop.If someone raises to $350 preflop and gets 2 callers, your push for $1,650 more isnt going to send their head spinning. Even if they KNOW your range is QQ+ and AK.

Happy days. Im only done 42k hands out of 50k that i planned on playing for January and i just passed $12k on the month. Another 5 days to go still too. I am already perfectly content with how the month has gone even if i made no more progress after this.

It's really a whole lot simpler than that.In order for someone to play small pairs or suited aces for set and flush value, you'd need really really deep due to the size of the preflop raises.And there are a lot of judgement calls with respect to how much to call preflop just because you dont know how much you'll get paid if you flop the set.It isnt like the micros or a live 1/2 game (im guessing) where someone is getting stacked every time with top pair good kicker. What you want is to be playing a game where your stack is relatively trivial. They wont mind making bad preflop decisions against you if it lets them get in on the action with other players post flop.If someone raises to $350 preflop and gets 2 callers, your push for $1,650 more isnt going to send their head spinning. Even if they KNOW your range is QQ+ and AK.
I guess you could do that. If you buyin for the min of 2k, but you still need the right table. The problem is that most of the players in this game are nits; I'm honestly the only LAG that plays in the game. I think playing against a player like me, that would be the best strategy because of my style. I could honestly care less if a short stack does that. My style is geared more towards the big stack. I raise and call with such a wide range that they honestly can't put me on a hand.

Just waiting for the feb goals thread now...lol.I'm swearing off cash games. Ran 600 up to 2400 in about a week with admittedly horrible br management, and then donked off 800 with AA vs 44 when he outflopped me.Oh well. Have 300 in rb coming from absolute and about 500 left on stars, after cashing out a grand just so the gf wouldn't have to watch me blow it...lolI've been playing 5-7 tourneys a day and have been going deep in most of them. Sticking to omaha only right now (both plo and plo8). Made 2 final tables on stars this weekendin the 30+3's and came 11th/280 in the 4k gtd hi/lo tonight (i should have ft'd that too but semi bluffed at the wrong moment with nut flush/nut low draws and missed)Anyways, that's sorta where I'm at right now. How did the rest of you make out for the month?

How did the rest of you make out for the month?
Oh hi.I crushed this month, waaaay above expectations.So far, profit is at ~$4k.I've even decided to head for Vegas.Actually, I'm gonna take my gf for a trip to somewhere warm for reading week (budget spring break we have in Feb), and basically, flight+hotel in Vegas is cheaper than anything else, and well, ya, obv I pushed for it, since I've never been.Feb 19 - Feb 23 if any of you donks are down there, I'd love to meet up, play some pokah, etc.Stayin at the Trop, haven't booked it yet, just waiting on a withdrawal, and I kinda want to finish the month at AP before withdrawing from there.Either way Trop, Feb 19-23. Hit me up.I'm PHUCKING psyched.Cheers.- Zach

Had my BR up to 250, then yesterday I dropped down to about 200 after a terrible day with some pretty bad beats. Worked it back up some but then lost my entire stack at a table with AA vs KK all-in preflop after I limped, he raised, I reraised, he reraised, and I moved in. King hit the river and I lost my entire stack. A few situations like that have really been making things difficult for me (AA<JJ). Down to 181.30 so I'm going to really need to step it up if I want to reach 250 again by the end of January. I did well for most of the night tonight before that unfortunate incident and hopefully will continue to do well tomorrow.