Who Is The Best Nl Hold'em Player In This Group?

Who is the best  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Best NL Player in this Group?

• Phil Gordon
    • Phil Laak
    • Andy Bloch
    • Howard Lederer
    • JC Tran
  2. 2. Who is the Worst NL Player in this Group?

• Phil Gordon
    • Phil Laak
    • Andy Bloch
    • Howard Lederer
    • JC Tran

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Best: Laak...basing this completely on what ive seen on tv and posts ive seen on 2+2...Lederer would probably have been a favorite if he was still playin more but since even he has said his game has slipped from lack of play i think he wins. Dont have much info on some of the others especially jc tran though i have a feelin dn will say himWorst: Gordon mainly b/c he was in the same boat as Lederer with not playin as much and being weathly from nonpoker i think he is at higher stakes from that not from skill

Phil Gordon is an example of the old additive "those who cant, teach". Just like your old art history teacher or band teacher they know a ton of information about the subject in hand however just cant seem to imply what they know and teach. That being said Little Blue Book was a pretty good read

Phil Gordon is an example of the old additive "those who cant, teach". Just like your old art history teacher or band teacher they know a ton of information about the subject in hand however just cant seem to imply what they know and teach. That being said Little Blue Book was a pretty good read
Adage....those who cannot do, teach......those who cannot teach - teach gym......those who cannot teach gym - write poker books.

I think most people are voting for personality, and not just poker skill.Nothing against Laak - I like watching him and obviously, he'd kill me in a game, but I don't see him in the top of that list. He even acknowledges that he isn't up to that level in columns, as he'd much rather play lower stakes since the money is much easier, than sit at a higher stakes table with players like Doyle or Jen Harman.

Adage....those who cannot do, teach......those who cannot teach - teach gym......those who cannot teach gym - write poker books.
haha damn, thanks. Im not thinking clearly

I think since most of us haven't played with any of these players you have to go with results and say JC Tran from his tournament results or Laak because of his known cash game prowess. I voted for Tran. As for worst I think its a tossup between Gordon and Bloch. Bloch has proven to be good in HORSE but hasn't really proven much in NL holdem except for one big event where I think he took second. Gordon because I saw my buddy who I used to play water polo with pwn him heads up for about 3K on FT. BTW I was just playing $5 cash games with the guy only a couple months ago lol. So I voted Gordon. I think Gordon is still a good player though. He has won a WPT and that Full Tilt infomercial tournament on Thanksgiving. I think if I could go back and vote for Bloch I probably would. I didn't vote Lederer because he hardly plays anymore so its hard to judge how good he is.

Shocked to see anyone vote for JC as the worst in that group? Forget about his results this year, if you've ever played with him you might change your mind.
Thats the thing, NOONE here has played with him and he isn't a well know player who makes it on TV lots. Thus people draw the conclusion that he must suck. I think hes good but I like Laak more. He might not play the highest stakes but he plays very well from what I have seen.
I think hes good but I like Laak more. He might not play the highest stakes but he plays very well from what I have seen.
The worst is pretty borderline between Laak and Gordon. Did you even seen Laak on HSP? His play was so terrible. He laid down winners to small bets and made it blatantly obvious when he picked up a hand. "I raise to 44,400." WTF is that?

Best: LaakWorst: GordonI like JC Tran's NL tourney skills but I don't think he played too much NL cash games until recently. Where as I've seen Phil Laak playing in the NL games at Commerce, Bike and Bellagio quite often. I'm pretty sure JC was a limit grinder before his recent tourney sucess (I could be wrong here though).

Thats the thing, NOONE here has played with him and he isn't a well know player who makes it on TV lots. Thus people draw the conclusion that he must suck.
Sure they have. Seems like an odd statement to make. Prtypsux has been at a WSOP final table with him, and I'm sure a lot of tourney players here have played with him either live or online. I have, and I've played maybe 5 tourneys in my life that he was in.Best: JCWorst: Bloch (no reason, just know the least about him when it comes to NL)Mark