Slow Play, Or Bet Hard?

Ok, I have been a lurker on this site for awhile now, but finally a member. Some of you guys crack me up and then the others...well there are always Hi-Jackers and flamebaiters.I have a questionYou get dealt pocket aces. What makes people slow play them to milk the pot and what makes people bet hard to get everyone out. It seems that when I slow play someone rivers me out of the pot and when I bet hard I only steal (if that is what you want to call it) the blinds. I am curiouse if people have hard and fast rule on this or if they look at table dynamics.

For me, it is situational. I want to get value for a good hand, but that means letting the Villans catch up. I do not play them the same each time. Recently I caught Pocket Aces 2x in 4 hands. The first time I riased preflop to eliminate limpers. I was able to catch a guy over playing top pair (Jacks) off the flop. The second time I slowed down a bit and someone else did my "dirty work", this time I caught the set, no one put me on pocket Aces because of how I had just played them and was able to bet hard and get action. That paid off nicely too.

Ok, I have been a lurker on this site for awhile now, but finally a member. Some of you guys crack me up and then the others...well there are always Hi-Jackers and flamebaiters.I have a questionYou get dealt pocket aces. What makes people slow play them to milk the pot and what makes people bet hard to get everyone out. It seems that when I slow play someone rivers me out of the pot and when I bet hard I only steal (if that is what you want to call it) the blinds. I am curiouse if people have hard and fast rule on this or if they look at table dynamics.
Depends on the situation but i rarely slow play with them. When I do its usually cause i have like and average stack and a double up will almost ensure I cash. It makes it worth the risk then. If someone catches 2 pair so be it. I find that the people that whine that they never win with pocket A's are usually the ones that slow play with them to much.

Short answer: It depends.Long answer: Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit deeeeeeeeeppppeeeeeeeeeennnnnnddddssss. You pretty much never want to let a lot of people see a flop with you, so if you can slowplay them against one opponent, either by just calling his raise or by limping from the SB to his BB for example, that's sometimes a very good play.

Short answer: It depends.Long answer: Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit deeeeeeeeeppppeeeeeeeeeennnnnnddddssss. You pretty much never want to let a lot of people see a flop with you, so if you can slowplay them against one opponent, either by just calling his raise or by limping from the SB to his BB for example, that's sometimes a very good play.
Coming tomorrow?
If you play weak/tight, then slowplay or everyone will just fold to you. If you play loose/aggressive then don't slowplay.Mark

I think low stakes cash games are different than tourny play. I really don't care about taking down $.35-$3 in blinds.Lets face it, aces are just a pair. Yeah, they can win without improving, if a pair is enough. If you hit the set on the flop a lot of times you have to duck it to get any action later. That's when the A3 usually realizes he screwed up and bails if you bet. You need a nice draw on board to get action betting out with an ace on board, or a little set. Then you eat them too many times, and come here and use words like rigged.

I think low stakes cash games are different than tourny play. I really don't care about taking down $.35-$3 in blinds.Lets face it, aces are just a pair. Yeah, they can win without improving, if a pair is enough. If you hit the set on the flop a lot of times you have to duck it to get any action later. That's when the A3 usually realizes he screwed up and bails if you bet. You need a nice draw on board to get action betting out with an ace on board, or a little set. Then you eat them too many times, and come here and use words like rigged.
Any guess what the most common winning hand is in TxHE?One Pair.Pocket Aces is a pretty strong starting hand I'd say.
Any guess what the most common winning hand is in TxHE?One Pair.Pocket Aces is a pretty strong starting hand I'd say.
ummmm, have you ever played 2/4 LHE live at a full table? The most common winning hand is certainly not one pair. Once again the answer is, "it depends."

If you slow play Aces in limit you are doomed for failure. IMO never slow play Aces in limit for any reason. Always cap PF and flop if possible if raised on turn prob time to fold depending on the board.In NL , for me, it depends on position . Never slow play them from the blinds, once in awhile limp reraise from early position most of time just be aggressive. I like cold calling a raise from late position many people are too aggressive and think they can make you fold "top pair" these people end up value betting the hand for me.Gunnarr

it depends on position for me.if im in early position, ill often limp hoping to get raised, but if im in late position im raising hoping to take down the blinds/play the pot heads up

Actually the most common winning hand at showdown in HE is two pair. Though that may be for limit only where you see more showdowns and of course a pair on the board counts too.Like everyone said how to play aces depends on your position, action in front of your, composition of the table, your stack size vs others, etc. There are times (tournament your short stacked and need a double) where playing it fast is dumb. There are as many times (loose passive cash game) where playing it slow is even dumber. Generally though you'll make fewer mistakes playing AA fast than trying to milk it. Specially if you're not particularly good at hand reading post flop.

If you play weak/tight, then slowplay or everyone will just fold to you. If you play loose/aggressive then don't slowplay.Mark
Thanks, never really thought about that angle. I am fairly new player when it comes to sending false tells and trying to read people.
Thanks, never really thought about that angle. I am fairly new player when it comes to sending false tells and trying to read people.
No problemo! Don't play too tight so you never have to bother slowplaying, thats my advice :)Mark
No problemo! Don't play too tight so you never have to bother slowplaying, thats my advice :)Mark
Well, I am a tight player. I think one of my biggest advantage is that I can sit at a table for hours just looking at cards and not playing. I am very patient. I limp in here and there and pay to see the river, but my stack goes up about 25% and goes down 25%. Very back and fourth until I have big hands and trap somebody in the pot.I think it is kind of rookie play, but it is all I have right now.