How Far Do You Go To Chase The Fish?

So this lady who frequently raised/capped OOP with horrible hands (Q4os for one) while playing some $2/$4 short handed, kept trying to taunt me into playing some $10/$20. Now, for my current b/r given that I took a big chunk of it out, that's pretty outside what I should be playing.How far is it correct to go above your b/r to chase the fish?

I am guessing it's not some random donk. A random donk would just challenge to a heads up match at the same stakes. A shark will look to increase the stakes. Why would a random donk playing 2/4 have enough of a roll on a site to play 20/40 anyways?

Well, his/her name was Roxy, which is generally going to be a woman, I hope.She was constantly rat-holing at $2/$4 short handed limit and was playing just horribly. I was the only one she was singling out to go to higher stakes. Could be a shark, but then again, playing heads up limit I'm really not that uncomfortable swimming with sharks as it's one of my strongest games.

chase those bstards to the ends of the earth. If i think there is a major donkey that I can play shorthanded or heads up against I will just about put my whole bankroll on the line. I mean yes you could lose but what better a chance then to make a big score? Even if I lost my whole bankroll playing above my head I would still be satisfied that I put my money up with a substantial edge.and actually I just did lose a lot of money playing heads up with a guy who had'nt beaten me in a 200 dollar heads up horse sit and go in like 5 trys, and then went on to beat me 3 straight times at the 500 dollar level, although I usually dont play that high in heads up sit n go's because of the variance and structure is pretty quick but it could have easily gone the other way.

So this lady who frequently raised/capped OOP with horrible hands (Q4os for one) while playing some $2/$4 short handed, kept trying to taunt me into playing some $10/$20. Now, for my current b/r given that I took a big chunk of it out, that's pretty outside what I should be playing.How far is it correct to go above your b/r to chase the fish?
How the heck do you know what sex an online player is....is the internet for heaven's sake....everybody lies.
How the heck do you know what sex an online player is....is the internet for heaven's sake....everybody lies.
Why does no one bring this up when people say "he" instead of "she," yet half of this thread has been devoted to me assuming villain is a chick. Gender assignment of the subjectmatter is arbitrary.However, if her name is "FluffyBunniesInAMeadow," I'm going to assume she's a she. If his name is, "YaDudeI'mADude4Real...NoSerious...I'mReallyADude," then I might say he's a he. Yeah, I could be wrong, but who gives a ****?

i think you are correct to not follow him/her to 10/20. very little good can come from playing at relatively high stakes, and it could really destroy your bankroll, since fish are high variance.In situations like this, the best option seems to be to try and play them HU or additional tables at the current limit. sure you'll sound like a bit of a pansy if you're not willing to raise the stakes, but this is the internet, so a bit of pride means nothing. otherwise you can always play them at 3/6, or even 5/10, depending on your roll.

Even if I lost my whole bankroll playing above my head I would still be satisfied that I put my money up with a substantial edge.
that get's the stupid award for this thread.unless by "bankroll" you mean "easily replenished money I play poker with, or go to the movie show with, whichever I feel like doing this week"then it would just be a bad use of the word bankroll.********************************************8MasterLJ:risk no more than you would risk against anyone else, essentially.Your potential swings are still high.

I think you're probably overestimating how bad they are... even assuming they dont adapt when they move up (which they almost certainly will, even if this isnt a hustle).If the worst you can say about them is that they raised too much and made light 4bets in a short handed game, you're doing this for the wrong reasons. If you just watch a few 10/20 tables you can find worse players pretty easily.I have in the past convinced miserably passive players to play me heads up at stakes higher than i'd normally play at the time. Which is really a much better proposition. But then, i still had about 2,000 bets at that level at the time.If you're as good as you think you are, it should take you no longer than a few weeks to accumulate the money to play at that level even assuming you're starting from a smallish 2/4 bankroll. So why rush? THe games arent going anywhere in the near future. People comparably bad will be playing that high later. If you're really good enough, you'll make it there pretty damn fast.

IMO, anyone who would "chase" a LAG, thinking or not, significantly outside of their BR is a fish. If I were a shark, I'd look for the better players to reel into the higher stakes. The "better" players (who would be willing to follow me) are the ones with the bigger egos who may not be able to preserve their BR and walk away after a few losses. They'd have to stay until they proved themselves the superior player. Especially to a woman fish! Then again, it may just be some moron who ran good and built a 10/20 BR overnight. You may very well be the superior player. That doesn't mean you will win. Biggest winners at my tables are (more often than not) the so called "fish". I dunno about you but I play 2/4 an my BR couldn't handle more than a few bad beats at 10/20....and I'd be playing scared. It's not like I would be able to hang around and wait for variance to do it's thing. No guarantees that fishy will either.How far can you go safely? How much of your BR are you willing to risk? Determine how much you are willing to lose. Can you stick to that limit or will ego rule?

I think you're probably overestimating how bad they are... even assuming they dont adapt when they move up (which they almost certainly will, even if this isnt a hustle).If the worst you can say about them is that they raised too much and made light 4bets in a short handed game, you're doing this for the wrong reasons. If you just watch a few 10/20 tables you can find worse players pretty easily.I have in the past convinced miserably passive players to play me heads up at stakes higher than i'd normally play at the time. Which is really a much better proposition. But then, i still had about 2,000 bets at that level at the time.If you're as good as you think you are, it should take you no longer than a few weeks to accumulate the money to play at that level even assuming you're starting from a smallish 2/4 bankroll. So why rush? THe games arent going anywhere in the near future. People comparably bad will be playing that high later. If you're really good enough, you'll make it there pretty damn fast.
Well, I didn't go, but relentlessly followed her around to all of the tables she was rat-holing at. It's always humorous when someone berates your play, calls you drunk or bad, then won't play with you.Thanks for the advice all.Maybe I should get back into HU. I generally only do it when I'm on limited time these days, as the focus of my game has been tournies and NL cash games as of late.
Well, I didn't go, but relentlessly followed her around to all of the tables she was rat-holing at. It's always humorous when someone berates your play, calls you drunk or bad, then won't play with you.Thanks for the advice all.Maybe I should get back into HU. I generally only do it when I'm on limited time these days, as the focus of my game has been tournies and NL cash games as of late.
I have found that heads up takes to much rake. You not only have to bust them, but you have to do it fast.
I have found that heads up takes to much rake. You not only have to bust them, but you have to do it fast.
Exactly. That's one of the reasons I stopped playing. You have to be playing $10/$20 or higher to make it worthwhile, or stick with the SnGs. But man is the play bad.