You Were New Once Too...

I know there are a lot of people who start off on these sites and quickly become disillusioned and give up. I know because I am one of them. I've played poker with friends and want to take it up a notch. I want to learn as much as I can so I can kick my friends butts! LOL Thats terrible I know! I don't know if joining these sites is the right move. If someone could stear me in the right direction, that would be great! Thanks!hillynicky

I know there are a lot of people who start off on these sites and quickly become disillusioned and give up. I know because I am one of them. I've played poker with friends and want to take it up a notch. I want to learn as much as I can so I can kick my friends butts! LOL Thats terrible I know! I don't know if joining these sites is the right move. If someone could stear me in the right direction, that would be great! Thanks!hillynicky
Ok.Steer you in the "right direction" for what?I'd say, try looking thru the Strategy sections and start posting some specific questions & scenarios.
strategy section if you want to learn. General if you want to be flamed.edit- flamed mean berated
What are you talking about?!? I get flamed in strat all the time!
Read a couple of books (can't fail with 'Super System' if you are serious about taking it up a notch or three) ... and start playing - lots! No substitute for practice and play. You'll learn something new after every session, or at least you should do. - Take notes on your own game, hands played, and winnings. (There are programs to help you - PokerTracker for example)Find a style that suits you. (Loose, aggressive, tight, tight/aggressive etc)After learning all of the basics - pot odds, playing in position, fold equity etc etc... just play hard. With more playing time, you'll become better at reading players, betting patterns, and the importance of position, chip stacks etc.And you can post in the Strategy forum with any hands that you have played that you need opinion on. Take opinion on board, but don't just accept it... try to think it out for yourself, and work out what is best for you.
If you're worried about 'catching flies' on an internet poker forum, you have issues much greater than my (lack of)kindness.That being said, it was a joke.
why the flies are trying to kill us all...haven't you heard?
If you're worried about 'catching flies' on an internet poker forum, you have issues much greater than my (lack of)kindness.That being said, it was a joke.
Stick to serious topics, Kerry.(sw)
I'm hesitant to post this in general, but you asked nicely.Super Secret FCP Strategy Section
Strat section, P5, 2+2. Read HOH 1,2,3, SS1 and 2. Play a lot, read a lot, play some more and read again.

So basically what you guys are telling me is to read. Hmmm I was hoping I could get tips from actual people. I'll def. pick up a book or two. But in the mean time, what else is up on this site? What do u all do here for fun? As you may or may not notice I am pretty bored here so PLEASE indulge me! :club: hillynicky

So basically what you guys are telling me is to read. Hmmm I was hoping I could get tips from actual people. I'll def. pick up a book or two. But in the mean time, what else is up on this site? What do u all do here for fun? As you may or may not notice I am pretty bored here so PLEASE indulge me! :club: hillynicky
Dude.Tips on what exactly? Asking "how do I get better" is too vague.Good learning comes from DIALOGUE and interaction. Not just saying "help me"Same thing with your request to "indulge" you. Try posting specific, interesting topics and start a conversation with people. Don't expect people to just come along and "indulge" you for your entertainment.The Internet is not here to just eliminate the social norms of interaction and dialogue.
So, you don't want to read but want to get better? It's not going to happen. At least read and post in the strat section here, 2+2 or P5. You will have to read something. Are you looking for a one liner that will solve all your problems?

I'm going to assume that you only know / play NLHE amd most likely only tournaments.Books - Harrington on Hold 'Em 1, 2 and the workbookSuper System is for super aggressive super high limit cash games, don't get that for HEFor cash games, Small Stakes Hole 'Em, whether you play NL or limit poker this will help you immensly.Otherwise, if you have a particular question about a hand - use the converter and post it in strat, be sure to make sure you include relevant information (see the first few pages of Harrington 1 to see what youo should include when describing a hand).GL

Dude.Tips on what exactly? Asking "how do I get better" is too vague.Good learning comes from DIALOGUE and interaction. Not just saying "help me"Same thing with your request to "indulge" you. Try posting specific, interesting topics and start a conversation with people. Don't expect people to just come along and "indulge" you for your entertainment.The Internet is not here to just eliminate the social norms of interaction and dialogue.
Well I've only been playing since the beginning of the year more or less. And I've only played No Limit Holdem. I've been brought into games where the players have been playing with eachother every week forever and I've cleaned house. But I think that was goodluck combined with the fearlessness of not comprehending yet what was at stake. Nevertheless I've never been invited back. I play whenever I can, but it seems that those who have already been playing with eachother for a while, don't like inviting new people in. So I really haven't gotten any practice. I am not up with the terminolgy either, most of what I read on these forums I feel I need translation for. So that is why I posted such vague messages, in hopes that maybe someone with more knowledge and know how would start a conversation with me and then I could ask questions as the conversation went on. This may be just another site where there is no tolerance for new people who are eager to learn and meet people who are already into poker...

take it from me, the best advice has been given already. read through the strategy forums, and other forums like P5's and 2+2, plus play alot. if you play online, then just play play play. dont stop. there is a section in here that says what all the abbreviations are if your ever stuck.if your after a 1-liner to get better here it ispractise makes perfectso never stop practising because you'll never be perfect.

Start off in Daniel's Forums and head SOUTH, stop after 11 paces.You should find all you need to know right there (or close by).on a side note: I think you are already a long time poster of this forum and are just messing with us. :club: Who are you really?If not, and you are a brand new member, then welcome to FCP :D