what a call by crazy gus

it might've been an older WPT, I'm not sure, but it was on TV tonight when I got home from Easter dinner with my girlfriend's family, but Antonio Esfandiari was holding two red 7's (forget what position), and raised to 30,000 (sorry, dont remember the blinds), Gus Hansen sitting 2 seats to Antonio's left, holding 8-10 of diamonds (as the chip leader), reraised to 100,000. Antonio sat for a while and finally said, "All-in". Gus Hansen checked his cards, and said, "There was no way I canfold a 10 high." (Gus was chip leader, but if he lost the all-in, his stack would be severely shortened). Of course I thought he was just playin, until he did actually call. I was amazed, and Antonio look stunned & confused when Gus flipped over his hand and said, "He's lost his mind....I don't get it." (I was agreeing with Antonio). Then the flop came with an 8, and Gus sent Antonio packing. What an incredible call I thought. Just curious if anyone had seen this and what there take on Gus' call was. The only reasonable thing I can think of is that since it took Antonio a while to move all-in, Gus put him on a small pocket pair, and figured by calling, it was basically a coin flip. What all you fcp'ers think?Peace :D

Chances are gus didn't think his hand was that strong so he was able to cancel out any pocket pair over 8. So at that pt he probly figured he was calling witha a 33%-50% chance of winning and just figured that he would gamble.still seems like a bad call to me, put all those chips in on a toss up or worse.

I think it was an ugly ugly call. I'll assume he had some kind of read on antonio, but I still think it was awful. It sounds like if Antonio wins that pot he becomes a threat... yeck. I'd have to know stack sizes to be sure, but it sounds terrible to me. I'd love to hear Daniel's opinion on this call.

JUST MY OPINIONwell gus says "this hand is easy to lay down since its 10 high"Antonio Smiles.Gus Calls immediately after.It looked to me like a smile of relief...if you had a strong hand...would you smile after someone goes well i cant call cuz i only have 10 high...What you guys think?Who the hell knows what goes on inside gus' head?Opp234

This call in "unconventional" at best, but that's what makes Gus a great pro, he'll play anything. He's a gambler. How can you play against a guy that will throw it all out there with 8 10..hey at least it was sooooted!

I also agree that it was a bad call, I just thought it was amazing that he was willing to call prolly around 3/4 of his stack just to be in a coin flip situation...it will only be recognized as a good call (or good read), because he did indeed end up winning the hand, had he come up blank, I'm sure he woulda been criticized by Mike Sexton and Vince Van Patten like crazy (along with everyone else)...however, that win did put him in commanding chip lead, he later took an ever bigger commanding chip lead when he picked up KJ and moved all-in vs Phil "the unabomber" Laak who was holding pocket 10s, then Gus spiked a J on the flop, and the turn and river came up dead. After that, he was over 1million in chips, and the other 2 stacks combined were roughly 200k. Still tho, he coulda been walkin out b4 the others had he lost on that crazy, but obviously worthwhile call. Believe me, if someone reraises all-in in front of me when I'm holding 10-8suited, you can bet your a$$ I'm muckin them babies, I don't care if I think they're holding pocket 2s, peace out to them cards.Peace :D

Here's what I'm guessing Gus' thought process was:1. I'm probably about a coin flip2. This is a freeroll for 25k3. I can make way more money playing in the cash game on the side4. If I call it will make for good TV and will increase my "crazy man" TV reputation, and it's not like I'm risking much to do it

This hand was on the "Young Guns of Poker" or something like that, which was a freeroll with the top prize being either a tiny (relatively) 1ok or something, and an entry to the WPT main event. It might even have just been an entry.So, I think he called because:1) He had already won an entry earlier in the season. 2) Advertising his crazy play like this was absolutely priceless. They mostly show his crazy hands on TV, but you know he has the goods throughout the tournament to get there, and gets just that many more calls because of things like this.3) He might have been bored and ready to go.Almost positive that it's because of 1 and 2... 3 is pure speculation.

He called because he put Antonio on exactly the hand he hand and was getting correct odds to call.The call was correct.Gus explained his reasoning in a card player interview a month or so ago.

It was raised and re-raised pre-flop, so the pot was laying gus the right odds to call, provided he knew that he had 7s or w0rse.This is one of those things where guses call is completely inline with the fundamental therum of poker.

Though it seemed crazy, I think it was a correct call. He knew he had 2 suited overcards and was getting the correct odds. It was a freeroll that only paid the winner, and he knew he'd have a great chance of winning the whole thing if he took down that pot.

Here's what I'm guessing Gus' thought process was:1. I'm probably about a coin flip2. This is a freeroll for 25k3. I can make way more money playing in the cash game on the side4. If I call it will make for good TV and will increase my "crazy man" TV reputation, and it's not like I'm risking much to do it
Thank You!!! Someone else understands this play!!!! Everyone else...READ THIS

the reason why gus called is because the first place prize was a seat in the WPT Championship and since Gus had already won his seat in the championship by winning a WPT event earlier in the season the bad boys tournament didnt matter to him. Therefore he had absolutely no reason to want to win. Thats why he made such a bad call with 10 high. seli

Gus is there to win. If he can add to his stack it would give him a huge advantage. I think he knew something and thought Antionio was on a power move. I like the fact that he was playing for the win and didnt mind going broke in the process. Ill bet Antionio will think twice about putting Gus all in again. Herb McCandlesswww.focusonpoker.com

I absolutely loved that call... It was the WPT bad boys of poker and what it did was scare the living crap out of everyone at the table.You watch the rest of it and they avoid getting in pots with him like the plague.If he loses (Which he could afford to do) he's just crazy gus... If he wins they he OWNS the table... Players like Paul Dardon who would normally come out all guns blazing just looked like they'd rather be any place else.Stu unger did the same thing when he called a huge bet with J high at the WSOP and won the pot. No one wanted to play with him and he got to raise 14 pots uncontested.Also, if you watch Antonio, he pushes small pairs REAL hard. Too hard in my opinion from early position... Still... He's won a couple of million and I haven't cracked $75 thouyet so I guess he won't lose any sleep over my criticism:-)

I feel that if Gus was holding AK, this post would never even come up, even though his odds would be pretty much the same. T8 vs 77 is not the bad call some of you seem to think it is. Pair vs overcards comes up ALL the time.I think it was a phenomenal read, but given the read, if he could put Antonio on a lower pocket pair, the call is pretty easy. Gutsy maybe to trust the read, but an easy call none the less.

Maybe Gus was playing for the implied intimidation odds against the table. He gets several advantages even if he loses the hand just by appearing crazy, but the take for winning is huge psychologically. If he wins, it will take at least 2 or 3 losses in similar situations to remove the fear from the short stacks. Maybe like with Stu Ungar, it will never go away. I note the skill with which he fixes the lunacy of his call in players' minds by telling Antonio there is no way he could fold ten high. It sows confusion into players who play systematically. It is not so crazy in reality, just a gamble with about even odds if Gus had a read. It disguises any system Gus is using by broadcasting that cards mean nothing to him. So overall, it was correct to do as a tactic once or twice in a session, but only for a super player who understands what he is doing.

This call in "unconventional" at best, but that's what makes Gus a great pro, he'll play anything. He's a gambler. How can you play against a guy that will throw it all out there with 8 10..hey at least it was sooooted!
This is so not true.... that's exactly what he wants you to think, and the people who actually think this are why he makes so much money. He knows exactly what he's doing.

Incredible call. You guys are right about the AK thing. Plus, for the money, it didn't really matter. I'm sure you've if you've played a freeroll you've done something crazy too. Said, I'll try and make a move here...if I get lucky, I got a good chance of winning this thing, else, I haven't really lost anything.Certainly makes the impression of Gus Hansen as crazy grow.

gus has the image of a madman but he also has a really good understanding of the math involved in the game.....many of his calls, although seem crazy are the mathematically correct call.....that with his ability to read his opponents are what make him so good....its controlled madness and only a few of the top players can play this way and make it work.....obviously he knows what he's doing....no one can argue with his results

T8s isn't that trashy headsup.If Antonio had Axo (where x<T but not 8) Gus is only as 46-53 dog, which is pretty much a coinflip.Even with two overcards, it's only 40-60, which isn't terrible given the payout structure. Flat payout structures reward gambooling.The only hands Gus really had to worry about were AA-TT, 88, AT, A8 and to a lesser extent 99.I'm chalking this up to an inspired read, and a great understanding of situational play.

I called once (because of gus) in a freeroll too.Though my opponent had pocket 7s vs my 7 - 10 suited.He was a small stack and I thought I had great pot odds. Turns out I had not so great odds.Lesson: I am not Gus Hansen.

Guest XXEddie

heres my thought, there was a buy in and only a 25k prize, whihc is only a big payday to the mark fella....You played WAY to tight!who just calls a Gus raise with AQ? Who woulda bet the turn with top pair and multiple flush drawssry, back to topic, lemme be gus"If I win...Ill have a lot of chips and can probably beat the table pretty quickly""If I lose and get knocked out, I can go play for hundreds of thousands of dollars.......hmmmm.....call"