An Honest Question About Posters On This Forum

you all are sure the riley bunch eh? i probably lock 10 threads a day and at least ban 3 or 4 people a week. I cant imagine if we tried to implement option 1.
I have been a moderator at a large site on the intrawb for over 5 years. In an average week take action on 900-1500 posts that are deemed violations. I suspend on average 20 people a day. In a week we take action on 18-22K marked posts. On top of that the users get to contest their moderations and I have to sift through 50-200 a week answering their questions on their moderations.So don't take offense when I say that I would find moderating this site to be a friggin cakewalk.
  • Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As mods, we can pretty much do whatever we want. These are our 2 options...1. Tighten up the rules and ban all of the trolls/morons/douchebags/etc from posting. While effective in keeping the forums clean, people complain a lot. We recieve a lot of PM's complaining about "what did I do wrong" and that crap. There are also 5 or 6 topics a day comparing us to Hitler.2. Only ban the people that are extremely bad. This results in a sloppier forum and the impression that we don't do a damn thing. It does, however, mean that people like us more because they're free to do whatever they want.I know that Keith and I love option 1, and Keith begs me to agree with him a lot. But, to keep our sanity, we've gone with option 2 for quite a while. Unless there's a high demand for option 1 (please?), I don't see much changing.
#1Because #2 ain't working.If I feel like posting BS I do it in General, not General Poker.

How about this...Instead of asking the mods to police the forum like madmen, how about all of the smartasses who make the dumb statements ("use the search function", "lock it up", etc.) STOP reading every freakin' post! The title is probably 99% effective at giving you the heads up regarding the threads content. If you have had all you can take regarding a particular subject then DON'T READ IT! It's not that hard. And if you wander into the thread against your better judgement, and feel inclined to make your stupid, sarcastic reply, just take a breath and back your *** right back out. Your comment isn't necessary and maybe you didn't know this, but nobody thinks you're clever for identifying that a thread is a duplicate. Maybe you think it makes you look clever, but it really doesn't.The problem with this forum now is that there are a bunch of people who apparently feel like they have some sort of elite status over everyone else. And they seem to think that they are entitled to ridicule posters who maybe didn't see that there was already a thread about a particular topic on the board. What a complete joke! Anyone who gives higher status to anyone else on an internet forum because of their post count is a retard. And anyone who thinks they hold some elite status because if their post count is a moron!We're all guests here on Daniel's forum, so stop acting like you own the place and stop berating people just because they made a duplicate thread. They have the right to create new threads just like anyone else here. DEAL WITH IT!

We're all guests here on Daniel's forum, so stop acting like you own the place and stop berating people just because they made a duplicate thread. They have the right to create new threads just like anyone else here. DEAL WITH IT!
In response to this, if you make a duplicate thread you are right, you should not get flamed, but you better get your post deleted. People flame these people because they are too lazy to either search or look three topics down. Where I mod, you get your topic deleted for being disruptive.
In response to this, if you make a duplicate thread you are right, you should not get flamed, but you better get your post deleted. People flame these people because they are too lazy to either search or look three topics down. Where I mod, you get your topic deleted for being disruptive.
In the case of the guy who made the thread with the petition, I think he deserves to be flamed. There was a thread regarding it at the TOP of the forum. It was the most recent thread and was already bumped to the top, how could you not even take a quick glance and see it?
In the case of the guy who made the thread with the petition, I think he deserves to be flamed. There was a thread regarding it at the TOP of the forum. It was the most recent thread and was already bumped to the top, how could you not even take a quick glance and see it?
I wasn't witness to what started this thread so I don't know much about it. I don't mind people getting flamed personally, but if the site is going to take a stance on it then they need to figure it out. Otherwise continue the status quo.
30/30/30 really isn't as appealing for a woman's figure as you might think...unless you like Republican pages...
*rimshot*Still catching up, but based on the responses so far, you may see some changes in the next few days.
if option 1 were implemented, there would be lots of complaints and whining, etc. we'd probably need another mod or two to help things.i think a good preceding step would be to put up a new, stricter set of rules, outlining the new policies. the difference is these rules would then be debated, edited, etc, so they'd be more the product of democratic agreement. that way it would be harder for people to complain, and mods could simply point to the new rules when pulling/editing posts.
QFTJust kidding. This is a good idea. I think with Keith, Alan, and now myself here, that should be enough. Alan never leaves the forum anyway.
The problem with this forum now is that there are a bunch of people who apparently feel like they have some sort of elite status over everyone else. And they seem to think that they are entitled to ridicule posters who maybe didn't see that there was already a thread about a particular topic on the board. What a complete joke! Anyone who gives higher status to anyone else on an internet forum because of their post count is a retard. And anyone who thinks they hold some elite status because if their post count is a moron!
Careful buddy, don't want you to blow a blood vessel.Actually, Kdawg and I were/are those elitist posters. There's a reason people have a strong dislike for me. You'll learn that in time. :club:

Option 2.but Strategy, moderate tightly.Moderate OT to keep the right "balance and intent" Thus flaming is encouraged but only if it's funny.lots of pansies complaining about silly things like "QFT".I like seeing "QFT" on my post. There are some on these forums that absolutely never ever ever ever contribute anything funny, interesting, intellgient, original, poker related, strategy...Yet they never do anything "bannable"So they just waste all our time.I'd like to get rid of all of you that don't contribute anything worthwhileI'll tolerate a few "lock it up" (annoying) if you make me laugh once in a while other times; or contribute in Strategy; or make a thought provoking post in OT; or stick to the Sports and contribute there. Whatever. I just have a low tolerance for those that honestly use this place solely as a dumping ground and never intend to make a contribution

The problem with this forum now is that there are a bunch of people who apparently feel like they have some sort of elite status over everyone else. And they seem to think that they are entitled to ridicule posters who maybe didn't see that there was already a thread about a particular topic on the board. What a complete joke!
I disagree. The problem is that there are many, many people who want to be considered "elite" and therefore make childish attempts to ridicule others as an attempt of elevating themselves. The real veterans here are rarely the ones in general posting the worthless drivel that we are discussing. It is those who want to be considered "cool" on the forum who end up making asses of themselves and bring the whole forum down a level.Also……OPTION 1
I disagree. The problem is that there are many, many people who want to be considered "elite" and therefore make childish attempts to ridicule others as an attempt of elevating themselves. Also……OPTION 1
you had me until the endOption 2AINEC.
One of the best posts ever on this forum. Im serious. I get sick of trying to go through threads only to see a bunch of geeks and nerds posting "QFT", "Lock it up," and other unnecessary junk. Some of the losers on this site need to go out and see the sunlight. F-ing loser. I bet you thought you were pretty clever posting this right after the OP's post, huh? Beat it nerd.
Don't you think you are being a little hypocritical here?Does someone need some sunlight?I agree with the OP but I am also guilty (as is just about everyone else on FCP) of posting +1's, QFT, Lock it up etc.I think if we all try to show some respect for our fellow forum members (trolls included) we may be able to help the mods clean up.I suggest that that November be a Flame Free month. Let's see if we can all restrain ourselves for one month.What do you say?

The answer is so obvious that I can't believe nobody has suggested it. Every post should have a rating bar at the bottom, 1 - 10. Everybody who reads the post rates it based on its useful content and/or humor, 10 being a perfect score. A minimum amount of votes must be made for the final rating of said post to be valid, say 20. Let's say you've made 10 posts that have all received the minimum amount of votes to count. Each of those posts counts towards your rating on a weighted average basis. Posts that receive more votes receive more weight.After a certain amount of posts made, say 50, your overall score is placed next to your post count. Knowing that people will see your score will motivate you to try to make a quality post. Maybe more people will type out a post, read it, look deep within to see if it is truly worthy of being posted on an internet forum, and then hit the backspace button, saving us all from the indignity of reading a subpar post.The final piece is that after 100 posts, anybody whose score drops below a set number (3? 4?) will automatically be suspended for one month. That person can then come back and will have 50 posts to get their score back up. Otherwise, banishment.Now this may seem like a lot of work and would probably require a complete overhauling of the forum, maybe even switching to a completely new forum board thingy, but really, isn't that a small price to pay so that we don't have to endure the hardship of reading another "lock it up" post?

In the time it took me to read the first 3 pages of this, there were 2 more pages added.Option 1.
is there a correlation?Should we have Option one so that the threads grow more slowly?Almost everone complaining here..."Show me a contribution you've made"Please!I know many of you have; but jeeeeez, some of you love to whine for the sake of whining. Let free speech flow in General.
The answer is so obvious that I can't believe nobody has suggested it. Every post should have a rating bar at the bottom, 1 - 10.
now that was funny.hope you meant it that wayit was.really
that you should not sit down when you pee.
But I'm so damn lazy ...I would just like to point something out, while I sit and pee.There are some posters that can make the above comment and get away with it. Actuary is one of them, I have had conversations with Actuary on a number of topics. Heck I even suggested a title for him. So I appreciate little shots like this. I laughed at the comment, it's funny. If a newb had said it then it probably would have started a flame war or something like that.Bottom line, get to "know" a poster before you make comments like this.Actuary, NHS :club:
The answer is so obvious that I can't believe nobody has suggested it. Every post should have a rating bar at the bottom, 1 - 10. Everybody who reads the post rates it based on its useful content and/or humor, 10 being a perfect score. A minimum amount of votes must be made for the final rating of said post to be valid, say 20. Let's say you've made 10 posts that have all received the minimum amount of votes to count. Each of those posts counts towards your rating on a weighted average basis. Posts that receive more votes receive more weight.After a certain amount of posts made, say 50, your overall score is placed next to your post count. Knowing that people will see your score will motivate you to try to make a quality post. Maybe more people will type out a post, read it, look deep within to see if it is truly worthy of being posted on an internet forum, and then hit the backspace button, saving us all from the indignity of reading a subpar post.The final piece is that after 100 posts, anybody whose score drops below a set number (3? 4?) will automatically be suspended for one month. That person can then come back and will have 50 posts to get their score back up. Otherwise, banishment.Now this may seem like a lot of work and would probably require a complete overhauling of the forum, maybe even switching to a completely new forum board thingy, but really, isn't that a small price to pay so that we don't have to endure the hardship of reading another "lock it up" post?
The problem with this is that it will never be a completely objective system. There are many people who hate certain users on this site and will do all they can to mark the posts low regardless of the content. I see way too much abuse for this to work. The site has already shown it's maturity. This system relys on a larger amount of maturity.

Please don't ever take anything I say seriously.Wait, except for what I just said right now, that was serious.Crap, that too.Aaaaaaa, I'm caught in the matrix of seriousness and can't get out! Whew, escaped just in time.

Please don't ever take anything I say seriously.Wait, except for what I just said right now, that was serious.Crap, that too.Aaaaaaa, I'm caught in the matrix of seriousness and can't get out! Whew, escaped just in time.
:club: You're funny.

"I went broke. How can I cope""KK call an all in preflop ?""I flopped a Royal Flush""Please Moderate better. These forums are getting bad""What will you do when Online Poker is Banned""Come rail me in the $4.40 180 Man, I'm 34 of 56""Hi, I'm NewGuy. Just wanted to introduce myself""How do you handle a downswing"can we ban someone who starts one of these?I'd rate them all -2.********************************8

Please don't ever take anything I say seriously.
I got the bestest sarcasm detector.Ask Bascomeb************oh god.Wowthat's posting.This will suck

I think the problem here in the General Forum is directly related to the behavior of the Veterans. I think a double standard has been set that even I have been guilty of. When newer people to the forum begin reading our posts and seeing how we interact with one another they think certain behavior is acceptable. When they then emulate our behavior we say they are out of line. Now whose fault is that? It’s like when a child repeats the behavior of their parents. You can’t really blame the child for doing the same thing they see their parents doing. If we really want things to change we need to clean up our acts and stop thinking just because we’ve been here longer the rules don’t apply to us. A lot of us are guilty of that. As Veterans of this forum and supporters of Daniel we should set an example and not be apart of the problem.

I think the problem here in the General Forum is directly related to the behavior of the Veterans. .
But the Veterans generally contribute elsewhere and in here.They just flame additionally.Lots of newer posters simply never do anything postive for the forum.Many of them are great, though.We can't even agree on what we dont' likeSome actually want to delete "QTF" posts ? why?I want to ban all the sorry saps that never contribute anything worthwhile.What's worthwhile?Well, that's subjective.I"ll tell you after I ban em************8Wowthat's still writing...