An Honest Question About Posters On This Forum

The only thing I will add to this thread is that DN left RGP because of the way people treated each other. Lots of flaming, attacks, and the like by posters which was bringing the newsgroup way down. RGP is competely unmoderated (and I hope continues to be that way, but that is another subject) so you can't really do anything about it besides stop reading (and use a ton of filters), but FCP is not. I have faith that the moderators will come up with a solution because they are all good people, and hopefully they can get DN's opinion since he is the one that created this place for discussion.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to the MissIdaho Actuary conversation...I think if we are all rule following losers the forum will be boring. I like seeing DDIDM post something hateful or talk about how awesome he is, it's funny. It's funny because he's been here a long time, he writes well, and he feels like a part of the community.People should be treated differently, you don't barge into a new community and try and take over. You find your niche, then you earn your way up to other things. Actuary was always a sarcastic prick, but he helped with strat first, then decided hey, I can flame people for being stupid, I've contributed.Though it is subjective, isn't that what we have mods for? Weren't they nominated? I mean the trust of the community ultimately falls in their hands. I think it's a tall task, but most people want them to do these things, so if the community feels like it would be better with crazy moderating go for it, it likely won't affect me.But to tell everyone to calm down and set a good example is lame. We have personalities that we shouldn't be forced to curb once we've built a reputation here.

You find your niche, then you earn your way up to other things. Actuary was always a sarcastic prick, but he helped with strat first, then decided hey, I can flame people for being stupid, I've contributed.[snip]But to tell everyone to calm down and set a good example is lame. We have personalities that we shouldn't be forced to curb once we've built a reputation here.
I :club: ufwiw I went quite a long time before flaming
I agree with your premise, but, the 30/30 thing won't fix it, it's not the newbies that are being jackasses. Yeah, the first few posts are always, "Hey, DN", or something old, something lame. So what? Ignore them and they scroll off like butter on a hot knife.It's the guys that have been here long enough to think they own the place that tear every thing down with BS and flamming.I don't know how we get any new members.
i agree with this. it's old to read TP/MM and "lock it up" everytime someone errantly makes a post that's been in another thread. seriously--who cares?it's also pretty awful when someone wastes the time to post in a thread about how stupid the thread is. if you don't like it, why not just ignore it instead of starting something by flaming someone who won't be able to resist flaming back? over and over and over this is what i see.i used to like FCP's forums a lot better than now.

This thread reminded me so much of Team America:See, there's three kinds of people: dicks, pussies, and assholes. Pussies think everyone can get along, and dicks just wanna **** all the time without thinking it through. But then you got your assholes, Chuck. And all the assholes want is to **** all over everything! So, pussies may get mad at dicks once in a while, because... pussies get ****ed by dicks. But dicks also-****-assholes, Chuck. And if they didn't **** the assholes, you know what you'd get? You'd get your **** and your ***** all covered in ****!

In response to the MissIdaho Actuary conversation...I think if we are all rule following losers the forum will be boring. I like seeing DDIDM post something hateful or talk about how awesome he is, it's funny. It's funny because he's been here a long time, he writes well, and he feels like a part of the community.People should be treated differently, you don't barge into a new community and try and take over. You find your niche, then you earn your way up to other things. Actuary was always a sarcastic prick, but he helped with strat first, then decided hey, I can flame people for being stupid, I've contributed.Though it is subjective, isn't that what we have mods for? Weren't they nominated? I mean the trust of the community ultimately falls in their hands. I think it's a tall task, but most people want them to do these things, so if the community feels like it would be better with crazy moderating go for it, it likely won't affect me.But to tell everyone to calm down and set a good example is lame. We have personalities that we shouldn't be forced to curb once we've built a reputation here.
It's not a matter of telling everyone to calm down, it is a mmater of saying if we want to be sarcastic pricks we can, but then we also have to let eveyone else be sarcastic pricks as well.
It's not a matter of telling everyone to calm down, it is a mmater of saying if we want to be sarcastic pricks we can, but then we also have to let eveyone else be sarcastic pricks as well.
i think your attitude is all wrong.what's with this "we" and this "everyone else?"regardless of how much time you spend here or how well you know the mods or how many posts you have or how many friends you have, there is no "we" and "everyone else" on any internet forum. nor is it up to you to say that anybody should be letting anyone else do anything.that's the whole point. it's this attitude by people who've been around here a long time that their opinion or presence is worth more than others'.
if they are funny.And if they never contribute anything otherwise, we can ban them.Not sure why you disagreeIt's equality still.Contribute and then you can be a jerk, but a funny one.So far, they let me slide on the funny part. :club:
i think your attitude is all wrong.what's with this "we" and this "everyone else?"regardless of how much time you spend here or how well you know the mods or how many posts you have or how many friends you have, there is no "we" and "everyone else" on any internet forum. nor is it up to you to say that anybody should be letting anyone else do anything.that's the whole point. it's this attitude by people who've been around here a long time that their opinion or presence is worth more than others'.
lol ........ go back and read my posts. That was the point I was making.
if they are funny.
which is subjective (i used the right word, aren't you proud :club: )As you already know, this same debate hapens about every 4 or 5 months and nothign ever really changes. It's an internet forum and there really isn't much you can do to force people to be productive and contributing members. But in my opinion that's OK. I like it here and I am willing to accpet the good with the bad.
I feel like a target. :club: Seems clear to most posters on here that the ones obsessed with post count are those with less posts.I get respect because off the content of my posts.Not quanity.I really never understand this obsession with acting as if others fixate on post count.It's an imagined phenomenasome will tease you with that to push buttons.This is a community you work yourself into.If we reject you.that's life.We have that right.You can still stay and post; but trying to force yourself or change us is not going to work, for the most part.I like this place.
Who posted in: An Honest Question About Posters On This ForumPoster Posts Actuary 12 JMoney2681 8 sixhands 7 SBriand 6 kkcountry 6 custom36 6 missIdaho 6 Loismustdie 5 Not ripping on you or anything just thought it was pretty funny that you had the mosts post in this subject. Which I understand that most of them have a reason for being there but its just funny thats all.
No, no, no. This poker forum is like a high school. When it's your first day of freshman year you don't come running through the place acting like you matter, you snoop around, you say stuff when you really know it, and stay quiet otherwise. Soon you know where your classes are, you aren't scared of Seniors and you can function without being scared of getting beat up (flamed).After becoming comfortable you've probably made a few friends, or have at least met people that recognize you and don't hate you, then you can pal around with them. Soon, you will be known by everyone, and even if you don't know them they feel like they know you.In all honesty in this scheme, I feel like I'm half way through my sophomore year, I don't flame people, but I think my humor doesn't show through the internet all that effectively.So a popular senior can get away with saying something reprehensible, because his reputation has earned it, but a snot nosed freshman better shut up, get in line, and earn his stripes.Nowhere in life do people not get preferential treatment. This will probably go far to anger you. But I think you are one of the most well known posters on the forum. Do you think people wanted to talk to you because of your great posts or insight? Or because you had a nice body, had a pic of yourself in your avatar, and are in a completely male dominated forum? You receive preferential treatment right there! Now obviously things have changed, people wouldn't continue to talk to you if you were overall annoying, or added nothing, and newbs don't even know if you are hot or not, and I get along with you fine. I just think you are wrong here and that people in general have been overly nice to you because they think/thought you were hot.
Who posted in: An Honest Question About Posters On This ForumPoster Posts Actuary 12 JMoney2681 8 sixhands 7 SBriand 6 kkcountry 6 custom36 6 missIdaho 6 Loismustdie 5 Not ripping on you or anything just thought it was pretty funny that you had the mosts post in this subject. Which I understand that most of them have a reason for being there but its just funny thats all.
funny how?
funny how?
I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to ****in' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny? You said I'm funny. How the **** am I funny, what the **** is so funny about me? Tell me, tell me what's funny!
No, no, no. This poker forum is like a high school. When it's your first day of freshman year you don't come running through the place acting like you matter, you snoop around, you say stuff when you really know it, and stay quiet otherwise. Soon you know where your classes are, you aren't scared of Seniors and you can function without being scared of getting beat up (flamed).After becoming comfortable you've probably made a few friends, or have at least met people that recognize you and don't hate you, then you can pal around with them. Soon, you will be known by everyone, and even if you don't know them they feel like they know you.In all honesty in this scheme, I feel like I'm half way through my sophomore year, I don't flame people, but I think my humor doesn't show through the internet all that effectively.So a popular senior can get away with saying something reprehensible, because his reputation has earned it, but a snot nosed freshman better shut up, get in line, and earn his stripes.Nowhere in life do people not get preferential treatment. This will probably go far to anger you. But I think you are one of the most well known posters on the forum. Do you think people wanted to talk to you because of your great posts or insight? Or because you had a nice body, had a pic of yourself in your avatar, and are in a completely male dominated forum? You receive preferential treatment right there! Now obviously things have changed, people wouldn't continue to talk to you if you were overall annoying, or added nothing, and newbs don't even know if you are hot or not, and I get along with you fine. I just think you are wrong here and that people in general have been overly nice to you because they think/thought you were hot.
In general what you have posted here sums up what is wrong with the forum.

Honestly this has turned into one of the worst poker forums on the net. The mods are terrible and the standards are terrible. If I wasnt a Daniel Negreanu fan I would not come here at all to see what he has to say.Unfortunately this forum represents Daniel and makes him appear to accept this as his standard.The reason many good posters like Blair Rodman, or Jennifer Harmon dont return is because there is no reason for them to.Gunn

funny how?
Just made me laugh how you went on that speech about quantity of posts and when I was reading this topic it was like every other post it seemed and there you would pop up. Then when I got done reading it I checked the post count for the topic and you were on top. Made me laugh. It was also funny in another way that you had more posts in a topic within the past week then Jmoney, actually thats not funny that was pretty amazing.

maybe men have that "earn stripes mentality"or maybe it's not a gender thing.but flames are just safe hazing.it's not really hurtful.I'm with Tskillz

The reason many good posters like Blair Rodman, or Jennifer Harmon dont return is because there is no reason for them to.Gunn
nothing against those two, but good posters?Who knows.Maybe they could be.what makes a good poster?Did you think Smash was a good poster?He did a lot more for this forum than JH ever willBut yeah, I'd like more people and pros to to contribute.**************
It was also funny in another way that you had more posts in a topic within the past week then Jmoney, actually thats not funny that was pretty amazing.
it's more sad than funnyBut I thank you for sparing my feelings.Work is very boring but anxiety inducingOne day I"ll have other interests and not be able to post so much
maybe men have that "earn stripes mentality"
i'm starting to think sobut that's ok, you're still one of the posters i respect the most here. unlike me you actually have contributed a great deal with regards to poker discussions. although i don't agree with your position here, i do respect your point of view.
but that's ok, you're still one of the posters i respect the most here. .
And I know you contribute a lot to the social aspects here and that is terrifc as well.unfortunately for you, I am married.So flattery will not get you any further!