The Ridiculous Min-raise!

To me going from live to the internet I've seen this move more than anything. People just hit the raise button like it is limit poker and think they have just done something great. To me this is the stupidest move in poker and I only ever see it online...the only time I have seen it live is by 20-somethings that are sitting at a table for the first time.What is the opinion out there on the min-raise?

ive seen it used by someone who is drawing and it worked pretty well the around 5 times he did it. Someone would bet to him on the flop and he'd minraise, they'd call and check the turn because they thought he was strong. It got him a free card a few times so i guess its not always stupid

He mentions it quite a bit in both...I think it is one of the dumbest strategies ever. I can see how it would buy you a free card, but that is exactly what I think of when someone min raises...or if they have a medium PP and are scared of the board or something.

Mini Raises Deserve to get crushed Blinds 15/30 tonight I have 10 6 in BB UTG Mini raises All folds to me Flop 663 I bet He re raises all in? I call He shows AA Turn 4 River 4 Goodnight

I find it very annoying, yet i think you can gain so much by it. I know a couple players (especially on Bodog) that do it all the time and you know they hit their hand whenever they finally graduate to a meaured bet or raise. These players also resort the automatic button minimum preflop raise...classic.

How about when the pot is $450 & someone leads out with a bet of the bb, like $30.This is sooooo freakin annoying.
Call the bet and get over it. There is no such thing as an annoying bet.
How about when the pot is $450 & someone leads out with a bet of the bb, like $30.This is sooooo freakin annoying.
This makes me laugh everytime too. What is the point? I don't mind it. I will usually put in a raise regardless of what I have unless I've seen them do this with monster hands in the past.

Also, am I the only person that has noticed that people on Full Tilt feeler bet the pot just about every time...and then get raised and fold? What is going on there? Is it simply because they have a button to bet the pot?

Also, am I the only person that has noticed that people on Full Tilt feeler bet the pot just about every time...and then get raised and fold? What is going on there? Is it simply because they have a button to bet the pot?
yes no
I find it very annoying, yet i think you can gain so much by it. I know a couple players (especially on Bodog) that do it all the time and you know they hit their hand whenever they finally graduate to a meaured bet or raise. These players also resort the automatic button minimum preflop raise...classic.
I notice that a lot too playing on Bodog, but it usually indicates a LOT of strength. I've seen it a dozen times in the past two days with KK and AA. I'm fine with calling the bet with connectors, small PPs, suited cards and knowing that if I hit hard they wont fold. I think it's funny to suck out for their whole stack because they get cute and min reraise.

I find that on Full Tilt when people bet the pot after the flop it rarely means anything...it may mean middle pair, top pair, or a PP...but you can never really tell...its just funny how they do it so consistantly and then end up folding...they could accomplish the same thing with 1/3 to 1/2 the pot.

I would like to point out that some of the best big buy in tournament players make this move on a regular basis. DN makes this raise rather frequently, with raises between 2 and 2.5x the bb. Eric lingren is also a huge proponent of this strategy. Allan Goehring who plays a VERY limited schedule of tournaments (and is in the top ten in the cardplayer of the year race)STRICTLY makes min raises and he is one of the best chip accumulators in the game. It takes a willingness and ability to play post flop poker. Small ball. If thats your strength then theres nothing wrong with it. The philosophy is if your hand is THAT good then you dont want people to fold, and you can chop at small pots and or raise with weaker hands. If someone portrays your min bet as weakness and repops you then your in business when you have a monster. I dont think its a strategy that I would suggest for 1500 chip online structures, but I actually have used the technique in the past with success in deep stack slow moving structures like the 109 on UB. It does make you sick though when you min raise under the gun with KK and you get 4 callers. I would NOT suggest it to most players, and in all honesty i dont think im good enough to play this way. It may seem weak but in actuality if you know what your doing it is a VERY aggressive style.

To me going from live to the internet I've seen this move more than anything. People just hit the raise button like it is limit poker and think they have just done something great. To me this is the stupidest move in poker and I only ever see it online...the only time I have seen it live is by 20-somethings that are sitting at a table for the first time.What is the opinion out there on the min-raise?
I confess to using a couple min raises early to condition people to push me around. Then I hit a big hand, min-raise, they push and BAM they walk into a brick wall. A couple sacrificed BB bets usually gets me a buy-in within 45 minutes. You have to know when and how to use it though. And it's not a long-term strategy that's going to win at a table. It's a change up that ****s people up.
you haven't been playing online much, have you?http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...c=10747&hl=