Guest Guest

Donavan looked like a good player didn't he. Good to see Zambrotta back as well. I think Italy deserved to win, since they dominated play, but a good performance by the US. They were light-years ahead of the team that played against the Czechs.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant game.
Based on what?The ref completely destroying it?The US should have had 11 players the entire game, they dominated play when it was 11 vs 11, the way they were playing it would have been a easy win and they would have made up some points the goal differental. What a joke.I'm a FIFA certified ref, that guy who was out there today should have his cert taken away, it was a joke.
Donavan looked like a good player didn't he. Good to see Zambrotta back as well. I think Italy deserved to win, since they dominated play, but a good performance by the US. They were light-years ahead of the team that played against the Czechs.
Are you high right now? Italy did not dominate play. The US played fantastically. Had the officials not been retarded, the US would have most likely put another goal in.
Based on what?The ref completely destroying it?The US should have had 11 players the entire game, they dominated play when it was 11 vs 11, the way they were playing it would have been a easy win and they would have made up some points the goal differental. What a joke.I'm a FIFA certified ref, that guy who was out there today should have his cert taken away, it was a joke.
Judging by your terminology used, I doubt very much you are a ref.
I was the youngest certified ref in the world when I was 8 years old. I played for 16 years and had collegiate offers to play.You can question my terminology all you want, come over to my place and I will show you my paperwork.
No, he's right. The ref's completely destroyed the game. I'm also a certfied ref, not fifa, but that was very poorly officiated.Berckenbaur (sp) was saying that the refs this year are giving out way too many cards, and he's correct.

I'm not a certified ref, I'm just some dumb american who kinda likes soccer, and this game was a fuking joke. It's a shame to see a game bombshelled by the refs like that. Two reds? Are you freaking kidding me? At least the US is still alive. But I am angry about this game. Very angry.

Granted the standard of refereeing is poor, because FIFA insist on picking refs from countries like Madagascar and Outer Mongolia. But a lot of people are giving them undue stick because FIFA have introduces a lot of new directives for this World Cup that most people aren't aware of. E.g. the first american red card was pretty straightforward under the new directives.Another example would be the Ukrainian red card which in hindsight was a blatant foul, which FIFA are clamping down on now.Also, you should bear in mind that Iaquinta was nearly pulled off his feet in the box near the end, which was a clear penalty under anybody's interperatations of the rules. So it worked both ways.
Ugh USA basically done. I doubt we will beat Ghana and I doubt Italy with beat C.R.gg USA, at least they looked respectable today.
I reckon Italy will beat the Czechs. The Czechs look like a spent force to me.
Are you high right now? Italy did not dominate play. The US played fantastically. Had the officials not been retarded, the US would have most likely put another goal in.
Are you serious? The US was hanging on there at the end. There was only one team that was going to win it.

Untill the second red, the usa dominated play. Even after the second red, the US had more than their share of scoring ops, but then they just got tired. I think Arena was daft not to use his second substitution , but ce la vie. Did italy dominate the last 15 minutes? sure, okay. Congradulations. If the refs werent' daft, the US would have Dom'd the whole game.

Thoughts on the game:1. USA deserved then win. They outplayed Italy when 11 v 11 and outplayed italy 9 v 10. 2. I woudl be ashamed to be an italian fan. Thier play was awful and if the ref had balls they would have gotten several more cards for taking blatant dives. To be proud of a team like that is disgraceful3. Wtf was arena doign saving a sub. Reyna was spent, Mcbride was spent and he holds a sub. several players could have come into give the USA a lift (Obrien or Johnson) . I think it was a very questionable play on Arenas part4. SHIP BEASLEY HOME. He comes in late in the game and is walkin around. Are you kidding me? He is the fastest player on the field and he was freakign walkin around like he was in teh game the whole time. He doesnt deserve to be on this team and shouldnt be playing5. Where was this performance last game? They came out ready to play this time and showed they deserved to be here. 6. Ref should be sent home. He showed he didnt know how to ref in the least. Never once had control of the game and showed that he shouldnt be a ref at all. 7. The Pablo foul was a joke. Sure give the guy a yellow. But a straight red on a tackle that got ball? Give me a break. No other ref even considers a red in that situation. 8. The Pope red was another joke. It took the ref 80 minutes to realize the Italians were flopping when air hit them. Pope didnt deserve it.9. Finally Donovan showed why he is the best the USA has. 10. Keller was unbelieavable.

Are you serious? The US was hanging on there at the end. There was only one team that was going to win it.
The US dominated play. If that second red doesn't come, the US wins easy. And the US was not "just hanging on". THey played very well.
Did you watch the whole game?When it was 11 vs. 11, the US was dominating.When it was 11 vs. 10, the US was dominating.When it was 10 vs. 10, the US was still dominatingOnly the last 20 minutes when the US was down a man did the Italians really control play.
Playing 90 minutes at a high level is exhausting as it is but play down with 9 men on the field and you will have a heart attack. The USA ran out of gas sure but who wouldnt? You pick any other team put them in that situation and you will get the exact same result. AT the end they all dropped back to secure a tie at least. Thats just good strategy. You dont go for the win at that point. yOu look to counter and maybe get something but what you focus on is defending and the USA did a great job.

Matt, you said it perfectly. The refs sucked, but the US played well. Beasly really did not play well, save the near goal. He should have been taking the ball straight at players, push it by them, and burn them. Problem is, Ghana is very fast, and we may need him to keep up.

Italy deserved to lose. They were outplayed by the US easily. We should of had an 11-10 advantage, but instead 9-10 disadvantage? This is aggravating.

Did you watch the whole game?When it was 11 vs. 11, the US was dominating.When it was 11 vs. 10, the US was dominating.When it was 10 vs. 10, the US was still dominatingOnly the last 20 minutes when the US was down a man did the Italians really control play.
No, I had half an eye on my pc. Fair enough, that probably distorted my view of which team dominated.

THe US looked great on the field today, and if they don't go through and play well against Ghana, at least they can hang their heads high. I'm absolutely shocked that eddie johnson didn't come on late in the game. We needed his presence and I think he would've been able to knick a goal. Both teams were exhausted at teh end, and a fresh eddie johnson with his speed would've been hell for the italians. BA has made some very questionable decisions this WC and I think we are going to have to look at him under a finer microscope. The US needs to come out guns blazing against Ghana and go for a big win. If we can get through to the next round, that will be massiveoh yea, that was some of the worst officiating I have seen. The Eddie Pope second yellow is barely a foul in england, more less a second yellow. That other yellow in the second half against Italy(i think it was against zambrotta) was very weak also. Its sad that that game was marred by awful officiating

. I'm absolutely shocked that eddie johnson didn't come on late in the game.
Quite fuking true. I don't know how you just sit on one subsitution the whole game, when you're team is exhausted from playing nine handed. Absolutely wretched imo.Johnson for Reyna. Reyna looked like he was about to die the last ten minutes of the game.
Quite fuking true. I don't know how you just sit on one subsitution the whole game, when you're team is exhausted from playing nine handed. Absolutely wretched imo.Johnson for Reyna. Reyna looked like he was about to die the last ten minutes of the game.
Johnson for Reyna is exactly what I was thinking as the game was going on. Johnson would open up opportunities for McBride and Vice Versa. Donovan finally came to play. He has been sleep walking for the past 18 months since he came back to the MLS. In both of these games, Reyna has proven my frustrations with him, he just isn't everything he is built up to be when he plays for the US. O'Brien has always looked much Better IMO. reyna has never been the player that I have heard of people that I know that have supported the clubs he has played for at teh international level. BA needs to come out in an attacking formation and push the game with the Ghanans. We don't have an answer to mark out Essien, but I think we can compete with them at every other position

I watched the game and under the world cup umpiring guidelines all of those cards were red cards.1. Italy: FIFA have asked players to keep their elbows in when they jump, not swing them around2. USA: The defender should have come from the other side. In his tackle he had his right foot above his left showing his studs to the other player, he should have had his left foot above his right that way the front of his shoes would have been facing the attacker. He also could have held off the tackle or only used one foot, all would have been better options. Your play does not have to be intentional to get a red card, it just has to pose a serious risk to the other player, and that tackle did.3. USA: slide tackle from behind is a red card, it shows that the player intentionally made a tackle that was not directed at the ball, or if it was, it was too dangerous to be allowed in a game.This is the world cup guys; most of the stuff you see people getting away with in club games just is not going to fly here. How often do you see as many yellow cards given out for players diving or time wasting? This level is elite, and the players are held to a higher standard.On a side note Italy did not deserve to get points out of that game, the amount of skill they have compared to how they performed was very bad. But if the US want to win games they have to score goals, own goals are bad luck and they need to take their opportunities. This is my worry about the US side. They do not have any world class players to finish for them.

I watched the game and under the world cup umpiring guidelines all of those cards were red cards.1. Italy: FIFA have asked players to keep their elbows in when they jump, not swing them around2. USA: The defender should have come from the other side. In his tackle he had his right foot above his left showing his studs to the other player, he should have had his left foot above his right that way the front of his shoes would have been facing the attacker. He also could have held off the tackle or only used one foot, all would have been better options. Your play does not have to be intentional to get a red card, it just has to pose a serious risk to the other player, and that tackle did.3. USA: slide tackle from behind is a red card, it shows that the player intentionally made a tackle that was not directed at the ball, or if it was, it was too dangerous to be allowed in a game.This is the world cup guys; most of the stuff you see people getting away with in club games just is not going to fly here. How often do you see as many yellow cards given out for players diving or time wasting? This level is elite, and the players are held to a higher standard.On a side note Italy did not deserve to get points out of that game, the amount of skill they have compared to how they performed was very bad. But if the US want to win games they have to score goals, own goals are bad luck and they need to take their opportunities. This is my worry about the US side. They do not have any world class players to finish for them.
This is extremely ignorant w/ all respect. The beauty of soccer is in its judgement. It was REALLY poorly judged today. There is a whole bunch of interpretation in soccer officiating. Today the officiating was less than fair. Agree or disagree, I've watched every game this WC and that ref was far too loose. I will agree that the US cannot finish. Their forwards lack the skill, they can't compwte with the ret of the world, but that immediate red card sealed it. Arena said he actually thought about taking them off the pitch.
This is extremely ignorant w/ all respect. The beauty of soccer is in its judgement. It was REALLY poorly judged today. There is a whole bunch of interpretation in soccer officiating. Today the officiating was less than fair. Agree or disagree, I've watched every game this WC and that ref was far too loose. I will agree that the US cannot finish. Their forwards lack the skill, they can't compwte with the ret of the world, but that immediate red card sealed it. Arena said he actually thought about taking them off the pitch.
Its not ignorant. I know alot about football having lived in Chelsea for a good part of my life. I know having players sent off sucks and i would be really pissed off, but that does not change the fact that they were bad tackles that were silly and the first one was a danger.Arena was just reacting badly as most managers do when they feel they were hard done by, i can hardly imagine what Chelseas manager would have said had it happened to them. Taking the team off the field would be very sad. Sport is about fighting through the hard moments, not hiding from them.Dont make silly tackles you dont get sent off. I mean look at the guy from the Cezch Republic who got sent off for talking back
Dont make silly tackles you dont get sent off.
The point being, no one wants the refs to decide the outcome of a game. Where is the skill in that? One of my favorite things about soccer is that the refs usually only have a small part to play compared to other sports where they are in the middle of everything. The ref in this game made himself the central figure, that should never happen.Both those slide tackles made contact with the ball, they were both from the side, and not behind. You can argue that they may have been dangerous, but it's not a sport for pansies. I didn't see McBride crying after taking that elbow to the face, he got patched up and went back in.