No ref of any quality throws Pablo out of that game. Its that simple. No ref will generally give that second card to Pope. The ref was so card happy that he didnt think to remember that Pope had one. He flashed the card before he realized it. The Italy foul was a straight red and even people in Italy are callin for the benchin of De Rossi for what he did. If you saw the brasil game today you saw how a ref should ref. Cafu got an early card and made some hard fouls later in teh game but the ref was aware of Cafus early card and didnt pull a second when he possibly could have. This ref was in control and you saw a great game. The refs goal should be to be invisible and this ref put himself on the center stage. He shouldnt be refereeing when he obviously isnt experienced enough and was in no control of the game.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No ref of any quality throws Pablo out of that game. Its that simple. No ref will generally give that second card to Pope. The ref was so card happy that he didnt think to remember that Pope had one. He flashed the card before he realized it.
So you are saying because he is Pablo he should not be sent off? Thats a really good point. So what if he studs someone in the knee, or elbows someone in the face, i mean, HE IS PABLOA ref should give a card regardless of you already having one.
A ref should give a card regardless of you already having one.
Wrong.A ref should exercise good judgement at all times, this includes giving out cheesy yellow cards in a tournament where it can cost that player the ability to partisipate in a later game.Pope shouldn't have gotten his first yellow card, a good ref would have came up to him and gave him a warning. You warn a player first on a minor infraction, you don't change the complextion of an entire game because your card happy.
Guest Guest
Wrong.A ref should exercise good judgement at all times, this includes giving out cheesy yellow cards in a tournament where it can cost that player the ability to partisipate in a later game.Pope shouldn't have gotten his first yellow card, a good ref would have came up to him and gave him a warning. You warn a player first on a minor infraction, you don't change the complextion of an entire game because your card happy.
This from BBC sport:Moments later, Mastroeni was off too. His two-footed, reckless lunge on Pirlo was deserving of a red card and left referee Jorge Larrionda with little option.
Guest Guest
The refs have all been told by FIFA that 2 footed challenges are NOT to be tolerated. Not completely the refs fault.Mastroeni was stupid for making that type of a tackle in their own half of the field.I read through this thread and virtually no one has mentioned how stupid Mastroeni was.

We've played more than 16 games here, the referees have telegraphed the fact that they won't tolerate this, to the point of having FIFA directives to follow. If the teams haven't cottoned on to this by now, then they deserve every yellow and red card that has been issued.

The point being, no one wants the refs to decide the outcome of a game. Where is the skill in that? One of my favorite things about soccer is that the refs usually only have a small part to play compared to other sports where they are in the middle of everything.
Did you see any WC 2002 games that korea played in?
Both those slide tackles made contact with the ball, they were both from the side, and not behind.
Whats your point there?I have only ever seen legs broken by tackles from the side or from the front. I can't name one thats had a leg broken from a challenge from behind. As for Mastroeni getting the ball, well yes he did make contact with the ball. He also caught Pirlo very hard above the ankle.
Whats your point there?
My point being from behind is more or less a cheap shot which they were not. They were making plays on the ball, they made contact with the ball. If they came in and only hit the player, thats one thing, making contact with the ball and then the player is another.
Did you see any WC 2002 games that korea played in?
I dont remember watching any of thier group games, but I think I watched the game they got eliminated in. Kind of hard to remember. Why?
I was the youngest certified ref in the world when I was 8 years old. I played for 16 years and had collegiate offers to play.You can question my terminology all you want, come over to my place and I will show you my paperwork.
Jadaki, I'm going to assume that you're not in the US. And you are not a FIFA referee, but a referee of your nation's association.I'm a state referee with Virginia and the USSF, and am currently in my first season doing pro games. So, as much as I'm going to get flamed, even though I'm right:1. Italy deserved the red for the elbow; elbowing is a POE (point of emphasis) for FIFA and USSF for the past 1.5 years.2. Mastroeni committed a foul that can absolutely justify a red card. While the referee may have been able to get away with a yellow, Mastroeni was too late to have a chance at the ball, and his studs were just above the ankle on the Italian player. This does fall under the realm of a red-card definition "Serious Foul Play" and was properly sanctioned by the referee. The one thing the referee DIDN'T do that I would've like to have seen was to talk to Eddie Pope. He should have spoken harshly to Eddie after his first foul, and then could've give Pope his 1st yellow on the foul that was his second. Either way, stupid, stupid foul by Pope when already carrying one caution.In general, I think the refs are throwing too many cards...they need to ***** more instead of tossing players and throwing yellows, and exhibit more pre-foul control of the game. But, these guys are 35-40 year olds with FIFA badges, and I'm 23 and don't even have my National badge yet, so they win I guess.
Jadaki, I'm going to assume that you're not in the US. And you are not a FIFA referee, but a referee of your nation's association.I'm a state referee with Virginia and the USSF, and am currently in my first season doing pro games. So, as much as I'm going to get flamed, even though I'm right:1. Italy deserved the red for the elbow; elbowing is a POE (point of emphasis) for FIFA and USSF for the past 1.5 years.2. Mastroeni committed a foul that can absolutely justify a red card. While the referee may have been able to get away with a yellow, Mastroeni was too late to have a chance at the ball, and his studs were just above the ankle on the Italian player. This does fall under the realm of a red-card definition "Serious Foul Play" and was properly sanctioned by the referee. The one thing the referee DIDN'T do that I would've like to have seen was to talk to Eddie Pope. He should have spoken harshly to Eddie after his first foul, and then could've give Pope his 1st yellow on the foul that was his second. Either way, stupid, stupid foul by Pope when already carrying one caution.In general, I think the refs are throwing too many cards...they need to ***** more instead of tossing players and throwing yellows, and exhibit more pre-foul control of the game. But, these guys are 35-40 year olds with FIFA badges, and I'm 23 and don't even have my National badge yet, so they win I guess.
At last, a very well thought out and constructed response.