Stacked Review From Ign.com

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure when DN was up late debugging the code for the AI he slipped a couple REM statements that will allow him to fix these glitches.Otherwise he had been just repeating what was told to him by the people that wrote the program. Which is not his fault. I'm sure if he tested a game with the flaws this reviewer claims, he would not have endorsed it.But the general public wants to be sold, they demand the hype, and they will get what they deserve. Hey it works for Bill Gates, and I hear he is still crushing the $1,000,000.00/$2,000,000.00 table at his house.Wilford Brimley got me to try GrapeNuts and I'm still repairing my teeth at the dentist, but they refused my lawsuit twice.

My comments having never played the game...First of all, AIs in general train over time. I dont know details on the poki ai, but I would assume if you take one out of the box, play in a really bizarre fashion for a little bit, you could train it to behave oddly. Over a longer period of time, and agains someone who is actually trying to play poker, I would bet the thing behaves much more normally. The reviewer was obviously trying to find a hole in it. So what?Next, I felt the reviewer wasn't complaining about tight preflop play so much as he was complaining that the play wasn't appropriate to the stack depths. Deep stack poker is looser preflop. I give him MORE cred for knowing a bit about poker, not less. The average gamer wouldn't really have a clue about any of these concepts.As for the "bad" advice from DN during game play...ummm...I got nothing here. Wait. Maybe this goes back to abusing the AI out of the box rather than training it properly. I dont know. I'm reaching here.Finally, this is a bad start for sure, but it's one review very early in the product's life. Let's hope it's not as bad as it looks.
IGN doesn't know poker. They gave the WPT game a 7...If that crap was a 7, Stacked is a 70...As far as deep stack poker not playing more loosely. Unless it's different later in the game (which I doubt the reviewer played much beyond the beginning), you start out with 1000 and the blinds start at 10-20...that aint deep stack poker...and you can actually steal pots...EVERY single other poker game I've played, someone ALWAYS calls the bets..For sheer entertainment value, the game is pretty good. You get decent play and you actually have enough time to play poker instead of the WPT game where you basically have to go all in within 10-20 hands because the blinds are so high...And I never noticed the all-in bug....if the bots had less than 8-10x the bb, then yes, they would go all in...Only crappy players wait until they are blinded away too much. Don't judge it until you play it...

I picked stacked up today and I have played it for an hour so far. Here are 3 things that IGN said in their review that I found to be stupid:1. You cant tell how many chips each player has left because it only looks like there are a couple of chips in front of each player.No. Chip counts are in the top left of each player that is in the hand. 2. You have to keep pausing the game to find out stats like how many players are left, etc, otherwise you have to wait for the scroll bar. Wow. It takes about 5-10 seconds for the scroll bar to tell you the info. Its that taxing to wait 10 seconds?3. The bet bar is almost impossible to use, its very hard to choose how much to bet.I didnt find this hard at all. Maybe I have a different version. What I have noticed so far is that the AI doesnt do anything crazy, like in the WPT game, the AI will call off all their chips with 5 high at the river.Also, its not an all in fest, you have time to play poker and the play is much more real.I am still waiting to see the best of poki so I will continue to play and give my review later.

Having been a member of the gaming media for quite some time, I have come to the conclusion as have many others that IGN is NOT a reputable source when it comes to ratings. They have been accused of catering to high paying advertisers many times and I don't doubt it. Any CLOWN can review a game and that's what happens these days. (just read mine below) IGN is the foxnews of gaming. They decide.. then report... From what I know about the AI, it takes quite some time before it's catered to you. I spoke with the team at E3 last year and was told the first 10-15 times you play, the computer may not seem all that smart, but over time it will adapt. My preview and interview here, http://gamerdad.com/detail.cfm?itemID=2350How much time did the IGN crew put into the review? I would suggest 2 weeks of playing the game before reviewing its evolving AI.All that being said... I did take part in the beta and was a little disappointed in the way it was handled. We weren't used as bug finders or for possible suggestions.. We were used as internet MTT server loads. There was plenty of people saying some of the controls were off... or that it should be set up a little more like most poker rooms online. Regardless... I am picking up my copy this weekend.

This IGN guy is a doucheclown that obviously knows little about poker. If you look at the reviews we recieved from other sites the game did VERY well. Based on the way this guy described the play, I'd be willing to bet a HUGE sum that he didn't reach the end stages of the game. The game gets harder and harder as you go.. it's SUPPOSED to be easy in the beginning! Duh. He made a couple good points, but overall this guy just hates the world. Don't believe me? Checkout his blog and read his reviews of other things... he hates everything! I was surprised with the review, but it's no biggie. The other reviews so far have all been good.

Having been a member of the gaming media for quite some time, I have come to the conclusion as have many others that IGN is NOT a reputable source when it comes to ratings. They have been accused of catering to high paying advertisers many times and I don't doubt it. Any CLOWN can review a game and that's what happens these days. (just read mine below) IGN is the foxnews of gaming. They decide.. then report... From what I know about the AI, it takes quite some time before it's catered to you. I spoke with the team at E3 last year and was told the first 10-15 times you play, the computer may not seem all that smart, but over time it will adapt. My preview and interview here, http://gamerdad.com/detail.cfm?itemID=2350How much time did the IGN crew put into the review? I would suggest 2 weeks of playing the game before reviewing its evolving AI.All that being said... I did take part in the beta and was a little disappointed in the way it was handled. We weren't used as bug finders or for possible suggestions.. We were used as internet MTT server loads. There was plenty of people saying some of the controls were off... or that it should be set up a little more like most poker rooms online. Regardless... I am picking up my copy this weekend.
first off i know the guy who did that review. Yes he is hard on game. I agree with that. But he does play poker a lot so his review will be much better than the other reviews where the guys have only played holdem once in a blue moon. He tells me that the game is no good, it probably is no good. He said to me that there are features on there that are useless such as the information or help feature. (All in with 6-2) He did say the players get better as the tourney moves forwad but that the betting and the aggression are not there and it is overall a weak game. He said it slightly better than the other poker games out thee because the competition is a little tougher. Hey it's play money! What can you say though! I am not personally getting it because it is play money. But the point he made that i think was best is that it doesn't help to improve your game and that was his major problem.
This IGN guy is a doucheclown that obviously knows little about poker. If you look at the reviews we recieved from other sites the game did VERY well. Based on the way this guy described the play, I'd be willing to bet a HUGE sum that he didn't reach the end stages of the game. The game gets harder and harder as you go.. it's SUPPOSED to be easy in the beginning! Duh. He made a couple good points, but overall this guy just hates the world. Don't believe me? Checkout his blog and read his reviews of other things... he hates everything! I was surprised with the review, but it's no biggie. The other reviews so far have all been good.
I have to agree with you that the review was terrible. I bought World Championship Poker 2 last year which i thought was terrible but good enough to take with me on my PSP, and it got a 6.5 i believe. Meanwhile the online play was barely workable and i didnt like the AI. Bue the game got good reiews from other sites so w/e.
first off i know the guy who did that review. Yes he is hard on game. I agree with that. But he does play poker a lot so his review will be much better than the other reviews where the guys have only played holdem once in a blue moon. He tells me that the game is no good, it probably is no good. He said to me that there are features on there that are useless such as the information or help feature. (All in with 6-2) He did say the players get better as the tourney moves forwad but that the betting and the aggression are not there and it is overall a weak game. He said it slightly better than the other poker games out thee because the competition is a little tougher. Hey it's play money! What can you say though! I am not personally getting it because it is play money. But the point he made that i think was best is that it doesn't help to improve your game and that was his major problem.
Is the game perfect? no..but I can't take this guy seriously if he thinks that Stacked is "slightly" better than the WPT game, WSOP game, the Championship Poker series games, and others I may have missed..If you want a poker GAME that is fun to play when you're sick of losing money online, or if you can't get enough people together for a home game, this is it..I would rather play Stacked anyday than turn to play-money games on Fulltilt. Hell this game is more challenging than playing a $5 sitngo
Is the game perfect? no..but I can't take this guy seriously if he thinks that Stacked is "slightly" better than the WPT game, WSOP game, the Championship Poker series games, and others I may have missed..If you want a poker GAME that is fun to play when you're sick of losing money online, or if you can't get enough people together for a home game, this is it..I would rather play Stacked anyday than turn to play-money games on Fulltilt. Hell this game is more challenging than playing a $5 sitngo
but he gave it a lower score which makes no senseAlso, they arent going to come out and say it but they want kids to buy it who are too young to have real money accounts online and who play ps2 or xbox. Also for ps2 and xbox if a bunch of your friends get it you can play online with voice chat.

Well I have played 5 MTT's, 3 STT's, and some cash games and here is my biggest complaint...All computer characters are fold/call/all-in preflop. Not once have I seen a computer character raise 2-5xBB ever. That is weak and a serious flaw. I have seen computer players limp with AA, KK, QQ, AKs ten or more times in early position. It's really annoying me because it is impossible to get any read on what a player is holding when they fold/call/all in only. And the all-in bets by computer players, from what I remember...52o,53o, K4o, K7s. Maybe the players get better as you move up the ranks? Sure hope so. I am very disappointed right now.

This IGN guy is a doucheclown that obviously knows little about poker.
So Sheiky is doing game critic now?
Well I have played 5 MTT's, 3 STT's, and some cash games and here is my biggest complaint...All computer characters are fold/call/all-in preflop. Not once have I seen a computer character raise 2-5xBB ever. That is weak and a serious flaw. I have seen computer players limp with AA, KK, QQ, AKs ten or more times in early position. It's really annoying me because it is impossible to get any read on what a player is holding when they fold/call/all in only. And the all-in bets by computer players, from what I remember...52o,53o, K4o, K7s. Maybe the players get better as you move up the ranks? Sure hope so. I am very disappointed right now.
thats weird, i havent found that. the players are noticably tighter but they do raise sometimes.in addition, from what i have read, it takes a while for poki to get your style down. before i give my review i am going to play this game all the way through.
If you want a poker GAME that is fun to play when you're sick of losing money online, or if you can't get enough people together for a home game, this is it..
If you arent able to win at low stakes hold em online, you probably dont need advanced AI to challenge yourself.
The part he mentions about the stack size not accurately reflecting the amount would bug the hell out of me. Is that true that it "show 2 chips" in your possestion even if you have $1683?
the stack ammounts are clearly visable in the top left it tells how much each person has. it would be almost impossible to visually look at the stacks on the table and tell how much each person has without a super high resolution monitor/tv. they dont even do this online, so i dont understand why people are so up in arms about this. its such a minor issue. imo
the stack ammounts are clearly visable in the top left it tells how much each person has. it would be almost impossible to visually look at the stacks on the table and tell how much each person has without a super high resolution monitor/tv. they dont even do this online, so i dont understand why people are so up in arms about this. its such a minor issue. imo
The stack size issue is understandable, but what's not understandable is where Jerry is? I'm still trying to figure out what happened to the guy. Where in the world is Jerry? :huh:Be my friend. Click here:http://www.myspace.com/mushu_negreanu

Ok guys I bought Stacked because I had the extra money and I wanted to support DN and heres how I see it. This is a GREAT game if you are a beginner or even a slightly advanced poker player. The AI will really exploit your weaknesses and cause you to become better or lose. Like lets say you almost always check when the flop totally missed you, even if they have crap they will throw out a bet and watch you fold to their bluff. Also the advice Daniel gives you for the most part is really good. In one situation I was heads up and my opponent pushed all in and I had him covered but if he doubled up I would be in horrible position. I had pocket 2's and I was curious as to what DN had to say about it and he commented with something to the likes of "Your best at a coin-flip you shouldnt risk the tournament on it" He also tells you stuff like to mix up your game raising with suited connectors.Now there also comes with a set of movies of DN basically explaining the beginners guide to Limit and No Limit Holdem cash games, tournaments, strategy, position, etc. which can really help out a poker noobie to learn quickly how to start off playing.To me the best feature is the online capabilities where you can jump right into someones cash games or tournaments or you can even make your own. I like the fact that MTV holds these tournaments where you can win some bling bling rings for your characters to have in online and when you're playing at your own luxury of career mode. Also Daniel and all the other pros will be playing online as well and you have a chance of running into them.This brings me to probably the thing that bothered me the most about Stacked and that would be the character creatior. I was hoping for something along the lines of a creator like Tony Hawk but what you got is basically a certain ammount of guys and gals and for each person they only have one set of clothes and only 3 colors you can change them to. I hope that if there is an update to Stacked that they fix this because online you will see a lot of people that look exactly the same as you.Anyways in conclusion this is by far the best poker videogame out there and if you think you need to fill in some plugs in your game go ahead and buy it but if you're already a big winner of stakes at 2/4 and up then this game probably is not for you. Its not a game you're gonna wanna play 24/7 but it can be entertaining for a couple hours a day. I just wish I was new to poker so I could enjoy the game more. Here is my rating...As a poker videogame - 10 out of 10Compared to all genres - 7.5 out of 10This game gets my seal of approval. Oh and sorry for the long post... :club: