• Going broke
  2. 2. Money to be made (cash games):

• 500 - 1k
    • 1k - 2k
    • 2k - 4k
    • 4k - 6k
    • 6k - 8k
    • 8k+
  3. 3. Money to be made (tournies (sng/mtt))

• 500 - 1k
    • 1k - 2k
    • 2k - 4k
    • 4k - 6k
    • 8k+

Holy crap Zach, I didn't know you went broke. Sucks to hear such a strong player having these issues and it goes to show that no one is immune to it.What happened?
Yeah, I basically go broke every other day.It usually has nothing to do with poker.I have a severe gambling problem, I think.Every once in a while, I'll open up PP BJ for some $1 BJ to blow off some steam, and that tended to escalate into $50-$100 bets before I finally go broke. Yeah, that's happened a couple times when I've had a nice BR building. Since then, I haven't really had a real BR. Not only that, but I also Instacashed a few (5) deposits from Neteller, when I had no money in my bank, so I'm sorta in the red to them, like a lot.Combine with that, the fact I lost my job a few months ago. I'm still living at home, and still a student, so I don't have a ton of expenses, but I took a half-assed stab at playing to earn my income while I searched for a new job, and went on a bad run at 3/6 Live, combined with my massive losses in BJ and Roulette, pretty much completely broke me, the first time I've ever not had any money.I've been playing a lot live lately with various stakes from people, but I don't have a proper BR, I just borrow $100 to sit, and take my profit. Unfortunately, the BJ tables are on the way out, and I tend to lose most of my winnings there. Basically, I just suck at gambling. I'm working on it though. The problem is that when I win 50 or 60 bucks, it really doesn't mean much to me at this point, and I think my utility increases enough with the prospect of doubling or tripling it that I accept the gamble and play BJ or what have you.I also have a small deal online where I will start to rebuild my BR, so I can be back in full force.I've heard about your rebuilding, but I haven't had the time to read your blog at all, but I think I will, and then maybe pattern something off of that. I don't mind starting at .5/1 or whatever again if I have to. This time, I'm doing it right, and not blowing it all. I'd really like to get up to 5/10 or even 10/20 in like 5-6 months or so and then start taking a good portion of my profits to supplement my income. I do have a new job now, so I'm ok on that front.Anyways, there's my life story...lol, I may have gotten off track.- ZachPS - Jordan, I like your blog idea. I may post my rebuilding efforts in there, or start my own and link it.
  • Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- ZachPS - Jordan, I like your blog idea. I may post my rebuilding efforts in there, or start my own and link it.
hell, do both...if the blog i started catches on, more people will be reading that, and as a result read your blog..it won't really go the other way, most likely...gllll- Jordan

Well im currently trying to rebuild my roll after i spent it all on tuition. I just moved it over to a poker room skin and have been focusing on the HU and SH $10 tables. Im moving up as quickly as I can (every 10 buy ins for the new level), and moving down when im running bad. I would like to be playing $50NL by the end of the month, but well see if that happens.-Ira

Yeah, I basically go broke every other day.It usually has nothing to do with poker.I have a severe gambling problem, I think.Every once in a while, I'll open up PP BJ for some $1 BJ to blow off some steam, and that tended to escalate into $50-$100 bets before I finally go broke. Yeah, that's happened a couple times when I've had a nice BR building. Since then, I haven't really had a real BR. Not only that, but I also Instacashed a few (5) deposits from Neteller, when I had no money in my bank, so I'm sorta in the red to them, like a lot.Combine with that, the fact I lost my job a few months ago. I'm still living at home, and still a student, so I don't have a ton of expenses, but I took a half-assed stab at playing to earn my income while I searched for a new job, and went on a bad run at 3/6 Live, combined with my massive losses in BJ and Roulette, pretty much completely broke me, the first time I've ever not had any money.I've been playing a lot live lately with various stakes from people, but I don't have a proper BR, I just borrow $100 to sit, and take my profit. Unfortunately, the BJ tables are on the way out, and I tend to lose most of my winnings there. Basically, I just suck at gambling. I'm working on it though. The problem is that when I win 50 or 60 bucks, it really doesn't mean much to me at this point, and I think my utility increases enough with the prospect of doubling or tripling it that I accept the gamble and play BJ or what have you.I also have a small deal online where I will start to rebuild my BR, so I can be back in full force.I've heard about your rebuilding, but I haven't had the time to read your blog at all, but I think I will, and then maybe pattern something off of that. I don't mind starting at .5/1 or whatever again if I have to. This time, I'm doing it right, and not blowing it all. I'd really like to get up to 5/10 or even 10/20 in like 5-6 months or so and then start taking a good portion of my profits to supplement my income. I do have a new job now, so I'm ok on that front.Anyways, there's my life story...lol, I may have gotten off track.- ZachPS - Jordan, I like your blog idea. I may post my rebuilding efforts in there, or start my own and link it.
Well, you are on the right track it seems, you are admitting and acknowledging your faults. Not to sound like an AA meeting but that really is the first step.It sounds like we have similar issues... I repeatadly went broke because I was "too good," to grind out properly and was used to much higher stake games. I felt I was entitled to play in higher games and subsequently went broke numerous times after constantly building up a b/r from $50-$100 to the $400-$500 range and donking it off at a higher stake table ( I probably did this at least half a dozen times before I finally was honest with myself).That being said, I really don't care if anyone reads my blog or not, it's more for me and accountability than anything else, but one of the secondary reasons I created it is so that I could help someone who was having similar problems and *hopefully* outlining what proper B/R management is like as well as a profile of a winning player (again, I stress hopefully). Give it a read sometime, it may help you... I know you are a stronger player than I am it just sounds like you need to start managing your money correctly.
you think you can get $6K in just 25000 hands? i figured i'd need 40K hands to get there, then again my confidence is a bit shot.
250 sets of 100, at 2BB/100 with each BB valued at $6 is $3,000. Bonus, rakeback and ARP equals about 100% rakeback - and rake at 3/6 is roughly equal to 2BB/100.Im up a bit less than $5k over 15k hands in May, but running a bit well. 3BB/100 at stakes between 1/2 and 5/10, but mostly at 3/6. But that's pretty consistent with my last 60k hands or so.
Well, you are on the right track it seems, you are admitting and acknowledging your faults. Not to sound like an AA meeting but that really is the first step.It sounds like we have similar issues... I repeatadly went broke because I was "too good," to grind out properly and was used to much higher stake games. I felt I was entitled to play in higher games and subsequently went broke numerous times after constantly building up a b/r from $50-$100 to the $400-$500 range and donking it off at a higher stake table ( I probably did this at least half a dozen times before I finally was honest with myself).That being said, I really don't care if anyone reads my blog or not, it's more for me and accountability than anything else, but one of the secondary reasons I created it is so that I could help someone who was having similar problems and *hopefully* outlining what proper B/R management is like as well as a profile of a winning player (again, I stress hopefully). Give it a read sometime, it may help you... I know you are a stronger player than I am it just sounds like you need to start managing your money correctly.
good stuff...i try to read a few fcp blogs, but there are so many it's hard to stay "updated" with everyone...that was the point of starting the FCP blogger..figure a few of us stay in touch and then be able to actually read their real 'blogs'...but meh..we'll see..just was started hastily, on a whim...- Jordan

I've been really sick the last couple days, so I haven't felt like making a proper goal list, but generally I just want to make about as much money as I did last month (including the $14K MTT cash) just off of cash games and SnGs. Right now, I feel like I'm not quite "legitimate" as a professional poker player since so much of my winnings came from one lucky event. (I haven't even gotten around to tabulating my May results yet, but I was probably up about $4K without that tourney.)Really, I just want to earn somewhere in the $10K to $20K range this month, so that I feel like my roll's steadily growing and not just the result of one luckbox tourney.

250 sets of 100, at 2BB/100 with each BB valued at $6 is $3,000. Bonus, rakeback and ARP equals about 100% rakeback - and rake at 3/6 is roughly equal to 2BB/100.Im up a bit less than $5k over 15k hands in May, but running a bit well. 3BB/100 at stakes between 1/2 and 5/10, but mostly at 3/6. But that's pretty consistent with my last 60k hands or so.
wow, well i'm not near even 2bb/100 at Absolute. been running terrible, though not playing much at absolute yet.i'm barely in the black at absolute, so i'll definitely have to squire some strategy tips.

My friend is having the same problem. He's down a bit after several thousand hands. The only difference i can see is that he's a LOT tighter, and i can see how that would be crippling. For full ring (7-9 players), im 22/14/3 approximately. On party, i was 18/11/2.8.What're your figures?

My friend is having the same problem. He's down a bit after several thousand hands. The only difference i can see is that he's a LOT tighter, and i can see how that would be crippling. For full ring (7-9 players), im 22/14/3 approximately. On party, i was 18/11/2.8.What're your figures?
at absolute, i'm around 19/11/2.5, though i've been playing 10-handed at very tight b2b tables, and only around 16/11/2 through a terrible run.i think i'm most comfortable at like 19/12/3, but i just need help with my post-flop play after raising preflop and missing the flop. lots of help. arg

Well, my first few sessions this month have started nice. Finally.I think not playing much in May, and running bad + playing bad + bad beats made me question some things. This short good run, plus adjusted play, has been nice.Hope you all are having a good start as well.- Jordan

What's your name on there?Ill watch and let you know if i notice anything.
i think i'm going to keep my name there quiet for a few reasons, namely i've started a second account on most sites under that name, and don't want to raise any suspicion. i'm not playing the accounts together of course, but they're still multiple accounts.had a better day at pokerroom, thanks in large part to taking your advice and lagging it up a bit. lost the PT stats, but i think i was closer to 18/12/4. still don't know what to do at aggressive tables with 22-44 in the first 2-3 spots though :club: cheerio

My goal is to stop making frustration calls when someone calls pot-sized bets on the flop and turn, when it's obvious they've hit their one-outer on the river. If I plug that leak, I can double up every time I play.

June is not going well. I've been sick for like two weeks now. I just can't sit down and concentrate while playing. It's killing my earnings, but hopefully I'll be fresh to it all when I can start really playing again. I guess everyone needs a break every so often.

Started back at 1/2 with some help, been playing for 2 days now, started with some full ring, but last night went to two shorthanded tables, and basically owned them.Example, I hold 8 :club: 9 :D, flop T :D J :D Q :), it's bet and raised before it even gets to me. We cap the flop 3 ways, the turn 3 ways, and I get 2 bets from one guy on the river after the 4th diamond falls.1 minute later, on my other table, I have QQ, raise PF, get a call, flop top set on an incredibly dry board, and cap the flop, turn the quads, cap the turn heads up, river is a K, we cap the river, and he shows K2o for the rivered top pair. Nice.With the way those are going, I think I'll stick with the SH tables for now, I'm up 75 BB over about 2k hands since Sunday.Looking forward to a nice rebuilding of the bankroll.My goal for June is to make 600 BB's at 1/2.- Zach

I'd like to get my bankroll to 1000 playing exclusively O8 Cash and SNGs as well as NLHE SNGs and MTTs.I think this is realistic if I can put in a decent amount of hands.Higher if I can quit getting cold decked in MTTs, I feel like I am due for a big cash, and am playing well, but the cards keep spitting in my face when it matters most.Class is out for the summer so I have a lot more time on my hands.I would like to seriously improve my O8 game, its profitable now, but I think I have room for improvement still.I will play 10-20 of the 6.60 Tier 1 SNGs on FullTilt and use the tokens for some Tier 2's and some MTTs.My biggest goal is to stay within my bankroll (ugh). Thanks for posting this Jordan

well that blog hasn't seemed to catch on. Zach is posting there, so check it out if you please.as for me, as of this session (friday night donks), I'm up $3,140.54 (stuck $218 in tournies for June).I was kinda surprised...I feel like i've been running horribly, but meh, I'll take that for now.hope you all are on your way.- Jordan