Dn Over $1 Mill In Big Game

If he can play at those stakes, how large is DN's poker bankroll? I'm not talking about his net worth, I'm talking the money he has set aside for POKER.OK, gang, let's see what folks think. I say he has $5 million set aside for poker alone. Too high? Too low?In that vein, I wonder just how large of a percentage a big time pro like DN would sit with in front of him in a single session to play with. 50%? 25% 10%? I can't think these guys would sit with the majority of their money that could be lost on one horrendous beat.I'm curious to see what others think.

The true gambler would risk it all if they have an edge...
SOOOO... Daniel, are you a true gambler? :club: Daniel, while I agree that it takes a massive amount of confidence (which you no doubt have in spades!) to play at those levels, would you seriously play with your entire bankroll, for example, in a High Stakes Poker match if the other players were willing to sit with enough money to interest you?I could see you doing that in LHE or LOH, etc, but in NLHE, I would think sitting in a game where you could easily get all your money in as a huge fav only to lose to some wicked 1 outer to be something that a savvy gambler like yourself would look at and say, "There is no reason to do this... I can control things better by spreading my edge out over sessions where I sit with less."I realize that you often write that the Big Game has capped pot sizes and I can see why... It is good business.But I can't help but wonder how large of a percentage of total bankroll the typical big time poker pro is willing to sit with in any one session.

Often the players in the big game have close to all of their liquid assets at the table. That is also quite often LESS than one millon dollars. It's common for several of the players to be in that game with a bankroll of say, $600,000. If they lose that, they'd just borrow...

I´ve sat down with everything befor, but it was many years ago and I won´t do it again.DN won´t have to worry about feeding the kids as there will be royalties for varios projects that could keep the home afoat.

Often the players in the big game have close to all of their liquid assets at the table. That is also quite often LESS than one millon dollars. It's common for several of the players to be in that game with a bankroll of say, $600,000. If they lose that, they'd just borrow...
Thank you for your candor and insight.PS We noticed only ONE player had the CAJONES to sit at HSP with a coooool $1m. ;-)

DN,2 things:1. Thank you for sharing as openly as you feel appropriate about the Belllagio game and buy-ins. Without discussing names, what percentage of the big name pros would you say are in the borrowing stages on a consistent basis? (Seems like I've heard of a number of them that are always staked for the WSOP and WPT trnmnts). If that's not something you want to talk about...cool...just thought it would give some of us an idea of what the 'real' world of poker is about.2. Drove over and played at Gold Strike in Tunica this week and sat next to a lady who does massages at all the big trnmnts there. She said she knows you and that she just talked to you on the phone in the last month or so. Not sure her name but she's been doing it for about 7 years. Really nice lady. Very professional. Even with tough beats. (I flopped trip 10s...she hit trip 9s on turn...and took her money....and she handled it well)...Limit game..so not much money involved. And then she won the drawing for 400 bucks or so so she got it back. She was very classy and talked very highly of you. She has a lot of respect for you.A.D.D. kickin' in and I've got to go write charts for a big band record.Thanks for the info on the gambling life.E

The true gambler would risk it all if they have an edge...
I guess all the stuff about bankroll management does not apply at the highest levels because there is always someone willing to stake you? Man, and here I am grinding it out with my several thousand dollar bankroll.

Keep in mind that all the top pros want respect...if you're afraid to play in the big game the other pros would drop you down a notchNot to speak for him, but DN being a big name in poker affords him more leeway in his bankroll since if he goes bust he could just play big tourneys for a while collecting endosements, column pay, book advances, video game royalties, and so forth.

DN? how much of an edge do you figure you need to sit down with all of your bankroll? Because I'm thinking say a 3% edge will definetely be overcome by variance at some point and most players will go broke ( for example if hypothetically they sat with everything they had consistantly 15 times in a row at least one time they would take a hit and lose it all) Just curious, as I have been getting nailed by the down swing lately and am toying with moving down in stakes to build my bankroll up or to put it all up at once.

Never. The day I lose my gamble is the day I quit poker...
On that note, I wonder, Daniel, if you had 'the talk' with Lori before you got married. Obviously at this point the likelihood is tiny, but endorsements and projects won't last forever, and you're practically in Hollywood now and you know what they say, "Hot today, cold tomorrow". Do you ever think about the minute possibility that you could one day be on the felt? Did you ever talk to your wife about that issue? I mean no offense but any gambler knows that it is always a possibility. I just wonder with as far as youv'e come if its ever a consideration.
On that note, I wonder, Daniel, if you had 'the talk' with Lori before you got married. Obviously at this point the likelihood is tiny, but endorsements and projects won't last forever, and you're practically in Hollywood now and you know what they say, "Hot today, cold tomorrow". Do you ever think about the minute possibility that you could one day be on the felt? Did you ever talk to your wife about that issue? I mean no offense but any gambler knows that it is always a possibility. I just wonder with as far as youv'e come if its ever a consideration.
Not really. I play too good to stay broke even if it happened...
wow....this is completely different than I and, I would imagine, most people expected. I believe DN, but I find it very hard to imagine that the regular (Chip, Greenstein, Brunson, Ivey) put up all their liquid assets in the game. what happens when you go on a downswing and have back-to-back-to-back losing sessions? who are these people who are happy to backroll these players for 500k at a time? DN, can you clarify, is it these regulars that do this, or the guy trying to make it up to that level that do this? I would imagine, someone putting their entire roll on the line, in order to double it and play there regularly....but I find it hard to believe that 4 of the 6 players actually put their back accounts on the line, on a nightly basis. cheers

I believe "liquid assets" is the key part of that phrase. He didn't say they put all of their bankroll in play. He said they might have all of their liquid assets on the table at one time. They could always cash out some cd's, sell some stocks, etc etc.

I believe "liquid assets" is the key part of that phrase. He didn't say they put all of their bankroll in play. He said they might have all of their liquid assets on the table at one time. They could always cash out some cd's, sell some stocks, etc etc.
Nail, meet hammer.If you think about it, if you have a million or more bucks it would be foolish NOT to have it in a money market account, CD, etc. instead of sitting in a safe deposit box in LV.
Nail, meet head.If you think about it, if you have a million or more bucks it would be foolish NOT to have it in a money market account, CD, etc. instead of sitting in a safe deposit box in LV.
Ah yes, M1 not M2 or M3