Okay, this has probably been posted before but i missed it before if it happened. I was listening to an episode of the circuit on cardplayer.com and mike matusow was on there and said that while phil ivey is the best poker player in the world, he is also the luckiest. None of his TV tables show this at all and i was wondering where mike is coming up with this conclusion. Any thoughts?

Okay, this has probably been posted before but i missed it before if it happened. I was listening to an episode of the circuit on cardplayer.com and mike matusow was on there and said that while phil ivey is the best poker player in the world, he is also the luckiest. None of his TV tables show this at all and i was wondering where mike is coming up with this conclusion. Any thoughts?
I remember watching Prahlad and Ivey dual it out over the course of about a week (where they'd play eachother 4+ hours per day). Personally, I saw Ivey suck out on Prahlad 4 times for upwards of $80k.
I remember watching Prahlad and Ivey dual it out over the course of about a week (where they'd play eachother 4+ hours per day). Personally, I saw Ivey suck out on Prahlad 4 times for upwards of $80k.
Really? but heads up is a completely different game, i have no doubt he sucked out but everyone "sucks out" in heads up. every time he is at a final table he loses every race, cant win with AQ to save his life, and takes some beats so it seems to me like he is more unlucky than lucky.
I imagine that Mike's conclusion was based on what he has experienced playing Ivey and not what he has seen on TV.
I think it always SEEMS like the best players are also the luckiest.Helps us cope with being worse than them.
I think the above is an accurate assessment. I'm sure Ivey is lucky, but so is Tiger Woods. I don't think that really explains the beatings he regularly administers to opponents.

Some guy with the last name Brunson once said, "Show me the luckiest guy in the cardroom, and i will show you the best player." The best definition of "luck" that i have heard is..."Luck is when preparation meets opportunity." Don't let something you hear from The Mouth discredit someone who plays in the Big Game as a regular.

MasterLJ you personally saw Ivey suck out 4 times in a week? And this is a lot to you?To the OP... not sure what kind of statistical data you're looking for. It's Mike's opinion and an exaggerated one at that. PXF's PUFF/PAFF/RUFF algorithms notwithstanding, calculating who's luckier than whom is pretty difficult territory.

MasterLJ you personally saw Ivey suck out 4 times in a week? And this is a lot to you?To the OP... not sure what kind of statistical data you're looking for. It's Mike's opinion and an exaggerated one at that. PXF's PUFF/PAFF/RUFF algorithms notwithstanding, calculating who's luckier than whom is pretty difficult territory.
matusow is probably pulling his leg and to him one break is a luckiest human alive. I think ted forrest has the best combo of luck and skill.

Yeah, i dont see where mike could have played a lot with phil. Phil plays basically just big cash games that mike cant afford to play. I guess they could play on fulltilt but i never see phil on there.

Phil Ivey can play his A game for like 48 hours straight no matter how bad the beat. That is why he is the greatest player. ooo yea and he can smell weakness like a basset hound.

i can't believe i'm reading this thread... mike matusow is an idiot and a donkey, and you guys are idiots and donkeys for believing some of the things he says

It was one session dude. Yeah, it was a lot. Sick 2 outers and the like.

"I'm a great believer in luck, and i find the harder I work, the more of I have of it." Thomas JeffersonLuck is what you make of it. We all get lucky and unlucky playing poker, "that's poker".

mike is a nice guy i guess, but a big time degenerate you cant really believe anything he says Everyone knows THAT guy and he is one of THOSE guys. and its obvious hes jealous

i can't believe i'm reading this thread... mike matusow is an idiot and a donkey, and you guys are idiots and donkeys for believing some of the things he says
Mike is underestimated.... he plays brilliantly when he plays his A game.... I happen to like Matusow...he talks a lot of stuff and gets under people's skin... he has made it a lot further then you ever will..... :club:
Mike is underestimated.... he plays brilliantly when he plays his A game.... I happen to like Matusow...he talks a lot of stuff and gets under people's skin... he has made it a lot further then you ever will..... :club:
undoubtedly he is much better than me, and when he is on (later days of 2005 wsop, the toc), he's pretty ****ing solid. however, he walks around talking about how he's one of the best 10 nl players in the world and this and that, and that's simply not true. besides, what kind of idiot would deign to call phil ivey lucky? you've got to have some serious delusions...
I think it always SEEMS like the best players are also the luckiest.Helps us cope with being worse than them.
Exactly. Doyle talks about this in SuperSystem. He says that since he's always raising with draws, once in awhile he gets called and wins, so people call him lucky. But the fact is that his continued aggression built his stack to the point where he could afford to gamble on a draw.