LOL, hey man, I'm not supporting the cause or anything but that's the mentalitly I would have if I was still smokin'.That was one of my main reasons. I need to be able to remember, something as simple as that, wasn't possible on the herbnotics. I've been keeping my distance from most of the people I exclusivly used to smoke with. Thanks for the advice, I'm applying everything people have been advising.Yeah you can't light up at the WSOP but you can light up in your hotel bathroom, parking lot, and car right before the tourney. That's why I've decided to stop I'm definitly an abuser.Another reason I'm quiting. I told my GF about 3 months ago that I quit smoking cigarettes and she never even knew I had a marijuana problem. I'm a pretty good bluffer. Anyway I've accomplished many things while being high, I don't think it impairs you to the point where you can't lead a normal life. My problem with the drug is that it impairs me to be the greatest. That is my goal in life. To be great at everything I want to accomplish, smoking herb won't get me there.
Herb and over achievement rarely go together. Thing about pot is, that it is so insiduous. It's not like herion or crack or something that obviously and blantantly ****s up your life. Pot is more like, fives years in, you haven't been off yoru couch in three days, you forgot to pay your electricy bill, so now you have to pay a deposit, which you would go to a pay station and do if you could find yoru car keys. Pot just sort of creeps up on you, slowly erroding your mental skills. Not in a terrible, unliveable way, but in a way that you can't get your mind firing on all cylenders..
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get me wrong, I love weed. I LOVE IT! But not as much as I love *****. The end.to the OP....Right on, Man, right on. There's alot of marijuana addicts in serious denial in the world, and in this forum. First off, they don't think it's an addiction, when it clearly is. People become throughly dependant on it to make it through the day, to handle their ****, and their lives, and totally support each other's addiction and denial of addiction.I can't speak for everyone, but I'm a fcking fish when I'm stoned. I call too much, don't raise often enough, and when I do raise it's too much at terrible times. However, The number one thing you need in poker is short term memory. You need to remember how people bet, what their checks mean, what is weakness, what is stregth, ect. Alot of people claim that they can get "zoned in" when they are stoned, lock in to the game, or what ever. But the effect weed has on your short term memory are profound and well documented.I'm totally happy for you that you're ready to confront the truth about what habitual marijuana use does to your brain, your life and your poker game. Stay strong brother. Don't beat yourself up if you relapse, thinking "oh well, since I fell off the wagon, I might as well go back to smoking" The fact is you proably will relapse. You just need to keep reminding yourself the benifits of being sober, and the negatives of being perma stoned. Trust me, a poker player with a clear, sharp mind is a dangerous thing
Wow, coming from a true veteran of FCP, I truly value your opinion. I've heard every exuse in the book to keep smoking, I've used every exuse. I'm tired of making exuses. It's time to change and everyones opinion on here actually matters to me. Thanks for taking the time to tell me what you think. I truly appreciate it.Thank you. "Trust me, a poker player with a clear, sharp mind is a dangerous thing" I won't forget it.
Herb and over achievement rarely go together. Thing about pot is, that it is so insiduous. It's not like herion or crack or something that obviously and blantantly ****s up your life. Pot is more like, fives years in, you haven't been off yoru couch in three days, you forgot to pay your electricy bill, so now you have to pay a deposit, which you would go to a pay station and do if you could find yoru car keys. Pot just sort of creeps up on you, slowly erroding your mental skills. Not in a terrible, unliveable way, but in a way that you can't get your mind firing on all cylenders..
No I totally understand. I mean I've been smoking for a few years now and it's slowly getting to me you know? It's been about 3 so it's almost been a half a decade I've been smoking when the normal life expectancy of a male is less than 8 decades that tells me something.You nailed the head on the hammer about the bills and lazyness. I find myself paying my bills day of because I don't pay attention to it. The marijuana attacks your canniboid receptors in your mind and prevents you from using a very important thing called "memory". I can't remember who checked ten hands ago because I'm blazed off my ***. That's ridiculous if you ask me. I don't want my brain to run like a 4 banger I want it to run like a V16 you know?
On the other hand, the Krab Dance was invented when everyone was stoned...
LOL, I remember when my buddy who turned me onto this site told me I had to read this story about the K3. I'm like okay whatever, I read it and I've never left this site.Hey for some people stoning is chill and a way of life.It's just not my way of life anymore. I'm not saying it's a terrible drug, it's just a drug, that's the point.Everything in moderation. You drink to much, you puke. You bone to much, you get an std. You smoke to much, you become unmotivated and dumb. Simple as that. All those things in moderation though are pleasureful.So, yeah, pinch pinch.

All my friends have gotten into the habit of smoking cigars frequently and i was along with them for a while...Although this year i said i would never have more than one cigar in a month. I went 3 months without one, then about one a month from december to march. Nothing then until end-of-the-year school celebration, where i had two in a week.The plan is to only smoke cigars for *special occasions*, a la graduation, marraiges, lotto wins, etc.Hopefully it goes well. Next up, just regular "bad" habits: nail biting. Namely picking at my toenails, as i get ingrowns like once a year and its so damn simple to prevent if i could just keep my fingers away!

I started smoking weed this year. At first, I clearly abused it and smoked about once or twice a day, and when I did, I usually got really really baked. There was about a 2 month stretch where that was all that happened.Near the end I noticed the effects it had, like not knowing what day it was anymore, and not remembering anything that had happened. I also noticed that I wasn't near as quick-witted or sharp as I was used to, and my interest in things declined severely. Since that time I've declined in my use of marijuana and I feel like myself again. Basically everything came back, I can remember what happened yesterday, and I have a concept of what time/day it is. Marijuana also helped me to stop smoking cigarettes completely, which has been huge. My point is that I think that if you can balance marijuana use it can be therapeutic and a good way to chill out with a group of friends. Walking the line of balance and abuse is tough for many though, and I would completely support someone if they didn't think they could. Good luck with quitting.PS-I'm a complete fish when I'm high. I played online and fired up my usual 4 2/4 shorthanded tables and couldn't keep up at all. I noticed one table where I got to the river in a five way pot with a set of tens (pretty sure I had the 2nd or 3rd nuts) and somehow checked it down. After that, I closed all my tables vowing never to play while high again.

All my friends have gotten into the habit of smoking cigars frequently and i was along with them for a while...Although this year i said i would never have more than one cigar in a month. I went 3 months without one, then about one a month from december to march. Nothing then until end-of-the-year school celebration, where i had two in a week.The plan is to only smoke cigars for *special occasions*, a la graduation, marraiges, lotto wins, etc.Hopefully it goes well. Next up, just regular "bad" habits: nail biting. Namely picking at my toenails, as i get ingrowns like once a year and its so damn simple to prevent if i could just keep my fingers away!
I wish that would work for me the occasional smoke but it won't work. I've overused the drug and if I use it again it's most likely going to become habit right away.Dude, ingrown toe nails are worse than getting your pubes stuck in your zipper! I have an easy solution though, just cut off your fingers.

he bwaves did you get a headache when you quit. I haven't smoked in like 48 hours and I have a migrane that is killing me.I am cutting down, we are going to try the step plan.

I started smoking weed this year. At first, I clearly abused it and smoked about once or twice a day, and when I did, I usually got really really baked. There was about a 2 month stretch where that was all that happened.Near the end I noticed the effects it had, like not knowing what day it was anymore, and not remembering anything that had happened. I also noticed that I wasn't near as quick-witted or sharp as I was used to, and my interest in things declined severely. Since that time I've declined in my use of marijuana and I feel like myself again. Basically everything came back, I can remember what happened yesterday, and I have a concept of what time/day it is. Marijuana also helped me to stop smoking cigarettes completely, which has been huge. My point is that I think that if you can balance marijuana use it can be therapeutic and a good way to chill out with a group of friends. Walking the line of balance and abuse is tough for many though, and I would completely support someone if they didn't think they could. Good luck with quitting.PS-I'm a complete fish when I'm high. I played online and fired up my usual 4 2/4 shorthanded tables and couldn't keep up at all. I noticed one table where I got to the river in a five way pot with a set of tens (pretty sure I had the 2nd or 3rd nuts) and somehow checked it down. After that, I closed all my tables vowing never to play while high again.
That's basically my story just for a few years instead of one. When I wake up it's like the same day. I'll ask someone what they did last night and that someone will reply, "don't you remember I told you yesterday my grandma died and I was at her funeral." Dude that's the lame part about smoking. Like I said in my last post It's all about moderation but it's to late for me with weed I won't be able to handle it most likely.I'm fairly sure we can all say playing high is fun, entertaining, and -EV.
he bwaves did you get a headache when you quit. I haven't smoked in like 48 hours and I have a migrane that is killing me.I am cutting down, we are going to try the step plan.
not uncommon at all..Hey, if you guys are readers, I recomend the book "infinite jest" by David Foster Wallace It's a fiction book about.. well, lots of things.. it's a hilarious book. But drug and specifically marijuana addiction are major themes of this boo. It's my favorite book of all time, absolutely. Now, don't get the impression that all this book is about is pot or a pot smokers story, cause it's not. The book is 1000 pages of brillance, so it's packed full of goodness. But you have to be a "reader" if you're going to get through the book, because it's very long, with lots of plot lines and characters and **** to think and laugh about.
Yeah man, I just took a few tylenol. It's pretty crazy not smoking huh? I'm like freakin' amazed I havn't felt super bad withdrawls. I think it's because I started eating a little better in the transition. I was a carls j.r. kind of guy now I'm a steak and salad kind of guy.Dude I'll be on here if you need some bordom relief of help quitting. This can be "our" thread in a very non homo-sexual way.
not uncommon at all..Hey, if you guys are readers, I recomend the book "infinite jest" by David Foster Wallace It's a fiction book about.. well, lots of things.. it's a hilarious book. But drug and specifically marijuana addiction are major themes of this boo. It's my favorite book of all time, absolutely. Now, don't get the impression that all this book is about is pot or a pot smokers story, cause it's not. The book is 1000 pages of brillance, so it's packed full of goodness. But you have to be a "reader" if you're going to get through the book, because it's very long, with lots of plot lines and characters and **** to think and laugh about.
I'm going to have to pick it up.Are you going to get HOH3?
No thread will ever be our thread.How 'bout you, sideburns, you want some of this thread?I'd rather have a beer.
Wonderful Billy Madison quote. It was directed at No Neck but sure.SEE my brain is already working better.A few days ago I would have asked you what funny movie that's from.
well, duh. HoH1-2 are the best poker books of all time, IMO, i can't wait for 3
It's almost out; Dear Amazon.com Customer,As someone who has purchased books by Dan Harrington, you might like to know that Harrington on Hold 'em: Expert Strategies for No Limit Tournaments, Vol. III--The Workbook will be released in paperback soon. You can pre-order your copy at a savings of 22% by following the link below. May 30, 2006 :club:
:club: Bwaves...I thought of you today while I was at work and wondered how you were doing. It sounds like you are doing great. Keep it up.llou
Hell yeah I'm going to. I'll seriously keep you guys posted, I won't let you down. I'll let you know how not smoking is helping my game and life and all that.On a side note: I'm changing avatars as we speak.Should I post up some good avatars and get some opinions?
I'll play along... give you my opinion. I kind'a like the naked Homer, though.llou
Right on, the stewie from family guy thrusting gif was to big to post so a sexy homer will do.

Day 5:I'm starting to feel the withdrawals a little more today. I'm feeling better but I'm very on edge. I'm doing okay though. I can actually sit outside with my brother while he smokes and not die.Poker is doing fine. I'm re-reading Theory of Poker because I realized that I read the book without a clear head and I honestly don't remember a damn thing!So I'm still doing fine I think we can erase this after a few more days. We'll say seven.

good thread. when im at college i smoke almost everyday, but today im heading home for the summer where i probly wont smoke at all. so well see how that goes.
and when he returns sober he will start to use apostrophes :club:
Keep it up man! And the new avatar is sweet.
I'm trying.. Stress was a big part of smoking and what's more stressful than a sh!tty job you have to go to everyday.Homer is the best, look at him, so content.
good thread. when im at college i smoke almost everyday, but today im heading home for the summer where i probly wont smoke at all. so well see how that goes.
It's not that hard after you make the decision, it just sucks going through the downswing of depression and what not.
and when he returns sober he will start to use apostrophes :club:
LOL, I love it.
i was sober when i wrote that, i just dont have time for grammer and all that stuff
If Fleung22 can make the time you can bro. (sw)