Right here goes......I'm working my way through Harrington 1....I played a few freerolls last night just to try a few of the lessons out (I'm still on the early sections). And I failed miserably!! How the heck do you play people who've got no idea about pot odds, and are quite willing to go all-in with no idea that they've only got a 17% chance of hitting a straight only to hit it! I know in the long run these things even out ........but I'm frustrated that I'm learning this stuff and it's really at this point having no positive effect on my game. I have qualified on PP for WSOP freeroll qualifiers twice now, so I know my game is pretty good. Am I better of just playing it really tight in these freerolls? I wanted to try and vary my game style, and it seemed to have no discernible benefit . Your opinions readily accepted. Sorry for the waffle.

when you are playing hyper-aggressive players, or idiots, play tight. You cannot play them like you would someone with any discernable idea of knowing how to play, because you'll lose to them.

when you are playing hyper-aggressive players, or idiots, play tight. You cannot play them like you would someone with any discernable idea of knowing how to play, because you'll lose to them.
Thank you that's what I wanted confirming

Stop playing freerolls if you're just trying to learn. Even $1+$0.10 MTTs are going to be better. Harrington's advice just isn't geared toward such micro-stakes. IIRC, at one point Harrington says some super-loose players might even see up to 30% of the flops. As I wrote that I glanced over at PokerOffice and in my current game every player but me is seeing over 30%, a couple over 50%. So far, this has been a tight table.

Stop playing freerolls if you're just trying to learn. Even $1+$0.10 MTTs are going to be better. Harrington's advice just isn't geared toward such micro-stakes. IIRC, at one point Harrington says some super-loose players might even see up to 30% of the flops. As I wrote that I glanced over at PokerOffice and in my current game every player but me is seeing over 30%, a couple over 50%. So far, this has been a tight table.
Thank you anselm.......I'm trying to put in place the structures and disciplines to win that Harrington covers. Like he said anyone can win a monster I want to take the others. I've qualified for the WSOP qualifier twice now and the players at the next level just hammer me all over....because I don't understand fully the principles. You're right I guess I'm gonna have to stump up some cash again to see if what I've learned so far has made any difference
Right here goes......I'm working my way through Harrington 1....I played a few freerolls last night just to try a few of the lessons out (I'm still on the early sections). And I failed miserably!! How the heck do you play people who've got no idea about pot odds, and are quite willing to go all-in with no idea that they've only got a 17% chance of hitting a straight only to hit it! I know in the long run these things even out ........but I'm frustrated that I'm learning this stuff and it's really at this point having no positive effect on my game. I have qualified on PP for WSOP freeroll qualifiers twice now, so I know my game is pretty good. Am I better of just playing it really tight in these freerolls? I wanted to try and vary my game style, and it seemed to have no discernible benefit . Your opinions readily accepted. Sorry for the waffle.
Like you said, you will win that hand 83% of the time. So you lost. No biggie. Just keep getting your money in with the best hand and then from there the cards speak (and if it is a 4:1 favorite even better). when players have no idea of odds, you will more likely then not be causing them to make mistakes. Their mistakes win you money in the long run. Just keep making them make mistakes.

if the tournaments you're playing are super, super loose but don't raise much preflop, see a TON of flops in position (with unsuited connectors, 1-gappers, etc) and push REALLY hard when you hit something strong. if they do like to raise preflop, though, you're kind of at the mercy of the deck. it can be really frustrating, indeed, but rest assured, you've got a better chance to win those things than the idiots.good luck.

I play low-stakes ($5 and $10 SNG) and found Harrington (both volumes) helped immensely. When I do play the odd free-roll, the play is so loose that you can't really guage your game. Even having $5.00 on the line seems to encourage people to take things more seriously.Hang in there - and make sure to pick up Volume II - especially helpful late in tournaments when the blinds rise and you're short-stacked.Good luck.

I've been telling my brother this for a long time now... freerolls will destory your game. It's just not the same as playing for money, at all. The bottom line is that you know the odds and that you know your opponents are sucking out. That's all you have to know is that no matter what, you played it correctly. It's a hard thing to learn, but eventually you'll feel a sense of satisfaction getting all your money in as an 83% favorite, despite what turns and rivers.

Well my last foray into money territory cost me $150 so now I'm armed with my new found knowledge I guess it's time to put into practice what I've learntWish me luck!!! I have nothing to lose but my house!!

I have qualified on PP for WSOP freeroll qualifiers twice now, so I know my game is pretty good.
First mistake.Don't expect instant success in deep fields. Play your A game and your time will come. The 1st 100 failures will mean nothing when you get your first victory.

Freeroll is equal to lottery with the way people play in them. All in regardless the cards they hold. Best advice, stick to premium starting hands and value bet them as much as you can. Soon the donks will whittle out of the game and you can began to play more of your style.

agree.i dont play noobs anymore because they just call call call with mid pair od inside straight draws and crush the players who know what they are doing

shawm,I suggest raising some money for poker and playing for "something", "anything".While you won't see MUCH difference until you start getting a bit higher with more advanced players who will pay attention to such things, you'll at least see a 'slight' difference and can begin working on your game.Freerolls are nothing more than a ground for mine-sniffing apes.

agree.i dont play noobs anymore because they just call call call with mid pair od inside straight draws and crush the players who know what they are doing
wow. It must suck to hate money as much as you.
I am right in assuming he forgot the sw?Might as well give you some advice too, like most have said free rolls are not real poker at least for an hour or two, and it makes it hard to try to put into action some good poker theroy against people who don't care if they win or lose. So here is what i suggest you do, Determine an amount of money you are willing to part with on a monthly or weekly basis, save up if you have to by cutting out a couple of things you don't need if you have to. Then find a site you like and deposit that amoutn of money in, I would suggest 100 or more, otherwise the depoisting agency's fee will eat into you more then you want.Then play some smaller buy in touraments or cash games where you don't care if you win or lose you just want the expernice and enjoyment of playing cards. And try to learn at least one thing from every tourament and don't repeat the mistake again if you can help it. and like everyone has said PLAY TIGHT, not only is it the best way to beat super loose bad players, but you are not going to have the know how yet to play after the flop and will make huge mistakes for a big part of your stack. Raise 4to5 times the BB cause you don't want to play flops becuase you will not be skilled enough to play with them after. But most of all HAVE FUN HAVE FUN and stick to your money guidelines you set because most likely you will be a losing player at first.
Ehh.....This is where the profitability comes into play, no ? :club:
OK newb here what does that mean??
Top Pair / Making Funny Munny