***official Boston Red Sox Thread***

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. In 2004, game 4 of the ALCS, inning 9 I was just resigned to losing. It was a different kind of resignation though, much more angry and depressed. Last year I didn't think we'd come back from 3-1 to the Indians, but I don't remember a moment when I thought it was totally over. Tonight I turned the game off at 5-0 after the 6th, came and read this thread and everybody talking about next year, and was lucky enough to turn it back on in time for Drew's homerun, while I was expecting to see the Ray's about to celebrate. The team was so flat, the game was so over!Moral of the story: the Sox string of ridiculously unlikely and fantastically exciting post-season comebacks continues!

What happened? I turned it off when it was 7-0. WTF?!?!?!?
pfft Get out of here New Yorker.But I think realistically this game should still be going, the walk off hit was totally catchable. I think Gabe Gross just froze, to his credit it was a line drive and it might have been hard to judge off the bat.

I'll give the BoSox fans on this board a lot of credit. On a lot of other boards, the non-stop whining and b*tching from BoSox fans has been unbearable..considering their great success lately. On here though, it hasn't been that way...sure you guys don't like losing IF that happens, but the whining has been minimal....mostly focus on next year and giving credit to the Rays playing so well (until last night).

I am so pissed. I turned the game sometime after the Wings game and it was like 5-0 in the 7th and Tampa was up to bat. I swore a bit and then said screw it, this is over, damn Sox, and then put in CoD4 and played for a couple hours then went to bed and turned on ESPN and they are talking about this awesome comeback.

Although obviously I'm elated in the win, I feel a bit bad for J.P. Howell. I like the kid and have been watching him since his UT days. Koop I'm sure knows him well from his time in KC, and I really thought Howell was going to pan out there. Still, glad he had a fine regular season.

Although obviously I'm elated in the win, I feel a bit bad for J.P. Howell. I like the kid and have been watching him since his UT days. Koop I'm sure knows him well from his time in KC, and I really thought Howell was going to pan out there. Still, glad he had a fine regular season.
Howell probably pitched a bit over his head this year.......his stuff isn't all that great....but he should be a servicable reliever for a while. Bad trade by the Royals giving him away for Joey Gathright, but not gonna hurt us too much. Game 6 is going to be HUGE. I don't think the Rays can win a game 7 if they drop two in a row to the BoSox......
Howell probably pitched a bit over his head this year.......his stuff isn't all that great....but he should be a servicable reliever for a while. Bad trade by the Royals giving him away for Joey Gathright, but not gonna hurt us too much. Game 6 is going to be HUGE. I don't think the Rays can win a game 7 if they drop two in a row to the BoSox......
I didn't really like the idea of giving Jay Bay a free base, especially considering the numbers Drew has put up against JP. Bay's first postseason, first REAL big at-bat, plus he's mainly a fastball hitter, and Howell's best stuff is all offspeed. I don't know if Maddon "froze" in the spotlight, or just felt that it would be nigh-impossible for the Sox to win, but I really thought he made about 10 wrong decisions in the last 4 innings, as opposed to a handful the rest of of the series.
I didn't really like the idea of giving Jay Bay a free base, especially considering the numbers Drew has put up against JP. Bay's first postseason, first REAL big at-bat, plus he's mainly a fastball hitter, and Howell's best stuff is all offspeed. I don't know if Maddon "froze" in the spotlight, or just felt that it would be nigh-impossible for the Sox to win, but I really thought he made about 10 wrong decisions in the last 4 innings, as opposed to a handful the rest of of the series.
Madden made some bad decisions in the game but this wasnt one of them. 7 at bats isnt meaning full enough to outway the fact that Bay is a career 282 hitter against lefties and Drew is a career 260 hitter against them each over at least 600 at bats. Also Drew isnt 100%. Plus walking Bay allowed for forced outs at 3rd and second.
Madden made some bad decisions in the game but this wasnt one of them. 7 at bats isnt meaning full enough to outway the fact that Bay is a career 282 hitter against lefties and Drew is a career 260 hitter against them each over at least 600 at bats. Also Drew isnt 100%. Plus walking Bay allowed for forced outs at 3rd and second.
What's enough at-bats against one pitcher to matter? If he faces him tomorrow night and singles, and is now 6-9, it isn't indicative of a trend? There's different kinds of lefties, and Howell certainly isn't a flame-thrower. Bay strikes out a lot; he's admitted it's part of his game. And most of those k's come against off-speed stuff, which Howell features. I understand getting to the lefty, but there's gotta be more to that decision than just averages.Either way, he left Wheeler in way too long.
Also Drew isnt 100%.
He looked pretty good hitting a homerun in his previous at-bat, but it's pretty impossible not to be a Monday morning quarterback when looking at that decision.

This is the series right here. I don't think the Rays could bounce back to win game 7 if they lose tonight and after that big blown lead in Game 5. This should be a great game...I'll admit to hoping the Rays win..but I don't hate the BoSox either......hopefully it's a great game. As long as the winner of this series destroys the Phillies, I'll be happy....

This is the series right here. I don't think the Rays could bounce back to win game 7 if they lose tonight and after that big blown lead in Game 5. This should be a great game...I'll admit to hoping the Rays win..but I don't hate the BoSox either......hopefully it's a great game. As long as the winner of this series destroys the Phillies, I'll be happy....
Whoever wins the ALCS will no doubt carry plenty of momentum into the WS (since it's been such a hard-fought series), while the Phillies have a week off to try and stay ready.

Way to TBS ****ing blow the first inning of the game. Of course the catwalks come into play in this series :club: the sooner this stadium is obliterated the better.I'm really hoping Bay can pound the ball tonight.

Whoever wins the ALCS will no doubt carry plenty of momentum into the WS (since it's been such a hard-fought series), while the Phillies have a week off to try and stay ready.
Not to mention that both the Sox and Rays are FAR superior teams to the Phillies. That doesn't mean the Phillies can't win..you never know what can happen in a short series, but the AL team will be the heavy, heavy favorite. If the BoSox make the WS, I think they'll sweep it....their offense will just absolutely pound the Phillies weak starting pitching (relative to most postseason staffs). If the Rays make it.....I say Rays in 6......

YES!!! TEK! TIZ! BECKETT! OKIE-DOKIE! PAP! YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUK!P.S. TBS burn in hell. I made a thread for expressions of anger and/or bemusement.

I don't really know what to say, except that I'm glad I was born a Red Sox fan. I know other fans of other teams know glory and they know suffering and they know heartbreak and they've experienced great comebacks...but I think the experience of being a Red Sox fan is totally unique.Win or lose tomorrow, I appreciate this team.