***official Boston Red Sox Thread***

We're too good at home, it's unfair sometimes.And Daisuke is all like "Listen, I know I'm walking a lot of guys, but check out my ERA and Opponent BA so I'm going to go ahead and keep on working out of jams."

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

GO SOX!!!Ellsbury set the Red Sox rookie record for steals today when he stole 2nd for his 32nd of the year. And then he stole 3rd. He's 33 for 36 now.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi?T. Wakefield (W 5-5) 7 2 0 0 1 6
Wakefield look unhittable today. But I still feel that knuckle ballers are the short stacks of baseball.
  • 2 weeks later...

One of the funniest baseball pictures ever. My favorite part is the nerdy kid listening to the game on the radio. I guess a few yankees fans are cool.499w.jpg

how is vartiek an all-star? lets hear the redsock explanation.
he's not? The players don't pay attention?Actually what likely happened is that most of them voted for Mauer. Since Mauer was voted in by the fans, the second highest vote getter got in, which is Varitek.
Actually what likely happened is that most of them voted for Mauer. Since Mauer was voted in by the fans, the second highest vote getter got in, which is Varitek.
Probably, but I think he also gets a lot of (well-deserved) credit for calling great games. He's caught 2 no-hitters since September and the 2nd one set the record for most no-hitters caught by any catcher ever. I'm guessing that played a big part, because he's hitting like .018.
Probably, but I think he also gets a lot of (well-deserved) credit for calling great games. He's caught 2 no-hitters since September and the 2nd one set the record for most no-hitters caught by any catcher ever. I'm guessing that played a big part, because he's hitting like .018.
Yeah, he has that reputation and reputation's the only thing he has going for him right now.In other news, I'm going to the game tomorrow. Been a while since I've been to Fenway. It's just easier to see them on the road....

Sunday night v. NYY - bottom 10, pinch hitting- How on Earth does Manny look at 3 strikes in a row and not swing? Considering who he is, his ability and the situation I give that about a 75% chance of being on purpose for not starting him. How could he possibly look his teammates in the eye after that? I dont know. Thoughts?

Sunday night v. NYY - bottom 10, pinch hitting- How on Earth does Manny look at 3 strikes in a row and not swing? Considering who he is, his ability and the situation I give that about a 75% chance of being on purpose for not starting him. How could he possibly look his teammates in the eye after that? I dont know. Thoughts?
whether he did it on purpose or not, he's a piece of shit. always has been, always will be.

LOL at piece of shit. I think, if anything, you got it backwards myenemy. If he was planning on not swinging, it was not because he was upset with having a day off, it would have been because he was upset with being forced to play on his day off. I'm not saying that's excusable, but I'm also not saying that's what happened. The man has incredible eyes, and takes more close pitches than probably anybody I've ever seen. He might have just thought that was ball 1. But after he took strike 2 I did think to myself, 'WTF Manny, you're not gonna swing are you?'In retrospect, I think it's most likely that he simply didn't see a pitch he liked. He had the day off so I doubt he took BP, wasn't prepared to pinch hit (this is his own fault), and then was just looking for a wasted curve on the 3rd pitch instead of a fastball painting the outside black, and he got frozen. Regarding the usefulness of having a Manny Ramirez on your team and whether or not he is a piece of shit: The man came to Boston in 2001 and has helped lead us to 2 world series titles. He has hit between .292 and .349 every year on the Sox. The fewest games he's played for us any season is 120. He's hit 271 home runs for us. He is 3rd among all active players in career OPS, behind Pujols and Helton (which also puts him 10th all-time). He is 2nd on the active career slugging, behind Pujols but ahead of A-Rod, Vladdy, etc, and is 8th all-time in that category. Jealous, maybe?Career Slugging:1. Babe Ruth2. Ted Williams3. Lou Gehrig4. Albert Pujols 5. Jimmie Foxx6. Barry Bonds*7. Hank Greenberg8. Manny Ramirez 9. Mark McGwire*10. Alex Rodriguez11. Joe DiMaggio12. Rogers HornsbyPretty good list to be on, imho.

whether he did it on purpose or not, he's a piece of shit. always has been, always will be.
lol. Manny was and is still one of the best players of the past 15 years. He has the best eye for the ball that I've ever seen. Are you sad he didn't sign with the Cards when he was a free agent? :club:
lol. Manny was and is still one of the best players of the past 15 years. He has the best eye for the ball that I've ever seen. Are you sad he didn't sign with the Cards when he was a free agent? :club:
I really would not want him on the redbirds. I cant stand hm.
LOL at piece of shit. I think, if anything, you got it backwards myenemy. If he was planning on not swinging, it was not because he was upset with having a day off, it would have been because he was upset with being forced to play on his day off. I'm not saying that's excusable, but I'm also not saying that's what happened. The man has incredible eyes, and takes more close pitches than probably anybody I've ever seen. He might have just thought that was ball 1. But after he took strike 2 I did think to myself, 'WTF Manny, you're not gonna swing are you?'In retrospect, I think it's most likely that he simply didn't see a pitch he liked. He had the day off so I doubt he took BP, wasn't prepared to pinch hit (this is his own fault), and then was just looking for a wasted curve on the 3rd pitch instead of a fastball painting the outside black, and he got frozen. Regarding the usefulness of having a Manny Ramirez on your team and whether or not he is a piece of shit: The man came to Boston in 2001 and has helped lead us to 2 world series titles. He has hit between .292 and .349 every year on the Sox. The fewest games he's played for us any season is 120. He's hit 271 home runs for us. He is 3rd among all active players in career OPS, behind Pujols and Helton (which also puts him 10th all-time). He is 2nd on the active career slugging, behind Pujols but ahead of A-Rod, Vladdy, etc, and is 8th all-time in that category. Jealous, maybe?Career Slugging:1. Babe Ruth2. Ted Williams3. Lou Gehrig4. Albert Pujols 5. Jimmie Foxx6. Barry Bonds*7. Hank Greenberg8. Manny Ramirez 9. Mark McGwire*10. Alex Rodriguez11. Joe DiMaggio12. Rogers HornsbyPretty good list to be on, imho.
Well Im really not debating his ability, his numbers obviously support his incredible talent. But thats all the more reason that Im actually about 95% sure he did that on purpose. Since my post I had a few convos about it and there have actually been numerous instances in which Manny has purposely not done what he is supposed to do. Now, if you want to say, "I dont care, his value is such that Im willing to overlook those faults." Bravo I say, good luck, all Im really saying is that he is not a good teammate or very professional about his sport. He is also quoted as saying something to the effect "I dont care if we lose, theres always next year." Translation: Theres always next year for me to make many more millions of dollars. Im not sitting here saying that every player wouldnt want to make millions but Manny, I think, is just much more selfish about the whole thing than most. Jesus, do you realize the guy grew up and went to HS in the Bronx and refuses to speak English?!?! I mean face it, he is a great player, but he is also a complete a*shole.
Well Im really not debating his ability, his numbers obviously support his incredible talent. But thats all the more reason that Im actually about 95% sure he did that on purpose. Since my post I had a few convos about it and there have actually been numerous instances in which Manny has purposely not done what he is supposed to do. Now, if you want to say, "I dont care, his value is such that Im willing to overlook those faults." Bravo I say, good luck, all Im really saying is that he is not a good teammate or very professional about his sport. He is also quoted as saying something to the effect "I dont care if we lose, theres always next year." Translation: Theres always next year for me to make many more millions of dollars. Im not sitting here saying that every player wouldnt want to make millions but Manny, I think, is just much more selfish about the whole thing than most. Jesus, do you realize the guy grew up and went to HS in the Bronx and refuses to speak English?!?! I mean face it, he is a great player, but he is also a complete a*shole.
Hmm. You know that he said 'I don't care if we lose there's always next year' after we went down 3-1 vs Cleveland last year in the ALCS. If memory serves, we went ahead and won our next 7 games and the World Series. Two things about his comment: 1 is that he was just telling the truth, it's not like the world would end if we lost, and it was pretty likely that we would lose. 2 is that he was probably trying to take some pressure off of his teammates. As far as speaking English, he moved to NYC when he was 12 from the Dominican Republic. Oh, and the neighborhood he moved to is almost entirely Dominican and everybody speaks Spanish all the time (I lived there). WTF do you care what language he speaks, and since when has he refused to speak English???? The past few seasons he has been giving a lot more post-game interviews, likely because his English has improved. GODDAMIT I FUCKING HATE HIDEKI MATSUI WHY WON'T HE LEARN ENGLISH, EVERYBODY WHO'S ANYBODY SPEAKS ENGLISH HE'S SO SELFISH I HATE HIM. That's you.
Hmm. You know that he said 'I don't care if we lose there's always next year' after we went down 3-1 vs Cleveland last year in the ALCS. If memory serves, we went ahead and won our next 7 games and the World Series. Two things about his comment: 1 is that he was just telling the truth, it's not like the world would end if we lost, and it was pretty likely that we would lose. 2 is that he was probably trying to take some pressure off of his teammates. As far as speaking English, he moved to NYC when he was 12 from the Dominican Republic. Oh, and the neighborhood he moved to is almost entirely Dominican and everybody speaks Spanish all the time (I lived there). WTF do you care what language he speaks, and since when has he refused to speak English???? The past few seasons he has been giving a lot more post-game interviews, likely because his English has improved. GODDAMIT I FUCKING HATE HIDEKI MATSUI WHY WON'T HE LEARN ENGLISH, EVERYBODY WHO'S ANYBODY SPEAKS ENGLISH HE'S SO SELFISH I HATE HIM. That's you.
(Long sigh) Are you 5 or 6?
(Long sigh) Are you 5 or 6?
Er, I don't get it? You were the one saying you don't like him because he "refuses to speak English." Was the long sigh because of how well I refuted your ridiculous claims?By the by, he lived in upper Manhattan, not the Bronx.
  • 2 weeks later...

Marlins get Manny Ramirez, one prospect (Red Sox), and cash (likely covering Ramirez’s remaining salary)Pirates get Jeremy Hermida and three prospects (two Marlins, one Red Sox)Red Sox get Jason Bay and John Grabow