Scientology, A Cult?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point. The article was long, but did you read it?
I read the whole article. Very well written. I agree, it will be the internet that can finally disassemble this cult.
i'll be reading this on my lunch...i'm sure i'll probably think worse of scientology then when i read up on it on wikipedia....
You will. It was very enlightening.
You will. It was very enlightening.
yeah i actually did, it just took me a while to comment on it.i must say, wikipedia watered down the brevity of the situation to appear neutral. some of the things that was listed in this (the maxing out of credit cards, and the hemmoraging) was just insane.not to mention the nazi-ish work camps...makes me almost want to go on an arson spree at tom cruise's place.
I read the whole article. Very well written. I agree, it will be the internet that can finally disassemble this cult.
As it may well disassemble Christianity. There is very little in Scientology that Ive read that is any less credible than the Bible.Or to carry it one step further, there is no more reason to believe in the Christian god than there is the Flying Spaghetti Monster, other than the latter is clearly presented as parody, while the former was presented as truth to control and extract wealth from its followers.
As it may well disassemble Christianity. There is very little in Scientology that Ive read that is any less credible than the Bible.Or to carry it one step further, there is no more reason to believe in the Christian god than there is the Flying Spaghetti Monster, other than the latter is clearly presented as parody, while the former was presented as truth to control and extract wealth from its followers.
Are you kidding? Faith aside, there are plenty stories from the bible that have been documented in places other than the Bible. With the simplest of those documented accounts being that the Romans killed Jesus by crucifixion just as it was explained in the Bible. Now granted the basis of Christianity doesn't reside in the death, but nowhere in Roman history have I ever read that they found the body of Jesus. Faith will determine if you believe that the disciples did a great job of stealing and then hiding the body or if he rose from the dead as the Bible teaches. That is a personal decision for everyone to make, but to claim that the Bible is no more credible than scientology is pure ignorance. Find me any scientific evidence of thethans or engrams or such and I'll eat crow and fully explore the possibilities of scientology. Until then this is a cult and the fact that everyone doesn't see it as such says a lot about our society, and even more for the power that pop culture has over our society.
but nowhere in Roman history have I ever read that they found the body of Jesus. .......Until then this is a cult and the fact that everyone doesn't see it as such says a lot about our society...
Roman history could give a crap about what happened to the body of some rabble rouser crucified in the provinces.On the second quote, the same could be said about Christianity.
Are you kidding? Faith aside, there are plenty stories from the bible that have been documented in places other than the Bible. With the simplest of those documented accounts being that the Romans killed Jesus by crucifixion just as it was explained in the Bible. Now granted the basis of Christianity doesn't reside in the death, but nowhere in Roman history have I ever read that they found the body of Jesus. Faith will determine if you believe that the disciples did a great job of stealing and then hiding the body or if he rose from the dead as the Bible teaches. That is a personal decision for everyone to make, but to claim that the Bible is no more credible than scientology is pure ignorance. Find me any scientific evidence of thethans or engrams or such and I'll eat crow and fully explore the possibilities of scientology. Until then this is a cult and the fact that everyone doesn't see it as such says a lot about our society, and even more for the power that pop culture has over our society.
Find me any scientific evidence of god or that Jesus was anything but a televangelist ahead of his time and I'll eat crow and fully explore the possibilities of Christianity.
Find me any scientific evidence of god or that Jesus was anything but a televangelist ahead of his time and I'll eat crow and fully explore the possibilities of Christianity.
I wasn't attempting to convince you to explore the possibilities of Christianity. I was just refuting your argument that Christianity is no more provable than Scientology. My point is that it takes a lot of faith in either of the beliefs. But I'll make the argument that Christian faith is at least based on a true story, and that Scientology is based on a nothing more than one individual's unusual ideas.
But I'll make the argument that Christian faith is at least based on a true story,
Yes, the true story that Jesus was the literal son of God. Everybody knows that this is an historical fact.::extremely sarcastic face::
Yes, the true story that Jesus was the literal son of God. Everybody knows that this is an historical fact.::extremely sarcastic face::
Thank you, I was waiting for someone to say it. Your cult isn't more credible than theirs.
Roman history could give a crap about what happened to the body of some rabble rouser crucified in the provinces.
Then why would they go to the trouble of guarding the tomb? Or why not give the diciples the body when they asked for it? Its much the same case with our government andBin Laden or Zawahiri. If one of them is allegedly killed and then goes missing and is proclaim to be alive do you think the American government will care about the body of a rabble rouser killed in the desert?It was important to them. They questioned the diciples and killed them for not giving up the body. But again my point is Scientology cant be compared to Christianity, Judaism,or Islam.
Then why would they go to the trouble of guarding the tomb? Or why not give the diciples the body when they asked for it? Its much the same case with our government andBin Laden or Zawahiri. If one of them is allegedly killed and then goes missing and is proclaim to be alive do you think the American government will care about the body of a rabble rouser killed in the desert?It was important to them. They questioned the diciples and killed them for not giving up the body. But again my point is Scientology cant be compared to Christianity, Judaism,or Islam.
Sure it can, and Flying Spaghetti Monsterism can be compared to all 4.
To quote the infamous Sharkey, your concession is accepted.
Concession by no means. I could go on for days. I'm sure you could too. I have things I enjoy more than a perpetual head butting contest. My edit was to change a response directed at Tim Wakefield’s poor reading comprehension skills. To quote somebody, never argue with an idiot people watching might not be able to tell the difference.