I Called In Sick Today

Just what are you people planning on doing in your retirement years? Is the theoretical concept that you've maximized your return on savings (at the cost of depriving yourself while young) really worth more than enjoying life when you're still vibrant and enchanted with the world?

I'm pretty confident that old, jaded, bored 68 year old me would tell me, now, that 68 years old ****ing sucks and to have as much fun as you can at this age, while there's still a chance in hell of actually enjoying the things you encounter, rather than being 'financially comfortable' in your old age but at a stage where its moot anyway; at that point, you're just hanging around waiting to die, regardless of how much money you have.

I think its because deep down, the vast majority of people don't accept that they're going to die. They think that life is this long, never-ending game that they have to 'prepare' for. Once you get your mind around the inevitability of death, saving for 'old age' is pretty pointless since you can always check out whenever you feel like it, if shit gets bad enough, and we know that the sheen on living most definitely wears off sometime in your 40's. The things people find meaningful in this life never cease to amaze me.

I think I'm going to write a short story.

I move for the short story to have illustrations.

• Like 1
  • Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

I mean, come on.

My boss calls me over,tells me to leave my gf home, he was a little drunk, inexplicably, his wife and her friend are there watching the game, he wants me to have sex with his wife and her friend while he watches.

Dude heard about the hog

Dude definitely ****ed Strat; he just didn't do it the way Ron was hoping.

• Like 2

I'm surprised you all think a talk will do any good in the workplace. My experience is the company doesn't care about the employee, we are all replaceable meat bags. Our skill sets are interchangeable with unknown people that are just outside the company. The only thing that might be noteworthy are internal relationships (hire in a toxic personality and watch the company burn).

Take as much as you can from this company, the school, the contacts, the good networking, then leave at first opportunity. Your compensation will most likely never be at market value, you started behind the eight ball.

• Like 1

if I were the boss and responsible for picking who should be the face / point person on the new venture, I'm picking the CFA every time. I think I'm having trouble accepting it because 1) it's taking away something I believed to be pretty secure and 2) the CFA in question is an enormous douche.

thinking about this shit just makes me really unhappy.

Just what are you people planning on doing in your retirement years? Is the theoretical concept that you've maximized your return on savings (at the cost of depriving yourself while young) really worth more than enjoying life when you're still vibrant and enchanted with the world?

I'm pretty confident that old, jaded, bored 68 year old me would tell me, now, that 68 years old ****ing sucks and to have as much fun as you can at this age, while there's still a chance in hell of actually enjoying the things you encounter, rather than being 'financially comfortable' in your old age but at a stage where its moot anyway; at that point, you're just hanging around waiting to die, regardless of how much money you have.

Old, jaded, 68 year old you? Who are you kidding? One of the hidden benefits of being morbidly obese, is you don't have to worry about retirement planning. If that ticker makes it to SS age, it would be a hanukkah miracle.

• Like 4

Drinking some Buffalo Trace tonight. Very pleasant. Saw the Stagg Jr. for $70, but that's still a tough trigger to pull.

Got tomorrow off to get some Christmas pictures done, and got Wednesday off to remember the faces of our fathers as well.The 1-day work week, followed by a weekend and then a 2-day workweek, should be emulated more often.

Also picked up this game, Pandemic Legacy. Legacy games are games where you rip up cards, write on the board, put stickers on stuff, so the game changes as the story goes, and you can't undo anything. The original Pandemic game is a great co-op game, but the idea of spending $50 on something I can only use a dozen times before it's officially, literally useless was too good to pass up. Got it in the mail today, but probably have to wait until at least Sunday to get things going. Quite looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Old, jaded, 68 year old you? Who are you kidding? One of the hidden benefits of being morbidly obese, is you don't have to worry about retirement planning. If that ticker makes it to SS age, it would be a hanukkah miracle.

Do you think if I didn't sincerely believe every single thing I said I *wouldn't* be a fat slob?

I'd be right there working cardo with the rest of the bros, worrying about my 401k and retirement savings since I'd be so totally sure I'd need that passive income for my 128th birthday.

• Like 1

People are fooled into believing their Golden Years are when they are into their 60's and 70's.

Save up your entire life to do absolutely nothing because your health won't allow you to. Your Golden Years are when you are in your 40's and 50's enjoy them.

I'm gonna be 72, out in Vegas, going HAM at blackjack table with a few pros and just living the life. You'll be working at Walmart cause you spent it all in your 40s, as though compounding returns is to be ignored. Let the wealth management professionals handle this one.

I'm gonna be 72, out in Vegas, going HAM at blackjack table with a few pros and just living the life. You'll be working at Walmart cause you spent it all in your 40s, as though compounding returns is to be ignored. Let the wealth management professionals handle this one.

Only way I am working at walmart at 70 is if ice cream becomes obsolete and google shares go under $400.

client, who hasn't paid us for six months+, calls to yell at me for 40 minutes today, demanding an explanation for every transaction in all of their accounts. well, no, I can't really explain why everything was done, but I can provide all the emails I sent confirming all this shit you asked me to do.

later in the day, the director says to me, "we're having dinner with [the people behind the opportunity with the bonus] and [ex roomie] has a board meeting, would you like to go." I looked at him for a few seconds, then went back to what I was doing. jesus christ what a tilting day.

the bosses at my company love me. the boss of the other company, he's doing this because he's buddies with the co-founder of my company, and doesn't really care about the subordinates (director included). this isn't some big firm with established roles and titles, it's a small company / free for all / arbitrary moneyfest for those at the top, and I was hired too late in the game to participate in the orgy.

I no longer have a chance at this thing--it was decided the moment ex roomie decided he wanted it. that's why I was an attempted last minute sub-in for this dinner.

the bosses at my company love me. the boss of the other company, he's doing this because he's buddies with the co-founder of my company, and doesn't really care about the subordinates (director included). this isn't some big firm with established roles and titles, it's a small company / free for all / arbitrary moneyfest for those at the top, and I was hired too late in the game to participate in the orgy.

you're looking at this all wrong. the dinner was your opportunity to talk your way into the orgy. you go to the dinner, you shmooze, and you get the attention of the other company mucky-muck so that he asks for you. or, at a minimum, you show your boss something and you're at the top of the list for the next thing.

if you really think you've missed the boat here for all future endeavors then what are you doing there?

it seems like your expecting to get rewarded based solely on your contribution when you know damn well it doesn't work like that.

• Like 2