I Called In Sick Today

The sign on your door Frau, " arctic kingdom", begs the question, why?

Could it possibly be that for the first time in human history, we've discovered a woman who *doesn't* keep a room at 92 ****ing degrees?

• Like 2
  • Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

Have you ever seen someone with shitty insight defend a dumb position with a bad narration?

Ala: http://www.newsweek.com/clifford-stoll-why-web-wont-be-nirvana-185306

Just having an argument with someone about why health care in the United States is the 'best in the world' because if you're a Dubai sultan who can write a check for $6,000,000, NYC is the place to get your cancer treated.

The last woman I dated, I brought her a maple, aluminum and carbon fiber lamp.

The lesson I learned is, the reason men give flowers is because flowers eventually get thrown in the garbage and it isn't any kind of a commitment. With Lamps, they get ****ing clingy.

I would definitely buy a piece of your furniture Scram. I'll be at the Art Institute in the morning if you're interested.

Hey! Did you two meet?

The sign on your door Frau, " arctic kingdom", begs the question, why?

Could it possibly be that for the first time in human history, we've discovered a woman who *doesn't* keep a room at 92 ****ing degrees?

Ahhahahaa no assclowns. I am held hostage to the arcane air conditioning in my office. My office gets so so cold I have a blanket and was wearing a parka last week, and you can feel the cold air billowing out of my door.

Once or twice a month the maintenance guy comes through our space and wanders in and out of offices offering to "fix" the heating/cooling. Other offices are routinely stuck at a 82ish temp, which I think is worse. I even have a thermometer behind my desk which doesn't seem to control a damn thing.

Re: flowers

I don't know if I speak for everyone, but what my partner and I like about the ephemeral nature of flowers is related to Winning, not commitment. I like that I can spend a couple hundred dollars on a bouquet, and then have nothing but trash to show for it after a short period. Keeping flowers around is the domain of Winners, which is why so many people talk shit about them.

Edit: I don't think I actually even speak for my partner on that. I think some people like the way they look/smell or something dumb.

• Like 2

I am a Winner. Two coworkers go to the flower mart and bring me flowers without me asking.

This time I ramped up, and got a third coworker to do the arrangement. She's very talented and in her early 20s, and is flattered when people ask her to work for free.

• Like 4

"After further review, it's come to our attention that Mark the line judge bet the farm on Nebraska, the player was forced out and the touchdown stands."

Whatever it takes to get the W baby...

• Like 1

it looked like the right call to me, so i think we can leave it at that. looking so forwarded to getting bowl eligible at the expense of Iowa's perfect season. those tears will taste so sweet.

I don't know if this story is for anyone in the thread:

I met a woman last night who's an adjunct Ivy League professor and has been an editor at the New Yorker and an editor at significant publishing house.

She's a brilliant, unaffected person, and loves what she does. She segued into telling a story about "Ray" Carver and I my breath hitched. She really knew and worked with him, and plowed on with her anecdote. I still feel a little starstruck.

• Like 3

so last night, the director of my department asks me to hang out and to not bring my girlfriend, to talk shop. I go over there and his wife and another friend are uncharacteristically watching the game with him. he's kinda drunk and just point blank asks me how I would take it if he gave the opportunity on this upcoming project to my ex roommate. says my ex roommate is saying he doesn't have enough to do during the day.

have to sidetrack for an anecdote. a few months ago, we were going to create a portfolio manager role for a subset of clients. this was going to involve a bonus pool for whoever took the responsibility, either current or future employee. I volunteered initially, and my ex roomie objected, saying I didn't have the experience to do it. long story short, that role still exists, but the bonus pool was eliminated. I am sharing the responsibility with ex roomie; we didn't hire anyone.

so anyway--this new opportunity. early indication is that it will have a bonus pool, and I was tapped to lead it. we sit down to do the math, the money looks pretty serious if we are successful. a week later, ex roomie is again pulling rank to shut me out.

I'm pretty much at the whim of what the director wants to do here, just trying to avoid being salty / view it as my ex roomie being greedy as ****. he makes $120-130k now, five years into the job, off of a variety of bonuses no longer available to newer hires. I make $50kish after about 1.75 years, and basically share the same set of responsibilities at the moment, plus head trader duties.

I thought about firing up the job search, or demanding a department swap, or whatever, but at this point I feel like I'm just screwed and should focus on being a team player and see how it develops. it's just ****ed up, because the role demands logistical excellence / ability with VBA, so they're going to lean heavily on me regardless of who is deemed the point person.

• Like 1

anyway, I just said that he should give the role to whomever is the best fit. my ex roomie is a CFA, and that lends a lot of credibility. I trust that the director isn't going to **** me over, I just bristle whenever comp comes up, because I'm getting ****ed over relative to coworkers and being told I'm doing a fantastic job.

It's amazing to me what a fvcking douche your ex roommate has been to you from the get go. Such a chicken shit move by the guy. But I would not quit or ask for a,transfer. I would make it my business to find a way to crush his ass like a bug.

Reno was fun. I played $1/2 for about 5 1/2 hours and finished up $150. Should have been more but I really, really played a hand with KK poorly and lost much more than I should have. Not long after a drunk Canadian raises pre flop, I reraise with AA and he pushes enough to cover me. I snap call obv and hold against his 77 to make back what I lost on the KK hand, so that was nice.

• Like 2

this ex-roommate needs to be your ex-friend. i would all out undermine/ make him look bad at work if given the chance and i wouldn't feel even slightly bad about it. he's taking money out of your pocket, so fvck him.

• Like 1

strat, he was testing you and you failed.

he was feeling you out to see if you are a serious man, to be treated with respect (yeah I been watching Godfather today).You gave the "whatever is best for the company" line that an someone who isn't driven would give. if there is a position you want and someone in authority straight up asks you for your thoughts on who is the best man for the job your answer is always, unequivocally the same: you are. You are always the best man for the job (unless it's a position you don't want). This is especially the case if it's fairly well known, at least by management, that you want the job. don't be milton (i've also watched some office space recently) in the cake line and meekly pass your piece along, take that piece of birthday cake and lick the ****ing frosting so every ******* in the office knows you're claiming it. You have essentially given them permission to pass you by and shit on you while doing it. I can't think of a good way to walk this back to position yourself as a front runner, I think now you're going to have to go into damage control. you need to start making it very clear that if you don't get this position there is very little time you are going to throw at it without revisiting title and compensation. if they balk, which they are about 90% certain to do, you have to decide how far you are willing to go so you should start considering options now. I personally would probably employ a work slowdown strategy when pushed to assist ex-roomie in any fashion.

• Like 2

hank might be right on this one. they tried to pile work on me with no monetary reward and i interviewed for an internal transfer two weeks later. i wasn't going to accept that and neither should you.

I definitely think he was just feeling out whether I would rage quit the department. he is in the camp that the people who contribute should be proportionately rewarded. it's just, we are handcuffed in that only a few of our responsibilities have direct financial benefits. it's awkward, and I'm not even sure that I would be eligible for those rewards at my current rank.

there's just so much ambiguity, other than the fact that seniority is ****ing me over right now. I'm just burning through my CFP studies, marking off the days until I can start using my designation as leverage. on the plus side, I am back on pace to finish the course and start studying for the exam by Jan 1... finished an entire section this weekend. granted, it was investments.