I Called In Sick Today

Tilty, shame on you for eating out when you couldn't afford to tip. I appreciate the effort to make it up now.

I was in my early 20's, married with a young child. And a wife that couldn't cook. I didn't yet know that I could. We ate out way too much. Cheap, crappy places though like Denny's and Lyons (don't think they're around anymore), Carrow's etc.... We were borderline poverty level, hell probably below. Looking back I have no idea how we managed. We also "happened" to show up at various family members houses around dinner time a lot just so we could eat that day. The stories I could tell. It was ridiculous.

Yes to overtipping, especially in a place with entrees at the $10 range. Those servers are running themselves ragged, and have no hope of some awkward second date couple ordering a bottle or two of wine to get the evening going.

Counter service confuses me--I was at a ramen place, there was a server/busser and someone in the kitchen brought me my food. I tip 20%, but not more, as is my wont.

Mr. Sklansky, were you tipping on legal services? And were you tipping to establish a relationship later? Like I love feeling like a treasured regular. I don't feel the same about tipping in an establishment I don't like (Starbucks) at a location I don't frequent (airport).

There's a little random shit hole teriyaki place right behind one of my stores. The food it really good and relatively cheap. It's counter service though. Walk in, order your food and the hot little mexican girl hands it to you. I feel weird tipping in a place like that where all they are is a cashier. But I'm there once a week or so, they know what I want, often have my food out before someone that orders before me etc... So I give her $2 for an $8 lunch.

One of my favorite poker rooms in WA was a little place and everyone knew me and said hi when I walked in. The server on duty would hand me a drink before I even had a chance to see them. I am a sucker for that kind of service and tipped very, very well. Same with the dealers. Even on a losing session I'd sometimes pull a $20 out of my pocket and drop it for the dealer. Usually tipped 20% of tourney winnings etc...

• Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

Alright.... this ketchup pretty well cinches it

Its been pretty apparent here of late that I...in my own mind that is... more than likely in the overwhelming majority... dont have one clue as to the goings on around here....

Furrowed brow syndrome. Picture me at a formal gathering and that sums it up. I dont understand. Much like sitting in a russian airplane cockpit, I look for symbols and location here of late. Im not saying I couldnt fly the thing.... but the effort required to do so would only be extended during a life threatening situation. Such as getting too drunk and saying, "Yeah, that SU twenty eight is no problem...at all"

So Im taking a break. Dont wanna have shake type rumors flying around that I died or anything. I have enough to figure out without ciphering on things like women. trust ole Beans on this one.... you cannot do it. Not possible. Dont try. Go with the flow. Fish in the sea. Hairy opening to a gut. You get the point. Hahaha...yeah.

Ive made the same mistake over and over. Overthink a problem. Dwell on the bastard long enough and it will eat your ass up. Ninety nine percent of the time when you just say screw it, Im doing it this way, it works out fine. If it dont, then what the hell. You learn something. That leads to another solution. Eventually it fades away like a cold. Remember your last one?

Happiness is not concerning yourself with the past, or with worrying about how it effects the future. Everyone goes up and down. Difference is, when you are down dont stay there. Learn from what happened and bounce right back. The ole saying is something like, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting the same results"

Ill be at the SEMA show the first week in November. Look me up. Slip the kid at the the entrance a twenty to page me or Shane. A faster way is to head straight to the area where the bikini models are. Ill be more than glad to be your guide for the week....

......Just make sure you heed my instructions on what to tell the wife what we are doing

In the last couple weeks, I've given a bunch of $20 tips, a few $50 tips, at least a half-dozen $100 tips, a $500 tip and a $1000 tip.

I am a people person.

Are they hiring where you eat out?

Oh, please. Had Brv said "hey, this girl will go on a date with you, here is a picture of her" I would have asked her. It wouldn't have worked out because I would have messed it up somehow as I think I was even worse than I am now, but I would have went on a date with her. I'm not very good at putting in the effort for things, but I usually am capable of executing if all the work is done.

And I think I'm having to re-evaluate my "I'm awful with people and nobody really likes me, they just feel sorry for me" stance.

I too think you should reevaluate that.

Anyway, you can't come down on me too hard. I already set you up with that cute 23year old single mom. Everything was a go, and you didn't pull the trigger.

The real issue with P, is that about a month after she agreed to go out on a date with you, she started dating Aaron. They're the couple that asked me to perform their wedding.

all you need to know about the coffee date:

"Hey, I really enjoy talking and I want to be friends, but anything more than friends with coworkers always gets awkward. So I dunno as coffee is such good idea unless Im way off here. In which case Im super embarrassed!"

I gotta respond to this, but I don't know the best way.

I would have texted, "you're right, it's not a good idea. It's a great one."

So Im taking a break.

Terrible decision. I'll miss you.

The bachelor party ended up being fine despite my whiny hesitance. The cabin was more of a fancy for tourists cabin with a pool table, air hockey table and such. The lobster bake was a lot of fun and delicious. My future brother in law's friends were mostly good guys. We went to a shooting range on Saturday which was fun (I had never fired a gun before). I couldn't hit anything with a shotgun to save my life (literally I suppose?) but I was surprisingly deadly with a 9mm Glock and a Remington sniper rifle. Video game training, ftw.

It was very low key but good. Plus, I earned a lot of brownie points by bringing a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue. Someone brought Red Label for god's sake. Philistines.

Plus, I earned a lot of brownie points by bringing a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue. Someone brought Red Label for god's sake. Philistines.

That guy definitely felt like an idiot.

I'm going to finish a bottle of Blue tonight - I've had it for 7 years now, and only drink it on my son's birthday. My dad's in town, though, so it's going down.

Nice. Our bottle lasted two hours. Your way is probably much better.

For average service, I would tip $10 on a $48 tab if I was paying on a card, but would just round up to $60 if I was paying cash.

Beans leaving is terrible news. But this opens the door for Napa or Jubi to swoop in and take his spot in the playoffs. Only one more week left in the regular season...

I hope strat isn't too long in getting out of his building or he's going to be firmly entrenched in the friendzone. Did you ask her if she's had a bad experience with a work relationship?

• Like 1

Nice. Our bottle lasted two hours. Your way is probably much better.

When I was in highschool, my best friend and I were drinking in a bar one afternoon when we saw it. Neither of us had heard of it before, so we talked to the bartender about it, and found it was $30 a shot or something that seemed insane at the time. We passed, but agreed then that whoever got married first, the other would be best man, and buy a bottle of JWB for the night before the wedding.

Well, he got married first, about 10 years later, so I bought him the bottle. I remember being very busy that day, so I sent a friend to the liquor store with my credit card to buy it. He called me, concerned: "Are you aware that this is $300?" The groom's wedding party had a few drinks the night before the wedding (the bachelor party had been on the weekend prior) and he saved the rest of his bottle, and only drank it on his daughter's birthday (which was about 4 months later. I think he finished the bottle that night, lol). When I got married a few years later, he bought me a bottle, despite that not being the agreement, and he, my dad, and I enjoyed it the night before the wedding. I've been following his birthday rule ever since. I have a bit more self control though, so it has lasted me a little longer. I could make it last a couple more years, but since Dad is here, I'm not going to bother.

For average service, I would tip $10 on a $48 tab if I was paying on a card, but would just round up to $60 if I was paying cash.

Beans leaving is terrible news. But this opens the door for Napa or Jubi to swoop in and take his spot in the playoffs. Only one more week left in the regular season...

I hope strat isn't too long in getting out of his building or he's going to be firmly entrenched in the friendzone. Did you ask her if she's had a bad experience with a work relationship?

My general rule is to round the first number and double. So I also would have tipped $10 on $48.

Tipping has to be in the top 3 for reoccurring topics here.