Should I Just Quit Poker

Quit?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do?

• Quit poker forever
    • Keep playing
    • Take a short break for the game

I don't know im starting to think that poker just isn't for me. Im beyond frustrated i feel like i can just never catch a break. Which more likely means im just doing something wrong. I was just in a 30+3 tournament and nothing was going right so i decided to just push all in with Q5 not cause i thought i could take the pot away just because i didn't feel like playing anymore. I really don't think im actually enjoying poker at all anymore its just something to do. Ive completely stopped reading my poker books. I don't think im a losing player but im probably only a marginal winner. My bankroll is about $4500 and i usually play 5/10 and some multi table tournaments. Ive been breaking even at 5/10 lately and haven't had a decent multi table cash in about a month.

I honestly have no clue whether or not you're a winning player, but if you are you probably shouldn't quit. You probably should take a break for a while though. If you're not a winning player, it might be in your best interest to go ahead and quit.

I honestly have no clue whether or not you're a winning player, but if you are you probably shouldn't quit. You probably should take a break for a while though. If you're not a winning player, it might be in your best interest to go ahead and quit.
now that's some clear cut non-ambiguous solid advice. :club: ****************all I can say is don't post about it.Everyone doesIt's like you don't expect a downswing.So you've hit a rough spot.If you have doubts now, then yes, quit.

Take a nice break from the game & take some time to reflect..talking 1-2 months. I like to read (re-read) poker books during this time but it sounds to me like you could do without anything poker related. After that......???

See thats the problem i don't even know if im a winning player. My bankroll has come mainly from two big cashes for about 2900 total, 200 of my own money and 1400 or so from playing limit. My winrate is 2.03BB/hr at 5/10 through about 7000 hands. The problem is this really isn't a statistically significant number and although I feel like im on a bad run of cards ie. after having had KK 30 times ive lost 150 dollar on it. But for all i know im just a losing player who got lucky for a while.

Try out different gamesI was starting to lag before i found 5 card draw on Paradise and for the first time in a while im actually enjoying poker againCut down on the tournments, with no motivation to stay patient you're just donating, I was and may still beLike the others said, take a break, try some new games and see where you're at

Hey man, I'm on a break right now. I lost around $1000 a few weeks ago and am taking a few months off. Playing maybe once a month for fun. FOR FUN! If you can't have fun doing it, why do it. That's what I figured out the hard way. I was only playing to win money and I wasn't enjoying it anymore. I love poker and will get back into it in a few months. I find reading about it and checking all the forums keeps my mind fresh. I don't have to apply anything for a few months. I'm looking forward to getting back into it in May. I set myself a time frame to play. I suggest doing this so you can just enjoy life and NOT play cards. I feel that once I do play again, I won't be so inclined to play all the time and only play when I feel like it. Hope this helps.

I hear ya dude, believe you me. I've played a lot lately and everytime I go to the flop as a favorite, I always lose. It's enough to drive anyone insane. But it doesn't mean you should quit poker over it. Believe me, I'm about as hurt over poker right now as anyone. I feel like anytime I'm a favorite, I get hit hard by the turn or river, or I never improve, while everyone else hits their three outers on me.It hurts, it sucks, but honestly, if you're a winning player, there's nothing you can do about it. All you can do to control this is relax, take some time off, read your books again and give it the old college try in a month. But believe me, you won't quit poker over this, no matter how much you protest.

But believe me, you won't quit poker over this, no matter how much you protest.
That's the gospel truth! Once it's in your blood it may go into recession for a while but you'll "accidently" surf to one of your old sites "just to take a look"and you're buying in before you know it. As with just about anything else, if you think it, breathe it, do it every free moment for long enough you're going to get burnt out. This sounds like where you're at. Take a break....how long depends on you but don't come back until you WANT to come back. Too often we get so caught up in trying to make money that we forgot that we started playing this game "just for fun". Try that again. Tilt

Take a break, and try some new cash games.I'm on a downswing in tournaments and SnG's, and I am not playing any of them for one month, and have switched to cash games. Used to be 80% tournament and SnG player, and now am focused on cash games and see positive results.

I actually went through this most of last month. I completely stopped playing poker online, and only played $5 tourneys while drinking with my friends. To me, you just sound burnt out of grinding. Just delete the sites you play on for like a week, and relax. Watch some movies (Anything but Rounders), and forget about it for a couple of weeks. You will want to play poker again (if you are anything like I was back then), and hwen you want to play, your results should improve.

Try out different gamesI was starting to lag before i found 5 card draw on Paradise and for the first time in a while im actually enjoying poker againCut down on the tournments, with no motivation to stay patient you're just donating, I was and may still beLike the others said, take a break, try some new games and see where you're at
Great advice!It is very easy to ge into a rut playing holdem all the time. If you are not careful you start to take your bad beats into to much considration and alter your play. Fear or uncertainity starts to take over. You fold 78 off utg only to see the flop come 569 rainbow and you start to curse the poker gods. So then you start to chase 3 outers because low limt guys are always bluffing anyway. ****, somebody get me a beer I play better drunk anyway. What was I saying? Oh yeah, mix in some different games once in a while and you will find that you can stay focused better and actually enjoy the game for a change.
I don't know im starting to think that poker just isn't for me. Im beyond frustrated i feel like i can just never catch a break. Which more likely means im just doing something wrong. I was just in a 30+3 tournament and nothing was going right so i decided to just push all in with Q5 not cause i thought i could take the pot away just because i didn't feel like playing anymore. I really don't think im actually enjoying poker at all anymore its just something to do. Ive completely stopped reading my poker books. I don't think im a losing player but im probably only a marginal winner. My bankroll is about $4500 and i usually play 5/10 and some multi table tournaments. Ive been breaking even at 5/10 lately and haven't had a decent multi table cash in about a month.
QUIT? U CANT QUIT!! GO AHEAD AND TRY!! I DARE U!!

You'll never be able to quit. Even if you think you have, in a week or two you'll realize you have too much time on your hands and start playing again, and you'll do good after this period of time and become insanely addicted again.It's happened to me about a billion times now, I expect I need help.

So let me get this straight - you are averaging 2BB/100 over 7K hands at 5/10 and you are thinking about quitting poker? You have been 'breaking even' lately and this has you down?I cannot wait to see what you post when a 100 BB downswing comes your way.

See thats the problem i don't even know if im a winning player. My bankroll has come mainly from two big cashes for about 2900 total, 200 of my own money and 1400 or so from playing limit. My winrate is 2.03BB/hr at 5/10 through about 7000 hands. The problem is this really isn't a statistically significant number and although I feel like im on a bad run of cards ie. after having had KK 30 times ive lost 150 dollar on it. But for all i know im just a losing player who got lucky for a while.
The bolded portion is pretty much the definition of bad variance. At this point I really have no reliable way to prove one way or the other whether you're a long term winner. However, I'd say that the fact that you've had 2 significant cashes and you've won 2 BB/100 over 7k hands of 5/10 tends to make me think that you are a winning player. My suggestion would be to take a little time off, then come back and try to grind up from .5/1 using proper bankroll guidelines. I'd say that if you can get back to 5/10 that way, then 1) You're definitely a winning player; and 2) You will have gained a ton of experience in the process.

yea, having kk 30 times and losing money on it is no big deal..unless you just cant fold the hand.i remember one like 3 day span where i got KK 11 times in like..i dunno, not statistically the "usual" amount per 'x' hands, but it got cracked 9 times...now i didnt go to a showdown all 9 times to see it get cracked, and thus saved me money, but yea..it's frustrating...sometimes u just gotta lay it down though..i dunno...if u cant take variance though, maybe it just isn't your thing...mehgl- Jordan

I figure you should play golf until you realize that poker is by far less frustrating.
Golf is frustrating ill admit but poker is 1000000 times more frustrating for me. At least with golf i have complete control over what happens if i miss a 2 foot putt its my fault and thats just the way it goes but poker I can play completely perfect and still get destroyed, therefore ill take golf anyday in this respect.
The bolded portion is pretty much the definition of bad variance. At this point I really have no reliable way to prove one way or the other whether you're a long term winner. However, I'd say that the fact that you've had 2 significant cashes and you've won 2 BB/100 over 7k hands of 5/10 tends to make me think that you are a winning player. My suggestion would be to take a little time off, then come back and try to grind up from .5/1 using proper bankroll guidelines. I'd say that if you can get back to 5/10 that way, then 1) You're definitely a winning player; and 2) You will have gained a ton of experience in the process.
This is really good advice. Thanks. Im gonna try taking some time off maybe read SSHE again and probably HOH if i have time. Im gonna try to stay away from playing for as long as I can but i don't know how long ill last as for the whole working my way back up to 5/10 its a really good idea and ill try it but its really gonna test my patience. but i guess ill give it a shot. Thanks everyone for the advice.