Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hans, boubie, I'm your white knight

holy shit, I can't stop listening to Run The Jewels 2

Bob Dylan.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So there's this song that plays on the radio at work everyday called Blood by In This Moment. I hate it. Then I saw a picture of the lead singer, and now they're my favorite band.

Maria-Brink2.jpg

• 1 month later...

the national with a new one in may. timing kind of sucks though because I'm usually not that depressed at the beginning of summer so I'm afraid I might not enjoy it as much as I should.

• 2 weeks later...

IF you guys aren't on that good kid, maad city, you are missing out. It's the best rap album i've heard in years.

By the way, this is sooo true. I finally listened to it again last week and it's been on repeat ever since. So good.

Yeah it's one of the best rap albums in recent years. He pretty much instantly became one of my favourite rappers.

Section.80, his "not major label" debut from last year is also worth listening to. Not as good as GKMC, but still excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

lol rap

Today I made it a point to actively listen to The Beach Boys album Pet Sounds from start to finish. I don't see how this is such an iconically revered record. The sound wasn't revolutionary in any way and certainly didn't influence a generation of pop music. I know I can't project myself into the era for context but I guess I just don't get it.

I really like the Beach Boys music.

I'm with you on pet sounds. don't care for it.

I came in here to send out a big "fuck you" to wang, mk, and dutch, even though I know none of them will see this. all of them put that spoon song "you got ur cherry bomb" on their greatest of whatever year it was mixes and I fucking hated that song. didn't look at spoon at all after that. until recently, of course, when I heard "I turn my camera on" on friday night lights. that song is awesome, and the whole album that it's on is just as awesome. I could have been listening to this shit the whole time but NO, those assholes had to use the worst god damn song in their whole collection to represent them. idiots.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been lurking in this forum for years, and I've lurked here a good amount. You know, not as much lately. Obviously. But I've taken quite a bit from this place. So I thought I might give a little mind-blowing stuff back, since I just had my mind blown.

You guys have heard Rounds by Four Tet, right? Okay, well it is one of my favorite albums. Love it. Genius.

I recently read an interview with Kieran Hebden (aka Four Tet), and he said:

"Nobody realizes it, but Rounds is made only from records. It’s all samples, except for the electric guitar on the last track. Everything else is from vinyl bought on the road. I probably sampled 300 records to make it. Pause is all samples. Everything’s Ecstatic is all samples. They all are. But no one has ever caught on to that."

Fuuuuck my mind is blown.

the new mikal cronin is the BAAAAALLS bro. listened to it the first time this morning and just now finished up listening to it the second time. might not seem like much but I only listen to music on the way to and from work. it's bad ass bro. bad ass.

so nick cave is Wang, right?

I dunno, I feel like I would have felt some hate by now.

EDIT: Hmm, you may be on to something!

I'm a huge Tigers homer

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, the new Kanye album is gonna be the hypest. His performance on SNL last week was incredible. The theme of his last album was indulgence, the theme of his album before that was sadness and stuff, and it seems like the theme of his new album is FUCK YOU.

Easily among the best SNL performances of all time.

And speaking to that FUCK YOU theme, I love that he still performed this verse, despite not being allowed to say 'fuck,' 'nigga,' or 'pussy.' He did a mediocre-to-poor job of censoring himself.

I throw these Maybach keys

I wear my heart on the sleeve

I know that we the new slaves

I see the blood on the leaves

They throwing hate at me

Want me to stay at ease

**** you and your corporation

Y'all niggas can't control me

I'm 'bout to wild the **** out

I'm going Bobby Boucher

I know that pussy ain't free

You niggas pussy, ain't me

Y'all throwing contracts at me

You know that niggas can't read

Throw 'em some Maybach keys

**** it, c'est la vie

Y'all niggas can't **** with me

Y'all niggas can't **** with Ye

Y'all niggas can't **** with Ye

I'll move my family out the country

So you can't see where I stay

So go and grab the reporters

So I can smash their recorders

See they'll confuse us with some bullshit

Like the New World Order

Meanwhile the DEA

Teamed up with the CCA

They tryna lock niggas up

They tryna make new slaves

See that's that privately owned prisons

Get your piece today

They prolly all in the Hamptons

Braggin' 'bout what they made

**** you and your Hampton house

I'll **** your Hampton spouse

Came on her Hampton blouse

And in her Hampton mouth

Y'all 'bout to turn shit up

I'm 'bout to tear shit down

I'm 'bout to air shit out

Now what the **** they gon' say now?

I don't know about best snl performances of all time (though really, have there ever been that many good ones?) but yeah, those were the best live rap performances I've ever seen. it's amazing how bad hip hop translates to live performance. those actually worked. maybe he's got a better voice than other rappers so it's easier to copy to a live performance? or maybe because it's more yelling than rapping? I don't know.

I'm looking forward to surfer blood's new album.

I don't know about best snl performances of all time (though really, have there ever been that many good ones?) but yeah, those were the best live rap performances I've ever seen. it's amazing how bad hip hop translates to live performance. those actually worked. maybe he's got a better voice than other rappers so it's easier to copy to a live performance? or maybe because it's more yelling than rapping? I don't know.

I'm looking forward to surfer blood's new album.

*Among.

He's been really bad live too though, on SNL even. He just killed it this time is all, I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaOkhAs6LMA

I really like this song on the album and I love that he's getting all artsy with it and trying out crazy shit that you don't expect from a rapper and it's kind of funny and kind of sweet, but he just screws it up, he's off tempo at times and playing these silly samples on his little machine and he hits them too much and it's just kinda bad except when he gets down at the end.

I guess he doesn't screw up the rapping and singing though. Well except that this time it's not as much fun when he has to censor himself in the first verse as in the other performance, this time it's just awkward.

I like A$ap. He's a bit hit and miss but occasionally drops a really stellar verse.

1Train is an amazing song. It features about 5 guys, including Kendrick, and they all have great verses. It also has A$ap's best verse, probably.

• 2 weeks later...