• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hans, boubie, I'm your white knight

holy shit, I can't stop listening to Run The Jewels 2

Bob Dylan.

are these from his new one? what's your opinion of it, on the whole?
They are. It's a good album, it's not mindblowing but it's probably gonna grow on me some. It's very cohesive, and most of the songs have live drums, which he's so good with. I'm not saying they're played live on the album, I dunno how producers do their thing, just that they sound live and full. Also, the album is a good length. Raekwon, I loved your last album, some of the best hip hop of the last decade but dude, give me like 14 good songs not 23 with 6-10 skip-tracks. Album of the Year is 12 tracks. Oh and I should mention that 'Album of the Year' refers to how the album follows Black Milk over the last year of his life, and all the major changes he went through. He explains all that in the first song. It's not about how great the album is gonna be, although it's probably a little tongue-in-cheek. Anyway, what the album needed to actually put it in contention for album of the year was a couple more really memorable beats, and maybe a couple more really strong guests like Royce and Elzhi. Elzhi's verse on Deadly Medley is the best verse on the album*. Milk's rhymes are actually pretty good (I think they've gotten better) and most of the songs focus on the drums anyway, but I dunno, it's missing a little something. But at the same time it is a very good album, very enjoyable. I'll upload it here tomorrow.*And I'm dyin to test ya,No denyin I'm applyin the pressureLike the iron I rely on that lie in the dresserRegardless of the 'heard it a million times' subject matter, that's some pretty filthy rhyming. Also,I'm worth payPockets go green like it was Earth DayThat's why I blow cake like it's my birthday
! if i could somehow guarantee they'd play peg with balls on mcdonald backup vocals i'd goand
Dude they did -
This was the show 2 nights before.They also played some interesting covers : Help Me Rhonda, Shakedown Street, Something in the Air (Thunderclap Newman) and Them Changes. Rockin show.Tempted to go see them at the Joint in LV on 10-2.
They are. It's a good album, it's not mindblowing but it's probably gonna grow on me some. It's very cohesive, and most of the songs have live drums, which he's so good with. I'm not saying they're played live on the album, I dunno how producers do their thing, just that they sound live and full. Also, the album is a good length. Raekwon, I loved your last album, some of the best hip hop of the last decade but dude, give me like 14 good songs not 23 with 6-10 skip-tracks. Album of the Year is 12 tracks. Oh and I should mention that 'Album of the Year' refers to how the album follows Black Milk over the last year of his life, and all the major changes he went through. He explains all that in the first song. It's not about how great the album is gonna be, although it's probably a little tongue-in-cheek. Anyway, what the album needed to actually put it in contention for album of the year was a couple more really memorable beats, and maybe a couple more really strong guests like Royce and Elzhi. Elzhi's verse on Deadly Medley is the best verse on the album*. Milk's rhymes are actually pretty good (I think they've gotten better) and most of the songs focus on the drums anyway, but I dunno, it's missing a little something. But at the same time it is a very good album, very enjoyable. I'll upload it here tomorrow.*And I'm dyin to test ya,No denyin I'm applyin the pressureLike the iron I rely on that lie in the dresserRegardless of the 'heard it a million times' subject matter, that's some pretty filthy rhyming. Also,I'm worth payPockets go green like it was Earth DayThat's why I blow cake like it's my birthday
I listened to it once today, and thought it was really well put together. I've been messing around with my crappy beats to try and emulate his drum sound. No idea how he does it.On a totally unrelated note, got the new Clapton as well. Pretty good stuff.

Common (the rapper) on J Dilla:"You gonna be able to mention him among the John Coltranes, and Radioheads, and Joni Mitchells. And J Dillas."I'm not just posting that for the Dilla-Radiohead linkage, but also because I thought it was a mildly amusing quote. Definitely didn't expect him to end on Joni Mitchell.

I don't watch TV, maybe this was played a lot, I don't knowhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaYsczkWti0I had never thought of it as a post-relationship song. it makes sense that they re-interpreted it that way for the video, but I had always assumed it was strictly re: death of a friend.boy is it fun to go hunting for music videos on youtube.

Been listening non stop to the new John Legend and Roots CD "Wake Up!"There's one original track, but the rest are all covers of some soul and R&B songs from the 60s and 70s. And actually just found out they're live streaming a concert with them on YouTube right now. Probably won't be going on by the time someone who's interested sees this, but just in case.http://www.youtube.com/johnlegendvevo?feature=ticker

but the rest are all covers of some soul and R&B songs from the 60s and 70s.
This got me interested, but left me disappointed. To be fair I only listened to one track. John Legend - Hard TimesvsBaby Huey - Hard TimesLegend has no edge, no danger, no real interest for me. It's basically very faithful to the original, but without the edge (also without the sick horns). Legend's version is way too nice and too clean, two things you don't usually want in a funk/soul number. The musicians don't let loose or rock out at all.
This got me interested, but left me disappointed. To be fair I only listened to one track. John Legend - Hard TimesvsBaby Huey - Hard TimesLegend has no edge, no danger, no real interest for me. It's basically very faithful to the original, but without the edge (also without the sick horns). Legend's version is way too nice and too clean, two things you don't usually want in a funk/soul number. The musicians don't let loose or rock out at all.
Listen to I can't Write Left Handed.Not sure how it compares to the Bill Wither's version, but it's my fave track on the album.
digging the new B&S. "I can see your future" is pure awesome.
[bARRY enters the store. He stops mid-step and cocks his ear at the music playing in the store. His face adopts an exaggerated grimace.]BARRY (CONT'D)Holy Shiite! What the fuck is this?DICKUm, it's the new Belle and Sebastian...ROBIt's the record we've been listening to and enjoying, Barry.[barry moves in on the stereo behind the counter, and Dick gets out of his way.]BARRYWell that's problematic because it SUCKS ASS.[He pops the CD out and frisbees it to Dick.]BARRY (CONT'D)(re: the CD)Yourrrrrrrrrrrs, I assume...

if anybody likes atmosphere, you should absolutely check out their new one. 4 songs in and I'm loving it. I don't give a rats ass what pitchfork says, I love the live band method. slug rules.

I've been listening to pretty much only elliott smith and wilco for the past two weeks, very little else, and I'm not even the least bit depressed. what sense does that make?

More Jazz for Lady Grey, New Orleans edition! Mostly contemporary stuff.Kermit Ruffins - Live At Vaughn's - 2007 - (Personal) highlights include 'Skokiaan,' 'Drop Me Off In New Orleans,' and 'If You Want Me To Stay.'Hot 8 Brass Band - Rock With The Hot 8 - 2007 - Major highlight is 'Sexual Healing,' but I love the whole album. I even recommended it awhile ago in here.Dirty Dozen Brass Band - Funeral For A Friend - 2004 - N.O. funeral music, really great. The Dirty Dozen are one of the premier brass bands of the last few decades, and were actually largely responsible for the resurgence of the genre. Highlights for me are 'Just A Closer Walk With Thee' (it kicks off halfway through), 'Jesus On The Mainline,' and 'I'll Fly Away.' James Booker - Spiders On The Keys - Solo live piano, late 1970s. Highlights include pretty much the entire thing, but particularly 'Papa Was A Rascal' and 'Eleanor Rigby.' Thanks again to Dutch for introducing me to him, he's truly amazing.

• 3 weeks later...
They played it live last night at the Beacon in NYC...don't remember the cable channel.Elton back to early 70's. Sounds great. The first song is the best IMO.

Grandchildren-Cold WarriorKind of Talking Heads and Arcade Fire like. I like it, not love it, but haven't spent that much time with it.Fitz & the Tantrums-Pickin' Up the PiecesBlue eyed soul, reminds me a little of Hall and Oates IN THE BEST POSSIBLE WAY. This album has earwormed its way into my dark, cold heart and I love love love it. Now I'm looking for pointers--my real life is good, with some definite streaks of busy and stress, and one dying loved one, and aging relative, etc. I want more up beat happy music (although still a little dark and angry and dissonant). Anything new pop into your head? AND I'm a little surprised at all of you for not starting up the Album of the Year discussions yet? For me, it's gotta be Big Boi. The album is so great, and dirty, and confident, and every damn thing that I think is cool. I came into the **** Buttons-Tarot Sport this year, and keep coming back to it.