saw the 2005 results thread.....good story.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You compromised your integrity for $7475.00, I guess that's cheap enough. Of course this matter has been rationalized "since it's Party Poker"
I again say that it is a complete exaggeration to say that one decision in a situation as odd as this one can equal a complete compromise of my integrity.Whatever indeed.

I'm not saying whether I would or wouldn't take the money because honestly, I don't know. I would like to think that I would send it back but it is a lot of money and I would know that I am doing nothing wrong. However.....what I do know is that I wouldn't go onto a poker forum and tell everyone how sweet it was that this happened to me and that I stuck it to PP. I would be pretty embarassed myself and would tell no one.

no my job involves putting people to sleep and waking them up after surgery.
sounds very fullfilling.EDIT: i just realized you are a male nurse.
he is not a nurse he is a anesthesiologist and they get paid very well, but then again so do nurses
I'm not saying whether I would or wouldn't take the money because honestly, I don't know. I would like to think that I would send it back but it is a lot of money and I would know that I am doing nothing wrong. However.....what I do know is that I wouldn't go onto a poker forum and tell everyone how sweet it was that this happened to me and that I stuck it to PP. I would be pretty embarassed myself and would tell no one.
I have been very forthcoming in saying that I am not embarrassed. I think this is a poker related forum and this is a poker related story. A very interesting story too. I can handle people saying I was wrong to do this. And I definitely dont mind telling everyone how I stuck it to party poker.
Question to the OP:Dou you think that if you didn't cash the check and still played on Party Poker that you would make more $ over time by playing poker?
I suppose this is possible and this is definitely a very good question. To be honest, I had a very very bad run on Party leading up to getting this check and that may have influenced my decision. I know everyone says the players on Party flat out stink but I have done better on Full Tilt since I made the switch. Probably just in a better frame of mind....who knows.
no my job involves putting people to sleep and waking them up after surgery.
sounds very fullfilling.EDIT: i just realized you are a male nurse.
he is not a nurse he is a anesthesiologist and they get paid very well, but then again so do nurses
He is a nurse anesthetist, a nurse with advanced certification. All nurses deserve more money for the work they do.And let's lay off Zwall. He apologized. End it.

anyone that has to hang out with old or dying people all day deserves to get paid for it. Hospitals are depressing places.I would have taken the money in a heart beat. But only because Party Poker added blackjack and took all the degenerates money out of my pocket.

anyone that has to hang out with old or dying people all day deserves to get paid for it. Hospitals are depressing places.I would have taken the money in a heart beat. But only because Party Poker added blackjack and took all the degenerates money out of my pocket.
St8 cash homie, nhbtw hospitals are rigged
Question to the OP:Dou you think that if you didn't cash the check and still played on Party Poker that you would make more $ over time by playing poker?
I suppose this is possible and this is definitely a very good question. To be honest, I had a very very bad run on Party leading up to getting this check and that may have influenced my decision. I know everyone says the players on Party flat out stink but I have done better on Full Tilt since I made the switch. Probably just in a better frame of mind....who knows.
that was a good question. if party sent me as big of a check as they sent you i would cash it and never play there again. but if it was only for a couple hundred i would give it back so i could continue to play on party.
Wow. Got some names of people to never, ever trust.
nah you can trust me. you can trust that if you go out of your way to send me a check with my name on it that I will cash it.

Well, no one will be able to agree about this topic. I would take the check. As far as ethics being involved, yeah maybe. It is situational ethics though. Maybe it is not my place to say that PartyPoker is evil as it is my primary place of play. But to think that they are ethical themselves is foolish. They take advantage of addicts, and use the system to their advantage as much as possible. Does this mean that they are 'stealing money from the bad players' then? Although it is completely off topic, consider this question.."If you could travel back in time and murder Adolf Hitler before WWII; would you. While it is wrong to murder someone, it is ultimately for the greater good right? And while the greater good may not be this player himself obtaining 7K for himself, but in the fact that he considers himself a luckbox and will likely donate a portion of it back to the poker community. So....we all win. Just my 2 cents.And as far as DN not taking advantage of people's honest mistakes, I have one thing to say: sleeping props.

Thank you for the story Cane. I told my story a while ago of how Party ripped me off, so it's great to hear that you got my money back, with interest! Like you, I didn't really need the $650 that was missing from my account, but the fact that they admitted that someone broke into my account and spent my money, but hid behind foreign laws to avoid giving it back really pissed me off.If I got that check, I would have cashed it, withdrawn whatever was left of my account, waited for them both to clear, then emailed them to thank them for the check. They got what they deserved. The only concern I have is they may have told the other guy that they sent his check, it was cashed, and they are governed by the laws of Gibraltar and don't have to send another check.

People who say I was wrong to take the money I can respect. You are just a schmuck. You dont go to jail for cashing a check with your name on it. If in the unlikely event PartyPoker pursued legal action against me, it would be a civil matter not a criminal one.Who lets these clowns in here???
I am not sure what I would have done in your situation. After reading this post, though, I am thinking that at the very least you probably should have kept the story to yourself. While cashing the check may have been gray area for criminal prosecution, I would worry that the subsequent phone call with the P.P. representative might demonstrate an intent to defraud. For civil liability, I also wonder if that phone call opens you up to punitive damages; which might make filing suit worthwhile. It seems like you are relying on the lack of motivation for P.P. to pursue any action, rather than being 100% in the clear. I would be sure that you aren't missing that distinction. Regardless of the type of legal action, you made it pretty evident in your post that you knew the money was not yours, and you just blew attorney-client privilege regarding that fact. Good luck.

Yeah, I will be emailing partypoker and notifying them of this thread. I am sure they can narrow it down to who you are. Just kidding. Unless there is a reward....hmmm... On second thought, I jusy had pocket kings against my opponents pocket aces for the second time in the last hour. Screw PP.

i would have NOT cashed the check...ya, partypoker made a mistake, dosent make what u did right...somebody probably got fired over this...i believe in karma, but thats just me.
karma doesnt really apply here. The only way I see karma in this is karma for party poker fuking so many people over. The person that got fired was gonna get fired regardless. I dont understand people saying "its not right" ..is it wrong then? accoording to you guys? I wouldnt say theres a right or wrong thing, Id say theres definately a smart or dumb thing though. (smart and dumb can change depending your situation, ie. you make 20k a month playing poker, you have Rake back and it pays a lot. If you stop playing on party you might cut your monthly earnings down to 15k a month. THEN It might be smart to send the check back and not risk getting your acct terminated)Im sure you've all had this happen at some point or another, and I want to see what your opinions are on this:you go to Wal-Mart (evil evil evil) you decide to buy a digital camera, you pick the good sony cam thats 600 bucks. The wal mart employee grabs the box from under the counter shows it to you and says "is this the camera you wanted" you see it and it is and he tells you that you can pay for it at the cashier. He goes his way and you go to the cashier. You hand her the box and take out your credit card, as she rings it up you see the words on the little cashier screen say "cannon x83 dgt cam $299.99". You know it's got the wrong tag, you know nobody will know and theyll just mark it off as sold in their inventory. Do you think to yourself "sweet I get it half price cuz someone fcked up with the bar codes" or "I cant accept that, everyone has to pay 600, Ill pay 600. Its unethical to screw Wal-Mart for $300" ?????? if you say the latter. You are lying.
im just giving my opinion on the situation and what I would do...im not judging any1...if i went to wal mart and that happened to me, i wouldve notified the teller...as far as the bolded sentence goes, i dont think u have the right to speak for someone else...[/b]
Yeah, I will be emailing partypoker and notifying them of this thread. I am sure they can narrow it down to who you are. Just kidding. Unless there is a reward....hmmm... On second thought, I jusy had pocket kings against my opponents pocket aces for the second time in the last hour. Screw PP.
even if you werent joking, doesnt matter. there is nothing party poker can do.
People who say I was wrong to take the money I can respect.  You are just a schmuck.  You dont go to jail for cashing a check with your name on it.  If in the unlikely event PartyPoker pursued legal action against me, it would be a civil matter not a criminal one.Who lets these clowns in here???
I am not sure what I would have done in your situation. After reading this post, though, I am thinking that at the very least you probably should have kept the story to yourself. While cashing the check may have been gray area for criminal prosecution, I would worry that the subsequent phone call with the P.P. representative might demonstrate an intent to defraud. For civil liability, I also wonder if that phone call opens you up to punitive damages; which might make filing suit worthwhile. It seems like you are relying on the lack of motivation for P.P. to pursue any action, rather than being 100% in the clear. I would be sure that you aren't missing that distinction. Regardless of the type of legal action, you made it pretty evident in your post that you knew the money was not yours, and you just blew attorney-client privilege regarding that fact. Good luck.
you missed the part about them confiscating my money as well. I was assured by a lawyer who I trust that I am definitely in the clear. it has been a long time since I got the check and they havent done a thing. I feel safe sharing the story now and I felt it was forum worthy. Worst case scenario is someday way down the road I have to pay them back 7000 bucks and I could afford it if need be so what is the harm?? you didnt relaly think this all the way through.

I would have definately cashed that check after reading the article about how they make so much money a day off blackjack alone. Its sick how much they make and when they make a mistake they just expect someone to fess up. Woulndt happen with me...

you missed the part about them confiscating my money as well.  I was assured by a lawyer who I trust that I am definitely in the clear.  it has been a long time since I got the check and they havent done a thing.  I feel safe sharing the story now and I felt it was forum worthy.   Worst case scenario is someday way down the road I have to pay them back 7000 bucks and I could afford it if need be so what is the harm??  you didnt relaly think this all the way through.
I felt like I did think things through. But, you know this is a web posting forum. So, no, I did not spend a lot of time on it. Before I go any further, let me say that I am not a criminal attorney, nor a commercial litigator. Additionally, I was not/am not trying to provide legal advice, and you are not a client. Through my replies I am just trying to share some lay observations.It sounded like you were taking your attorney's advice (that there was little likelihood of criminal and/or civil activity) and interpreting it to mean that you were not culpable/liable and free to share your story. Because of that, I also was trying to point out that if you did not disclose the telephone conversation with P.P. to your attorney, he was missing the fact that you may have made the false representation of not having cashed the check. That fact might change the attorney's opinion.I do think the story was forum worthy. I got a kick out of it. However, I also think it would have been a good idea to at least let the statute of limitations run before posting it because of the content. However, you seem to feel pretty confident about your position. So, more power to you...I really hate P.P. The part about P.P. confiscating your money did impact the telephone conversation y0u had. However, it wasn't relevant to how comfortable you should be about your criminal/civil exposure.