interesting article regarding dn's christmas blog

http://www.boston.com/news/education/k_12/...day_traditions/This is an enormous story around the boston area. If you don't want to read it i will tell you that they want to call a christams tree a "magical tree". They also had a school play and in it they were nto allowed to sing we wish you a merry christmas, but were forced to sing, "we wish you a swinging holiday". This is the craziest thing i have ever heard. There is too much PC in this country and it is really starting to get to me. So i completely agree with what you said Daniel.

Not so much PC, but a rule by minority rather than majority. To be honest I am not very religious, but I don't mind them instilling the morals into my kids. My son is 3 and he is in daycare, I was surprised they had a regular christmas progam. I am happy that they did. I want my kid to know songs about christmas, I want him to know what Christmas is about.Even if you aren't religious the idea behind Christmas is important. It is the idea of giving. So, no matter what religion or non religion, being a giving person is important. Helping others is very important.We need to start making the minority having thicker skin. I am talking from the minority also. I am a person with no religion. I am pretty unsure of what I am, I may be agnostic, but I embrace the church, just because of the good things they do. I don't want this country to become a bunch of babies, words are words. Sure there are words that hurt, but the intent is where the words have effects. If you call a person a profane with intention, that is wrong, when you wish somebody merry Christmas, your intent is to be kind.When kids sing Christmas songs enjoy the sound, enjoy their excitement. Also, the christmas tree is a mascot of Christmas. The problem others have with it, is the religion behind what it stands for. A Christmas tree does not have anything more to do with Christmas then a 4 leave clover has to do with St. Patricks day or a heart with Valentines day. That is just assinine.

What do we do if somebody sneezes now? Don't say bless your or gesundheit. Just say, "Hey nice sneeze."Anyway, I kind of thought PC was going by the way side. I mean you hear things here and there from small little tid bits in the paper. I remember when I was in high school prayer was a big thing. Prayer at graduation was the main thing. Why you would need to pray at graduation is beyond me. I mean I didn't really care one way or the other if we did pray, but why. I guess why not. I haven't heard about prayer in school for a long time. I know here in South Dakota there are quite a few students who meet before school to hold a prayer. That is cool that kids are devoted at that age. Like I have said, I am not religious either. I just like to see kids that take intiative themselves.

Wow. I thought nothing would top "freedom" fries and "freedom" toast. I was so very wrong. The absurdity is hilarious. If nothing else, it'll make a great piece on The Daily Show.I hope you are all having a Merry Christmas!

While I agree that the whole holiday tree etc. is beyond stupid, I do think Bart Simpson was on the money when he said, "Christmas is a time when people of all religions come together to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ."I wonder if it would bother Christians if all public schools arranged a Hanukah pageant next year instead of Christmas next year. Or perhaps the schools could run some kind of Ede (sp?) pageant.(also, not that it matters much, but 'God' doesn't appear in the Constitution, Daniel must have meant the Declaration of Independence.)

We need to start making the minority having thicker skin.
Actually, I think we need to start making everyone realize there's nothing wrong with being offended.
Actually, I think we need to start making everyone realize there's nothing wrong with being offended.
**************************************HEAR, HEAR!!!! 8) Smartest thing said on this forum in a while......ok...since I was here reading anyways...I mean, I don't want to offend anyone...wait...that's ok now right??!! :club: Really, are we just a world full of pu$$ies these days or what?? :evil: The only thing that offends me are people that are serious about any kind of hate, and that being said, I just have to laugh at their ignorance...they have their opinion and it IS a free world...at least most of our half is !! :oops: Anyways, very VERY good point!!!
This is so absurd it's hard to read. If we changed words because they came from religion, then saying "Good Bye," should be considered innnaproppriate sometime soon. After all, Good bye came from, "God be with you."
And Holiday is from Holy Day. So really they changed "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" to "We Wish You a Swinging Holy Day".People do tend to get carried away with things, don't they??

I got a good one for you guys...I heard a few months back of a town in rural Alabama that wanted to change the way people answered their phones.Because the word "Hello" contained "hell", they demanded that the greeting be changed to "Heaveno". Go ahead and laugh. I wish I was kidding.Realistically though, I don't think I could make this stuff up if I tried.

'We wish you a swinging holiday!!!'I am OFFENDED. DEEPLY offended, I tell you.As a proponent of strict monogamy, I am shocked that our public schools are preaching a gospel of loose sexual mores.Heh, heh.And yes, the use of the phrase 'preaching a gospel' was fully intended.

The Christians have this country wrapped up in a bow (see: the White House) and they are still sweating this stuff? I don't get it. You think the word "Christmas" is in jeopardy? Walk into the mall circa-Sept. 30th. The world would be 100% a better place if people believed what they believed and respected what others believed. Or if they valued life and reality over what boils down to assumption.

heaveno.....WTF Im seriously laughing out loud...that is the most absurd thing ive ever heard.We wish you a swinging holiday.....HAHAHA....as said before...are we teaching our kids that being loose and permiscuous is OK...and the word HOLIDAY HOLY DAY....OMG i cant have my childs ears tarnished with these thoughts. give me a f'ing break...Its Christmas....its a F'ing Christmas tree....if you don't like it...dont buy one...don't take the day off from work...whatever...Backward ass country retards are what makes america such a laugh to other cultures.

It's been several weeks since I had a chance to catch up on Daniel's Poker Journal, so I'm responding to this topic rather late. The part I found most interesting was:

I'm not one for political correctness in most areas. Whether it be racial profiling at the airports (which I am for to some degree) or taking the word God out of the constitution.
Daniel, assuming you're talking about the U.S. constitution, the word "God" can't be taken out of the constitution, as it was never there in the first place. Perhaps you meant the Pledge of Allegiance? If so, you should know that the phrase "under God" was not inserted into the pledge until the Red Scare of the 1950s. I share the distaste for political correctness, but there's something to be said for being correct. :club:

we had the same problem in Toronto where they changed the christmas tree into the holiday tree what a joke. An older guy I know very well off walks into a store drops about a 2 gees on gifts turns to the employee says merry christmas employee responds happy holidays he takes everything out of the bags and says I want to return everything. I shiiit you not this guy is a man of principal so he says if people are offended with merry christmas Iam offended with happy holidays.