4-colour deck, yes or no?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried it a long time ago, and hated it. About 8 months ago, I miss-read a flush, and lost a huge pot that I thought I had won while multi-tabling. After going through the hand history to see WTF happened, I decided to try 4-colour again. It was VERY disorienting for a while. After a few hours, it felt 100% natural. It felt weird for the first 10 mins of every session for about 10 sessions. After that, I completely forgot I was using it. I have never mis-read a flush since. If you try it, commit to playing 5 or more hours with it before forming an opinion. I think just about everyone who plays a lot online will end up loving it.
Maybe I should try it again. I tried it once and hated it, but never really gave it much of a shot. But what about the times when it helps not to clearly see the flush cards. Like when someone tries to make a big bluff bet at the flush and you didn't even see the possiblity so you called a big bet and won. Or the times when you thought you had a flush and bet it but really didn't and made a better hand fold. :wink:
Stick to the OLD SCHOOL....Ask any pro about a four color deck and trust me they will just sit back and laugh. :roll:
I play harmonica...or more accurately "blues harp". The traditionalists swear by the hohner "Marine Band"...designed in the late 1800s and essentially unchanged since then. The comb is made of wood, swells, distorts, abrades the lips. Old-school pros swear the sound is better. Funny thing though. In blind tests, nobody can tell the a difference in the sound. The young breed of players are using plastic-combed models like the Special 20 or the Lee Oscar. Consistent, comfortable, and great sound. Some of them are doing things NOBODY was doing on Marine Bands in the '50s. Ask an old-school pro about plastic-combed blues harps, and they will just sit back and laugh. I'm just sayin'...
Stick to the OLD SCHOOL....Ask any pro about a four color deck and trust me they will just sit back and laugh. :roll:
I play harmonica...or more accurately "blues harp". The traditionalists swear by the hohner "Marine Band"...designed in the late 1800s and essentially unchanged since then. The comb is made of wood, swells, distorts, abrades the lips. Old-school pros swear the sound is better. Funny thing though. In blind tests, nobody can tell the a difference in the sound. The young breed of players are using plastic-combed models like the Special 20 or the Lee Oscar. Consistent, comfortable, and great sound. Some of them are doing things NOBODY was doing on Marine Bands in the '50s. Ask an old-school pro about plastic-combed blues harps, and they will just sit back and laugh. I'm just sayin'...
You know, I was all-set to flame you for your irrelevant post, then you brought it all home in that last sentence. Well done. You make a compelling argument.But I still hate 4 color decks...

I like the 4 color deck. I suck with the traditional deck or the 4 color deck, and I use both online depending on my mood, so it doesn't really matter which deck I use... I still suck.

Definitely four color. It just makes things easier when multitabling, especially any stud. The worst problem I've had with four colors was playing a bridge game with a friend with poor eyesight. He has his own four color deck, but in his deck the diamonds were green and the clubs blue. I made lots of incorrect bids that night!So:1. Yes, I'm a dork.2. The colorization needs to become a standard everywhere! :club:

Definitely four color. It just makes things easier when multitabling, especially any stud. The worst problem I've had with four colors was playing a bridge game with a friend with poor eyesight. He has his own four color deck, but in his deck the diamonds were green and the clubs blue. I made lots of incorrect bids that night!So:1. Yes, I'm a dork.2. The colorization needs to become a standard everywhere! :club:
You multi-table stud? How? 7card stud? really? Too many questions?
You multi-table stud? How? 7card stud? really? Too many questions?
No, right now I'm trying to pick up stud hi/lo, so I do 2 hold 'em tables and one stud table. So far, even that amount is trying. But when mixing between the two, having four colors just makes things easier. And I remember better, or at least, closer, the folded cards when they are four color.

If they used it in live poker I'd use it online. I worry that if I used it online that I'd get used to it and start misreading suits in live poker.

If they used it in live poker I'd use it online. I worry that if I used it online that I'd get used to it and start missing reading suits in live poker.
If they ever start using it in live poker, I'll go back to checkers.Only 2 colors there. :-)

Maybe it takes some time to get use to, but I hate 4 colors. However, when multitabling I sometimes think I have suited hands when I don't. So maybe I should start.

Its really not that hard to differentiate a club from a spade, or a diamond from a heart. I see no use for the four color decks. They actually mess me up because I'm not used to seeing green or blue suits. I like the traditional two colors.