daniel can't catch a break ----he's out!!!!

Yep I agree all those hands would be callable but the other flush hands it is still a tough call w/ someone re-raising you for all your chips w/out any other outs... Once again of course it was risky but if he thought Paul had as strong of a hand as he did he probably would have folded but just about every other hand he could have either taken the pot or been in a good drawing spot

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very unfortunate that he ran into top set...And you're absolutely right, it wasn't a terrible play at all... However, when you likely possess the best skill at the table, risking your entire game on a draw early in the tournament is a little reckless... You should avoid putting yourself in such tough situations...

Alot of top tourney players agree it is in your best interest to try to get a stack early I'm sure that's what he was trying to do, if he was and was trying to play it safe he obviously wouldn't have done that. I'm not going to try to speak for DN and tell you the reasoning but if he decided he wanted to play the hand after that flop then there was no other play

Daniel's post flop play makes sense, no doubt...Just a very unfortunate hand...Avoiding open-raising with 7/8 suited would have been the only way to get away from this one...
Yeah don't mix it up at a table with The Grinder, Paul Phillip, and John Phan. Come on... DN likes to be active, like to splash around and is very confident in his post-flop play. This is exactly the type of hand he likes playing early on in tournaments, where stacks are deep,I am wondering DN's take on the same hand, out in a 100 dollar MTT online instead of a 10k WSOPC event. There would be less of a chance that the opponent would be able to fold many of the hands that PP definitely would've folded....

Most hands fold to DN's bet here. Phillips called from the button, so he is way less than 50-50 to have a ragged two pair. J-10, 10-9 are much better possibilities, and Paul folds those hands to DN's reraise all in if that's the case.DN got all his money in the middle in a good spot, but was unlucky because Paul had the nuts when the push happened.

I just think it's really funny watching these guys who for the most part play 1-2nL at the very most make these posts that make no sense. I assume it's becuase they wouldn't lay down certain hands if a player raises you all in. A good player though doesn't call w/ anything less than a set or MAYBE a big pair (AA or KK) so in that case DN's play was perfect.... also saying "why take a risk like that early in the tourney" doesn't make sense, if a good player has a 2-1 chip advantage on the rest of his table he then has a HUGE advantage (granted in this situation most of the table was pros)  Oh one more thing, i love the "KT has you crushed".... before we make stupid comments like this at least use the odds calculator if you can't figure them out yourself
No offense, but you may want to run the odds calculator for yourself. Use AdTd QdTd and see what DN's odds were. The only problem I had with DN's post that said he was a 3 to 2 dog at worst. That is not the case. He nearly a 4 to 1 dog at worst pending a crazy call by PP with Td6d.I do not think it is a horrible play. It's just a risky one early in the tourney because of the obvious....PP could have a set....especially the way he played it. Yes it is possible that he was trying to push DN out of the hand. But, unlikely in this situation.DN is awesome. We all know that.But, we also know that DN is human and makes mistakes just like every single poker player in the world. That is why this game is so awesome.It is like golf. You can never be the greatest for too long and it will always challenge you.I think it is time to stop the posts.We have said all that needs to be said.
If he had K-10 I would actually have been a 55% favorite.  Against the hand he did have, trip 10's, I was 61-39 underdog.
Not if that K and 10 happened to be diamonds. That's the nightmare hand - steals one of the straight outs and all of the diamond outs.Of course when that happens you are destined to lose a big hand. Monsters under the bed and all...
If he had K-10 I would actually have been a 55% favorite.  Against the hand he did have, trip 10's, I was 61-39 underdog.  There was already money in the pot.  By moving him all in on the flop I get him off of a pair of 10's most likely, and if he calls it's not the end of the world.  Other than Phil Hellmuth, I don't know of a winning player that wouldn't want to get all of their money into the pot with an open ended straight and flush draw.  It's a dream semi-bluff hand that should be played aggressively.
really so people like getting there money into a pot as underdog. Isn't the point to go all in as the favorite let the other person suck out on you. YOu are vice versa and when he re rasied you to a 1,000 you would think that owuld tell you something. K-10 re rasie i don't think so. At minimum he had a higher flush draw. Well that would explain the downward spiral of your play. Getting your money in at most bneing a 55-45 favorite. That would be the best situation for you. 55-45. Thats the best you could hope for. LOL
Dan knows what he is doing.  He makes his decision and lives or dies by it.  He makes his living by those decisions, so he must be making more good ones than bad.
wrong he makes his living off of other things beside poker. IF it was just poker he would be in a lot of trouble.
No one said "KT has you crushed"...  Please stop the lying.
No. I did.But I actually said Kd Td. Which would have him crushed by about 3-1. Lpyle04 decided to ignore the suits either because he can't play poker and doesn't know that suits matter, or because he just likes making stuff up to pad his arguments, or I guess because he can't read.

Ok the reason i didn't see that you said of diamonds is that DN didn't say that when he referred to the KT, you were adding in parts of the hand and then trying to tell him he was wrong. Do you really think he doesn't know if it was of diamonds he was a huge underdog... what the hell do you people think you are telling him by saying stupid things like that. The fact is most players won't call preflop w/ a KTd in a raised pot and if he did it is still a VERY tough call to make for 7500 more chips if you think your oponnent has a made hand and your drawing. The reason i answered this post in the first place was to try and explain the reasoning behind his actions, not to get into some stupid argument about all the hands that could have been dominating him. Obviously there is no way DN can always respond to every stupid situation everyone comes up with about what people could have so I thought i might give a response that i believe he would agree w/ from his previous post.The fact is it doesn't really matter what they could have, there are very few starting hands that he could have called an early position raiser with and felt confident putting the rest of his stack in. DN got unlucky and ran into one of them. Like i said before, he obviously wanted to play this hand to the river and if that was his intentions there is ABSOLUTLY no other reasonable play.Let's take what alot of you people think is the correct move and call. Now what if he misses, what to do then. according to your passive aproach just check and then when PP bets 3K you will have to fold or raise all in becuase once again it makes no since to put that many chips in and leave yourself shortstacked on a hand like this.This is one of the most stupid conversations I have ever been a part of because I know about %20 of the poeple reading this actually understand what I'm talking about and the other %80 just have read that you shouldn't put your money in on a draw so they don't understand this reasoning at all. Welcome to the world of professional tournement poker folks, it's about aggression and that is the #1 reason DN was player of the year last year. Plays like this got him there becuase without a set or some giant draw (which would be tough to have becuase of the cards DN had) no player would call his bet.I am done discussing this becuase if you don't understand after this post there just really is no hope getting through to you.

As for me, I lost 10,000 on the following hand:  I raised to 250 with 7d 8d from late position.  John Phan called, Paul Phillips called on the button, and the Grinder called from the big blind.    The flop came 5d 9d 10h.  I bet out 500, John Phan called, and Paul Phillips made it 2000.  He had 7750 more so I put it all in.  John folded and Paul called which left me with 1400.  Paul had pocket tens and the turn came a 5...
$1500 seems like a great price just to call there - you're not risking your whole tourney if you miss or the board pairs, mucho implied odds if you hit. why move in? because phan was still in the hand?
You move all in because you could get Paul off of a pair of tens. If Paul has a hand like K-10, he would likely fold in that spot. Also, the worst my hand could be against any hand is about a 3-2 underdog.
Don't want to sound like an idiot, but if you're sitting on a nice gutshot straightflush draw, wouldn't you WANT him in the pot, and not out of it?
If he had K-10 I would actually have been a 55% favorite.  Against the hand he did have, trip 10's, I was 61-39 underdog.  There was already money in the pot.  By moving him all in on the flop I get him off of a pair of 10's most likely, and if he calls it's not the end of the world.  Other than Phil Hellmuth, I don't know of a winning player that wouldn't want to get all of their money into the pot with an open ended straight and flush draw.  It's a dream semi-bluff hand that should be played aggressively.
really so people like getting there money into a pot as underdog. Isn't the point to go all in as the favorite let the other person suck out on you. YOu are vice versa and when he re rasied you to a 1,000 you would think that owuld tell you something. K-10 re rasie i don't think so. At minimum he had a higher flush draw. Well that would explain the downward spiral of your play. Getting your money in at most bneing a 55-45 favorite. That would be the best situation for you. 55-45. Thats the best you could hope for. LOL
If you're a dog, the amount of money in the pot, as well as the bet to you, BOTH have a huge effect on your decision. If you're an underdog, you can easily call if you're getting the right odds to call (well actually not EASILY in all spots).

DN, tought break man. So, you say that most players would put their chips in there, especially if you are the one doing the raising, to possibly take it down right there....MY question to you or any other FCPer is do you call yourself to be all in there??I know it sounds ridiculous but I've been in spots where the pot is 500 or so and the other person just moves in for 3k when my stack is 3.5k or so. I checked the flop with the intentions of check raising all in on a semi bluff but the person just moved in.....do you call in that spot??? (the cards were very similar to the hand that DN busted)I understand how crazy of an overbet it is, but some players online are crazy. I know that maybe just moving in is a better play but work with the example given.thanks for any helpPS- that paul phillips is a tricky dick. In his blog and all over the web all you ever see is him re-raising with monster hands and getting paid off. I bet he pulls off a couple of doozies here and there.

nobody has thought to mention that with paul there is a good chance he is also on a draw, and i think it was the only play DN had, if he doubles up there he can start knocking the table around.... IMHO only

Where the hell did you come up w/ that..... if your on a DRAW you don't have the best hand therefore if you can somehow make the other players fold you win.I believe you are thinking in a multiway pot. If say there were 4 players in and the flop came like it did DN would probably just check (not trying to act like i know, just my guess) thinking someone is going to bet but w/ around 1k in the pot (DN raised 250, 4 ways=1k) it would be a smaller bet, say around 600-800. In this case he would just call hoping to get more callers and building the pot therefore giving him better odds on his money. Heads up on the other hand he doesn't have correct odds on his money, in fact I'm fairly sure that is exactly why he bet 500. He was hoping the PP just called (or folded), he was trying to buy himself a cheap card but when PP ended up raising it forced DN to make a decision and the last thing he would want to do is call becuase then if he misses and checks there is almost no bet PP would make that would allow DN to call and see the last card, he would be forced to fold. On the other hand DN probably thought w/ a low flop and PP calling the preflop raise PP had a hand like JT or AT, if PP would have had one of those hands DN's all-in would have forced PP out of the pot and he would take it down there without making the best hand.to leafen: yes I have mentioned he could be on a draw, i explained exactly what PP could have and really the only reasonable hand he could have called the bet w/ was a set... once again this is the reason he made the playCaptainHooks: IMO DN would have folded if PP put him all in... that is a very different situation, he may still have called thinking he was at worst 3-2 to win the pot but this is where pot odds and the size of your stacks come into play and DN really didn't have the right of either of those to call an all in. He may disagree but I would say no on the call

Actually the point is to accumulate chips in order to win the tournament. You sound like a real weak tight player that bubbles a lot.Good luck though

I love the part of teachers post where the isn't correct at all.... also where he things just becuase he raised DN on "a higher flush draw" he will then call an all in. Obviously DN knew he didn't have the best hand at the time, i don't know why poeple are explaining that to him. It's like they think the figured out something that maybe he didn't realize

lol this is funny to watch! You guys are taking this too seriously. It's a tough play with it being paul phillips raising, as he can play with the best of them.Go big or go home, i like to think that was the plan. Calling doesnt give him a chance to make phillips fold (as PP could be raising with, say AQ diamonds, or JJ, just to find out if daniel actually has a hand and to take the lead on a safe flop). The reraise all in indicates (to me) , a set, possibly 10 9 or possibly AK diamonds, or maybe AA/KK. There are plenty of hands PP can fold here, pushing 7K more seems like the appropiate move. this stuff reminds me when Tiger doesnt win an event in a few months, everyone screams SLUMP!!! You can't be on top forever, especially with that lovely lady named Variance...better luck next event.

I love how people on this forum are so egotistical, that they can critique and question one of (if not the) best no limit holdem tournament players alive. I can't believe the nerve of people.Good Luck.