any sport cards collectors out there????

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I collect 1908 T206 baseball cards. That is the set of tobacco cards that contains the Honus Wagner card that sells every couple of years for over $1 Million. I don't have any of the really rare cards, but I do have a couple of Hall of Famers that are worth a couple hundred. I really want to get a Ty Cobb or Cy Young as an investment. I plan on selling them some time after 2008, when they are over 100 years old.

Nice timing of this thread....just yesterday I got my 4 boxes of 05/06 Upper Deck hockey. Looking for the Crosby rookie...they're going for over $100 on eBay. I build the Upper Deck hockey set each year and hope to death I get the Crosby in a pack because I can't afford to spend $100 on one card.

Wow, I thought collecting sports cards was dead. My parents use to own a sports card shop and I collected as a kid. Needless to say I have a tonne of cards and there is a lot of inventory left from the store (all pre 2000).

I used to collect. I have some beauties too. Dan Marino rookie card of course. A bunch of barry bonds rookie cards. Plus the crown jewel, a Michael Jordan rookie card in mint condition.they are all stored safely in a safe deposit box. I dont even know how much any of them are worth anymore. I have some other beauties too but I have no desire to collect again. That time has past.

About a year ago I was going through a box of my Mom's old stuff from her childhood and came across a ton of baseball cards. Here were just a few of them:Reggie Jackson rookie cardWillie Mays rookie cardJohnny Bench rookie cardbaseball signed by the 1968 World Champion Detroit TigersMost were in pretty good shape. Might just take them to a card shop and see what they are worth...or better yet what they would give me for them.

Wow, I thought collecting sports cards was dead.
not dead, just 80% of it has moved to ebay so local hobby shops have been having a hard time for the last several years now.i've been a full time sportscard dealer since 1990 at shows (up to 43/year in the '90s), then since 98 shifting more to ebay. still do ~15 shows/year.hockey is killer right now. everything is skyrocketing because of crosby/ovechkin. conversely this may be the worst year *ever* for NFL due to lack of hot rookies. most products are below cost.got bad news for you snicker. there are 41 short-printed rookies in upper deck series 1 NHL and they are only 6 per box. you only have about a 58% chance of pulling a crosby in 4 boxes :club: plus ovechkin's rookie card isn't even in there - it'll be in series 2.
what's funny is earlier this year upper deck had plans to do a poker sportscard set with autographs, WSOP-used chips etc randomly inserted, but they scrapped it at the last minute due to lack of dealer orders.
I wondered about when that would be out. You'd think it would be a big hit. The market is way too saturated with cards. I remember when all you could get for baseball cards was Topps, Fller and Leaf. All were under $1 a pack. Now there are a ton of vendors and most retail at $3-5. I vividly remember the days of opening a wax pack and chewing on a piece of gum that tasted like a chuck of cardboard...those were the days!

Great reminder of that old box and binder's full of cards. Most of mine are hockey cards and thank goodness I have a few Gretzky rookie cards, as well as most of the stars of the late seventies and early eighties. I should price them out and see what they are worth.

I wondered about when that would be out. You'd think it would be a big hit. The market is way too saturated with cards. I remember when all you could get for baseball cards was Topps, Fller and Leaf. All were under $1 a pack. Now there are a ton of vendors and most retail at $3-5. I vividly remember the days of opening a wax pack and chewing on a piece of gum that tasted like a chuck of cardboard...those were the days!
yeah i wanted to pull a matusow rc :club: things are about to change for baseball at least. fleer closed their doors and went bankrupt this year, and the MLBPA just refused to renew donruss/playoff's licence for 06, leaving only topps and upper deck to make baseball cards, and MLBPA is also putting limits on what those 2 can put out.
fleer closed their doors and went bankrupt this year
are you serious?? so they wont be making any cards for any sports?? or just baseball?i wonder if their cards are going to go up in value since they wont be making any more
i wonder if their cards are going to go up in value since they wont be making any more
no traditionally when a manufacturer goes under their cards go down in value. fleer is gonzo - all assets have been auctioned off already.the semi-good news is upper deck did buy the fleer brand names and is scheduled to put out their own versions of a few "fleer" products in 2006, although thanks to MLBPA they are extremely limited with what they can put out in baseball. they've already scheduled "fleer ultra" hockey, though, which is nice to see since fleer didn't have an NHL licence.
i wonder if their cards are going to go up in value since they wont be making any more
no traditionally when a manufacturer goes under their cards go down in value. fleer is gonzo - all assets have been auctioned off already.the semi-good news is upper deck did buy the fleer brand names and is scheduled to put out their own versions of a few "fleer" products in 2006, although thanks to MLBPA they are extremely limited with what they can put out in baseball.
oh ok..thanks. i stayed away from fleer when i bought my boxes last night since i was never a big fan. I bought mostly Upper deck, bowman, and 1 sega teneight

I think Sports Card Collecting is for suckers these days. The cards just aren't going to be worth anything. I've heard that my entire collection is worth nothing really. I got an unopened 1991 Score set and I heard it's not worth anything. I also have an unopened 1990 Topps traded set. I got lots of rookies from around the 89' to '92 . I got a 76 and 77' Nolan Ryan but they aren't in mint condition. I have a '63 card but can't remember the guy's name but it's in decent condition but probably not mint. I got this black and white card that is from like the 1940's. The guy's last year was 1939 so I assume it's from the 40's and it looks really old and it's autographed by him personally. He was a big home run hitter . Not sure what it is worth, though. I got a complete 89' Fleer set but stupid me opened it because I was only like 12 years old at the time. I got an '87 Topps Barry Bonds, too. I think I have Bobby Bonilla from '87 too but not sure. Ok, but I was told that all these cards aren't worth anything so thought I'd tell you guys.

cards from the late '80s and '90s were massively overproduced and are basically worthless yes. but actually good condition vintage cards through the 70's are all going up a LOT. most modern collectors/card speculators concentrate on rookie cards that go up/down based on player performance. for instance some people made thousands of $ on dwayne wade last year because his cards were overlooked the previous year thanks to lebron hype.