tell me what you think. i have won $1000 in 2 weeks.

i've done 2k since february 1st off 75.00 ... i''m sort of scared now cause i'm totally hooked and i want to do this foreeeeever but my parents will kill me if i dont get a real job :D

Nice going. The important thing is not to get carried away. Don't increase your stakes because you have had some good wins. Keep it as part of your BR. That way you'll have plenty for future games if you experience a down swing. I think BR management is probably the most important thing for a poker player. The last thing you want to do is waste your cash and then not have enough if a good game occurs. With 1k to play with you should be fine for a long time, even if you hit a bad run.

I too have had a good run...in the last two weeks I have cashed out about 7k playing 5 handed 10-20 limit on paradise. I know I've been playing well and the games are good there..but how does this stack up? It kinda makes you wonder if you devoted more time to this.....

Test yourself. Say i am going to play 30 hours a week. Then see how you do. I did this myself when i had time off work. I don't play big limits online. I play 5 buck sit and go's and .50/1. I made a profit.I was making something on the lines of 2 bucks an hour over a course of a month. Not enough to quit my job. I thought to myself hey maybe i can move up limits and really make an impact, however i found playing poker 30 hours a week, way more stressful than a job. Thats my personal opinion. I rather play for fun and increase my bankroll wih a job. Try playing 30 hours a week, for one month and tell me what you think after. Btw i am 150lbs. i lost 7 lbs during this period hehehe.

Nice going. The important thing is not to get carried away. Don't increase your stakes because you have had some good wins. Keep it as part of your BR. That way you'll have plenty for future games if you experience a down swing. I think BR management is probably the most important thing for a poker player. The last thing you want to do is waste your cash and then not have enough if a good game occurs. With 1k to play with you should be fine for a long time, even if you hit a bad run.
Ditto. I got up to $1,000 and decided I was the best there ever was. :D I started playing beyond what my BR could handle and lost it all. I had to start allllll over.

Of course as a tourney player, I reccommend that all extra funds beyond what you need for a bankroll should be used to try to score a seat at a big tournament or in guarantee tournaments on w/es.That's just me though :D

Of course as a tourney player, I reccommend that all extra funds beyond what you need for a bankroll should be used to try to score a seat at a big tournament or in guarantee tournaments on w/es.That's just me though :D
Vade i agree with you. I have a 3 year plan. With all the $35-$50 buyin tournaments that there are I really feel that if I can't make money beating these players that I would just be donating trying to move up in class to soon. I learn every tournament I play. The more times I have been there (in the hunt) the more comfertable I become and the more I reconize the correct play. My thinking is if I can beat these players and build my bankroll I am just getting experience and that is a plus.. :-) jmho
Ditto. I got up to $1,000 and decided I was the best there ever was. :D I started playing beyond what my BR could handle and lost it all. I had to start allllll over.
I can't tell you how many times I did that. Or had like $400 left and play a $2/$4 PL ring game with a $400 max buy in trying to "get it all back."....Yikes! Never again. I've learned a lot over the past year of online poker and the most valuable lesson is the importance of a bankroll. Most people play their absolute best when they can survive a couple of bad beats without going broke.
I don't play on line. Mine is at brick and morter. But I'm not discounting the on line player. :-)
I was just kidding about the rigged thing....I was doing that for the conspiracy theorists lurking about.first off congrats on the excellent run.I had a similar start to my career....I went up about 1500 in a 25 day stretch...and that was playing about 20 10,20, and 30$ SNGs...I thought man this is easy....I then lost about 300 in the next stretch...lost a bit of confidence and BAM! before I knew it I couldn't cash in a SNG for the life of me...now I have been hovering around $500 in my bankroll for the last 3 months.my advice it's a slippery slope....stay 110% focused on every single hand....take it from me, I know what happens when you don't.KK

you know, for me its been a quick progression. when i first started playing online (or poker in general) about 5 months ago..I got my ass handed to me. I read a few books, worked on my game and now things are very, very good. Over the last few weeks, I have been playing on-line full time since I left my last job and am starting a new one in a week. I have been playing about 8-10 hours most days, and have been making good money. I dont play in too many tournaments, I stick mostly to the ring games. Its amazing to me that even moving up in limits the players dont neccesarily get any better. If you play solid poker, you should come out ahead. Its hard to get motivated to go back to work when you can sleep in, set your own schedule, and make more money than haveing a "real" job!

I don't really play on line, my eyes can only take about 2 hours. I have been playing poker since I was 8 years old. Poker is about feel and odds knowing when to make a move and when to lay down, It is a moment in time ................for instance pocket KK get cracked and the next hand pocket JJ hold up..........a moment in time.................knowing or feeling when to lay down a hand is so crutial to winning money........I see so many players that won't lay down a hand when I can feel it is second best and it only gets them a bad beat story (in there own mind) just a bad play.jmho,,,,swami :D :-) :)

I had a three-day stretch of 3/6 in B&M where I made a profit of 850$ - 400 one night - 250 the next and 200 the day after that- my best one day winnings would be when I scraped together 35$ for a B&M tourny - won that for $350, then took that to 10/20 & cashed out @ 1,000$.

well..dont get me wrong, I certainly have sessions where I lose money...but keep in mind that winning online and winning in a B&M are two different things. The online game moves faster and allows for much more hands to be played, which allows you to make more money. I think there are plenty of people that make very good money playing solely on the internet.

is it me or is everybody here a winning poker player??? i thought only 5 percent are winners...hmmmm i guess im talking to the elite :wink: joel
Hah. People were mostly just naming their best sessions/days. Not that they consistently made X forever. But I know/think you were just joking around. And we are elite, just ask us!
well..dont get me wrong, I certainly have sessions where I lose money...but keep in mind that winning online and winning in a B&M are two different things. The online game moves faster and allows for much more hands to be played, which allows you to make more money. I think there are plenty of people that make very good money playing solely on the internet.
I think there are too. Although game moving faster and more hands only helps if you ARE a winning player. A small caveat I figured I'd add, hah.

Won $500 playing $10 SnGs this month, last month was so so online, but won about $500 in low buyin tours offline, this month I placed just outside the month twice DOH

is it me or is everybody here a winning poker player??? i thought only 5 percent are winners...hmmmm i guess im talking to the elite :wink: joel
Ha! I know you are kind of joking around, but in reality the poker players who take the time and read and post on forums like this are much more likely to be amongst the five percent.

thats true, but also keep in mind that the internet provides a nice anonymous venue in which to toot ones own proverbial horn. I'd say 75% of the people who claim to be winning players here actually mean that they won once. Another thing to notice is that many of these posts read like this: ive been playing for 2 weeks. the first week was terrible, but i read a book and for the last 4 days ive been killing it! i put 200$ into a 10-20 game and cashed out for 1k! this is so easy. just play solid, and you should win." these are not winning players. these are lucky SOBs who will likely bleed it all back eventually.

thats true, but also keep in mind that the internet provides a nice anonymous venue in which to toot ones own proverbial horn. I'd say 75% of the people who claim to be winning players here actually mean that they won once. Another thing to notice is that many of these posts read like this: ive been playing for 2 weeks. the first week was terrible, but i read a book and for the last 4 days ive been killing it! i put 200$ into a 10-20 game and cashed out for 1k! this is so easy. just play solid, and you should win." these are not winning players. these are lucky SOBs who will likely bleed it all back eventually.
If you were referring to my post let me say, I dont think you can "get lucky" over the course of three weeks, playing every day, for 8+ hours. Now, I'm not claiming to be the next best thing, I was just sharing my experience. Now, a lot of the success that i've had comes from knowing what hands to play in what situation, how to play them, etc, etc. Like I said, I have the free time right now to spend more time than most playing poker. Also, I did not say that i've been playing for two weeks, that was just the results OVER the last two weeks. And if you werent referring to my post, then :D