another interesting ak hand.

Dirigo is a solid player it seems. DOesnt get outta line too often. Other player seems a little passive but not a total fish.** Game ID 569689251 starting - 2005-11-08 00:08:17** Split [Hold 'em] (0.50|1.00 No Limit - Cash Game) Real Money- SASHA7 sitting in seat 1 with $49.00- StakkaPer sitting in seat 2 with $56.59- SuperstarPJ sitting in seat 3 with $47.62- Binbs sitting in seat 4 with $226.68 [Dealer]- Dirigo sitting in seat 6 with $79.60Dirigo posted the small blind - $0.50SASHA7 posted the big blind - $1.00** Dealing card to Binbs: Ace :club: , King :D StakkaPer foldedSuperstarPJ called - $1.00Binbs raised - $4.00Dirigo called - $4.00SASHA7 foldedSuperstarPJ called - $4.00** Dealing the flop: 8 :D , 5 :) , 7 :) Dirigo checkedSuperstarPJ checkedBinbs checked** Dealing the turn: Ace :) Dirigo bet - $6.00SuperstarPJ called - $6.00Binbs called - $6.00** Dealing the river: Ace :D Dirigo bet - $15.00SuperstarPJ called - $15.00Binbs folded

I cannot understand why you would fold on the river, I really don't see what you can be fearing so greatly that it wouldn't be worth at least 15 to call. You've got top set, top kicker. While it is possible that you could be up against a full house, that would necessitate you thinking one of these guys had the case ace AND a 8/5/7 in their hand or pocket 8s/5s/7s. Without any raises on the turn or river in front of you, I cannot imagine this being the case. I think a call at the least is in order. If you were to raise and get re-raised, then you would know you could be in trouble. A bet on the flop could also give you a better idea of where you were at and if they could be slow-playing a set. But with this passivity, I would argue you have to pay it off as the chances of you having the best hand are high.

I dont think folding is an option here. If you are beat say NH and be on your way, but calling 15 with one other caller on the river is not a bad play, and probably the right play here. I would have raised personally, but I am loose and play fast, but I think calling here is the right play, with no folding involved.JEFF

pf: standardflop: standard (although a continuation bet wouldnt be too bad either)turn: RAISE (to 18 maybe)river: call
This is great advise here imo. As for your turn and river play WTH man, why didn't u bet the turn hard in that limit they most likely have A rag that did not pair the board or they would have bet the flop.

OK, lots of things don't make sense here.1) Why not follow up the bet on the flop? You'll get credit for an overpair most of the time, and even if they don't believe you, they'll probably fold anyway.2) When you actually hit your second ace on the river that almost ensures your ahead, why do you fold? With the pot odds, you've only got to be ahead one time in five to make the call worthwhile, and based on the betting, I'd say your ahead half the time at the very least.3) How did an ace of clubs come on the river when you had an ace of clubs in your hand? Did the suits get lost in translation somehow? The reason I ask is that I'm thinking that maybe there was actually a flush draw out there, and that was the reason that you folded when the river card hit.

Insta-call this. I think its highly unlikely that you are beaten at this point. If Diringo has a set, he likely bets a smallish amount on the flop to find out where you are at. Keep in mind that several cards could fall that make a straight possible. He might have checked a set, but I don't think that is likely in this spot. He checked this flop as well, and bet the turn. Most likely this means AJ,AT or AQ. A7,A6,69,46 and A8 are really strange holdings for what you describe as a solid player.You are ahead here way more often than not. You can't fold this hand routinely and expect a profit.Call, and if you are beat say NH.

I play this hand WAY more aggressively. I follow up with a continuation bet on the flop especially with position. You hit your card on the turn so I reraise here, maybe to $20 or $24. If you get called, you can slow down.The second Ace on the river makes me more confident about the hand. I at least call the final $15. I may even reraise here. Had you reraised the turn, you'd have a better idea of where you stood. As the pf raiser you showed no strength on any street which IMO is a little too passive.

I play this hand WAY more aggressively. I follow up with a continuation bet on the flop especially with position. You hit your card on the turn so I reraise here, maybe to $20 or $24. If you get called, you can slow down.The second Ace on the river makes me more confident about the hand. I at least call the final $15. I may even reraise here. Had you reraised the turn, you'd have a better idea of where you stood. As the pf raiser you showed no strength on any street which IMO is way too passive.
FYP.I can't think of a worse way to play this hand unless you were leading out and Farrelled it. Continuation bet on flop was called for if nothing else to see where you are. As for the river, you only have to have the best hand 1 out of 4 times to make this call correct. I wouldn't have been too worried about middle position at all. CALLPS - Since this is my first post in the stag section, I do have to say that I am a pretty agressive player as well but the above is how I would have played the hand.~sublime

Haven't read replies.I really don't like the way this hand was played.It might be results-based to say you should have bet the flop. More than anything it depends on how often you think a continuation bet will make them fold, or at least... NOT get check/raised.I'm raising the turn 100% of the time though. I think that's important.I'm also not folding the river.

Here are the results. Now before you say that im being results orientated I think you should let me explain why I played the way I did.** Dealing the river: Ace :club: Dirigo bet - $15.00SuperstarPJ called - $15.00Binbs foldedDirigo shows: 8 :D , 8 :D SuperstarPJ mucks:Dirigo wins $59.00 from the main potThe original check on the flop I believe comes from my recall ability of how these players play. I prolly thought the speed of their check gave them away slightly.On the turn, look at how little is bet into the pot. A clear tell that the bettor doesnt want to scare anyone away. The bet on the river clearly indicates a value bet. A value bet for a very strong hand. He clearly does not fear the Aces on the board at all.Comments appreciated.

He can't value bet the turn and bet that on the river with a weaker ace? If I recall correctly you called an all in in a similar thread after calling a small bet on the turn that you said gave the player away for being weak. There are many more combos you beat that he plays the same way than combos that beat you. The extra player who flat called makes this even an easier call imo.

Ouch. I was wrong as was most of the forum here, my guess was that you were ahead. Anyway, good job on minimizing your losses on this hand. Note that if you ever see villian again, that he played this hand quite well and be wary of him in the future.Good luck!

Nice results based thinking there Kyle. I still maintain his fold was incorrect.

This is somewhat read-based, but a majority of the time, we have to call the river.In this specific case, the read on the SB is that he's generally "solid" and "doesn't get out of line". Therefore, he's probably not playing this with a weaker ace, and we can narrow down his hand range from the call and his betting pattern. I'm still not sure that we can narrow it down enough to fold here, but at least the OP is taking time to make these considerations.

I agree with everyone in the fact that the fold is not something you wanna do every time. Im sure in any other situation I woulda played this differently, but you should be able to see that I was hestitant about this hand at the flop.I just wanted more opinions about this hand. I dont think I played it wrong situationally, but I also know that I would prolly play this different against other opponents.

I think your read has to be very close to perfect to fold.Looking back at the original post, it looks like this is not the case by the way you worded your read on the villain.

I concur that the call on the river was a must, but it was because you don't have enough information to fold. It is a sheer guess of whim in online play because he could conceivably have AQ, AJ, or even AT. One thing you could have done to get more information is to raise the turn. He's bet small into a large pot which is fishy, especially when you just hit your card! I think a raise to 12-16 is very appropriate (please don't compare to a possible 15 call on the river). This raise will either induce a slow play call from the his set, a reraise is most likely, at which point you know you are beat. The raise will also force the middle player to make a decision about whether he can stay in the pot with what might be a straight draw or single pair. My point is that if you call passively on the turn you are setting yourself up to get outplayed on the river. And just because you feel like you had a brilliant read on this player this hand you can't deny the great possiblilty that he isn't full and just has a weaker ace. If you raise on the turn you will be able to be right a much greater percentage of the time.