official main event viewing thread

Why are they saying thats casper? Isn't that the ghostbusters insignia on doyle's lighter?
That is the AWESOMEST!!! lucky charm ever. Doyle ain't afraid of no ghost! Howard is sooo lucky to be getting the Casper lighter. Man that is coooool.
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Was that a poker tournament or were they reenacting the scene from Breakfast CLub?"Are you done yet?"no"Thats one more"so"thats 4 now are you done?"not even close bud"thats another right there, ive got you for the rest of youre natural born life son
exactly i was immediately on the net looking for a picture of paul gleasonTBC44.gifbtw imdb said he was principal no way wasnt he the ass. principal?
When DN laid down his pair of threes against Farha's AA, everyone acted like that was a monster laydown.
Don't remember that. The AK laydown was good but how many hands are reraising you pre flop that you have beat with this board? AJ? JJ? Okay KK but wouldnt they at least try punching that on the flop?Edited for spelling.
Your argument for KK is the same as QQ, and that guy bets Ax on that flop. It was a really good laydown. The guy could be stabbing at it. The queen was the perfect card to fall for Phil however, it allowed a fold. I am not saying he is the god of poker, but he could have easily called that hand.
Okay so you have KK beat and are facing a bet that is very clearly meant to draw attention to it. I admitted it was a good laydown, just wasnt really how I remember it when I first read about it.
Why are they saying thats casper? Isn't that the ghostbusters insignia on doyle's lighter?
That is the AWESOMEST!!! lucky charm ever. Doyle ain't afraid of no ghost! Howard is sooo lucky to be getting the Casper lighter. Man that is coooool.
ROFL!!!!!
Was that a poker tournament or were they reenacting the scene from Breakfast CLub?"Are you done yet?"no"Thats one more"so"thats 4 now are you done?"not even close bud"thats another right there, ive got you for the rest of youre natural born life son
exactly i was immediately on the net looking for a picture of paul gleasonTBC44.gifbtw imdb said he was principal no way wasnt he the ass. principal?
haha cool, quick with the pic....yeah i thought he was the ass principal too...one of the top 5 80s movies.
I agree that Phil is a bit of a douche sometimes. That being said, don't downplay how good he is playing and certainly don't downgrade him losing NO money after the flop with AK against AA with the Ace on board. When DN laid down his pair of threes against Farha's AA, everyone acted like that was a monster laydown. Yet, on here, some are saying that Phil's AK laydown wasn't that good, and that he played the hand totally wrong. I like DN AND I like Hellmuth. But to criticize Hellmuth's laydown is just wrong. Come on guys, I know this is DN's board, but at least give Hellmuth a little credit. That insta-call with AK against that donkey was great. If you are gonna praise DN laying down a straight on a paired board with three spades to an all-in bet. then you must praise Hellmuth laying down TPTK without putting ONE CHIP in the pot after the flop.
i agree it was a great laydown but1. the opposite of the unger "they never talk about any great laydowns he made" applies phil lays down so much that he has to make a brilliant one every now and then2. he was re-raised on the flop by a guy he figures for a basic player - he likely has a big pair - 3. i totally think phil put him on q's if a rag comes he has to think a lot harderI'm not hatin' but its still worse discussing
this is completely correct kowboy, the only reason he got away from it was because of his dark check, he got min raised and instantly put him on kk or qq and then when the q hits he checks to see how the guy reacts to it, he overbets huge, and phil lays down thinking he can only have QQ here.i think how pil played the hand it was quite an easy laydown, now if the bullet dodger played the hand correctly he would have busted by pot committing himself on the flop.
So, you are saying that there is only one way to play AK. Because Marcel just hit TPTK with AK a bit ago and checked it, so I guess he is a donkey too. Hey, Phil played the hand the way he did, and he was able to dodge going bust with TPTK, a hand MANY other pros don't get away from Yeah, you are right, the way he played the hand led to him having an easier decision. ISN'T THAT WHAT YOU WANT?!?!? Maybe that is exactly the reason he dark-checked??? And yeah, maybe the Queen did help him, but so what, you can't argue with the fact that many pros go bust there, Phil did not lose anything after the flop. Very good laydown. Not a legendary laydown, but a pretty good one.
I agree that Phil is a bit of a douche sometimes. That being said, don't downplay how good he is playing and certainly don't downgrade him losing NO money after the flop with AK against AA with the Ace on board. When DN laid down his pair of threes against Farha's AA, everyone acted like that was a monster laydown. Yet, on here, some are saying that Phil's AK laydown wasn't that good, and that he played the hand totally wrong. I like DN AND I like Hellmuth. But to criticize Hellmuth's laydown is just wrong. Come on guys, I know this is DN's board, but at least give Hellmuth a little credit. That insta-call with AK against that donkey was great. If you are gonna praise DN laying down a straight on a paired board with three spades to an all-in bet. then you must praise Hellmuth laying down TPTK without putting ONE CHIP in the pot after the flop.
i agree it was a great laydown but1. the opposite of the unger "they never talk about any great laydowns he made" applies phil lays down so much that he has to make a brilliant one every now and then2. he was re-raised on the flop by a guy he figures for a basic player - he likely has a big pair - 3. i totally think phil put him on q's if a rag comes he has to think a lot harderI'm not hatin' but its still worse discussing
this is completely correct kowboy, the only reason he got away from it was because of his dark check, he got min raised and instantly put him on kk or qq and then when the q hits he checks to see how the guy reacts to it, he overbets huge, and phil lays down thinking he can only have QQ here.i think how pil played the hand it was quite an easy laydown, now if the bullet dodger played the hand correctly he would have busted by pot committing himself on the flop.
So, you are saying that there is only one way to play AK. Because Marcel just hit TPTK with AK a bit ago and checked it, so I guess he is a donkey too. Hey, Phil played the hand the way he did, and he was able to dodge going bust with TPTK, a hand MANY other pros don't get away from Yeah, you are right, the way he played the hand led to him having an easier decision. ISN'T THAT WHAT YOU WANT?!?!? Maybe that is exactly the reason he dark-checked??? And yeah, maybe the Queen did help him, but so what, you can't argue with the fact that many pros go bust there, Phil did not lose anything after the flop. Very good laydown. Not a legendary laydown, but a pretty good one.
well marcel laid down too with a less scary board
again, I never said it was the greatest laydown of all time. I said that it was a good laydown too. Also, Marcel "misplayed" AK (according to the pros on this forum) just like Phil did, so I guess Marcel is a donkey. I don't know.
again, I never said it was the greatest laydown of all time. I said that it was a good laydown too. Also, Marcel "misplayed" AK (according to the pros on this forum) just like Phil did, so I guess Marcel is a donkey. I don't know.
heh let's keep quoting each other til each response is an entire pagei don't think any of us disagree - i'm guessing getting away from tptk is one of the requirements of being a top tourney player
When DN laid down his pair of threes against Farha's AA, everyone acted like that was a monster laydown.
Don't remember that. The AK laydown was good but how many hands are reraising you pre flop that you have beat with this board? AJ? JJ? Okay KK but wouldnt they at least try punching that on the flop?Edited for spelling.
Your argument for KK is the same as QQ, and that guy bets Ax on that flop. It was a really good laydown. The guy could be stabbing at it. The queen was the perfect card to fall for Phil however, it allowed a fold. I am not saying he is the god of poker, but he could have easily called that hand.
Okay so you have KK beat and are facing a bet that is very clearly meant to draw attention to it. I admitted it was a good laydown, just wasnt really how I remember it when I first read about it.
I wasn't talking down to you or anything, just saying that KK is the same as QQ there. It was a very nice fold, all caused by Phil's blind check on the flop.
phil may be a brat and a cry baby but he is a hell of a player. i know all you guys say you lay down AK there, but i would bet money that 99% of the people on this forum lose more money on that hand than phil did, myself included.
I agree, people give Hellmuth shit on poker, but he was ballin' it up. Go Phil...okay he already busted months ago...

I was on the same page as Phil as far as that guy who took the "bad beat" on the coinflip w/ J10 vs. 99 and sucked out on AK w/ KJ. He was a complete poker illiterate. I was honestly really happy to see Phil go off on him, as inappropriate as it is in real life."This guy can't even spell poker."LOL

I was on the same page as Phil as far as that guy who took the "bad beat" on the coinflip w/ J10 vs. 99 and sucked out on AK w/ KJ. He was a complete poker illiterate. I was honestly really happy to see Phil go off on him, as inappropriate as it is in real life."This guy can't even spell poker."LOL
yeah, that guy was a complete moron. Not that Phil didn't overexaggerate how bad of a beat he tood, but calling with T-J and then getting beat by 99 is NOT a bad beat. What a donk.

i actually have to agree with kowboykoop on this one and say that phil made a really great laydown ::not the best:: but a good one. everyone saying that phils laydown was a very easy laydown is just saying that because we could see the cards. phil was playing really good poker but just got unlucky with AK against the donk who went all in with KJbtw, does anyone know who the asain dealer was who was giving mike matusow a hard time? i really hated him after he called the floor after mike said the f-bomb really lowteneight

That AK laydown of Phil's had alot of clues in it that led to an easy laydown.....the minimum re-raise preflop......the talking on the flop with confidence....and then overbetting the flop pretty damn quickly to the point that when you looked over at the old dudes stack...you realize that he is basically allin after that bet (he had around 6k left after betting 10k)Kowboy is right....it was a great laydown because he had the discipline to pay attention to all the info he got from the hand......ALot of poker forum pros go broke there because they pot stick themselves on the flop.....But seriously....you got TPTK on a A44 board....I THINK you can check that flop and take anothe rcard...your hand really isn't in much danger if it isn't already slaughtered.....If you are afraid of people hitting two outers on you all the time where you MUST bet the pot on that flop....then you are seeing too many monsters under the bed....PHIL PLAYED THE HAND PERFECTLY.Good post Kowboy. You are redeeming yourself.Great play Phil....."He played AK horribly" LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

That AK laydown of Phil's had alot of clues in it that led to an easy laydown.....the minimum re-raise preflop......the talking on the flop with confidence....and then overbetting the flop pretty damn quickly to the point that when you looked over at the old dudes stack...you realize that he is basically allin after that bet (he had around 6k left after betting 10k)Kowboy is right....it was a great laydown because he had the discipline to pay attention to all the info he got from the hand......ALot of poker forum pros go broke there because they pot stick themselves on the flop.....But seriously....you got TPTK on a A44 board....I THINK you can check that flop and take anothe rcard...your hand really isn't in much danger if it isn't already slaughtered.....If you are afraid of people hitting two outers on you all the time where you MUST bet the pot on that flop....then you are seeing too many monsters under the bed....PHIL PLAYED THE HAND PERFECTLY.Good post Kowboy. You are redeeming yourself.Great play Phil.....See, I told everyone I made serious posts. People just have to actually read them."He played AK horribly" LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!