best stud player in the world

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

remember that  call down that ted forrwst made on chad brown in the 04  wsop stud tourney?? ted called him down with a pair of 2's ...sick.....
I don't remember all the specifics of that hand... but I do remember the commentators (who apparently don't know much about stud) overstating a little how good the play was. Even iIn a full-ring game, it'd be correct to play with a pair of 2's and an overcard kicker against a probable pair, and to be prepared to go to the river unless you know your opponent has 2-pair early. In a 3-handed situation, it's even better. At some point, I think Brown checked the hand, and I think Forrest took it down without a showdown. Does anyone remember better?I don't doubt that Forrest had a good read on Brown, and he probably knew that his 2's were good... but it wasn't a stupid-sick play in short-handed stud.
maybe so, but with all that was riding on the hand, <tons of chips> i think calling down with 22 is hard as hell...if you are wrong you think" damn why did i call with freaking duces"...imho it was a sick call in a wsop TOURNEY situation...
John Hennigan, Chip Reese, Phil Ivey, and Ted Forrest should be high on anybody's list.
This is a very good list of the top cash game players from everything I've ever heard, read, and seen. Steve here at the forum might have others. But I doubt you could go far wrong with this list, inasmuch as it is even possible to decide who is the "best" at something like a poker game.
John Hennigan, Ted Forrest, Chip Reese, and Phil Ivey. In that order.
Kinda beat me to it... But I will be honest I had Hennigan behind Forrest. Either way those are top 4.Chip Reese... Best all around player alive.
remember that  call down that ted forrwst made on chad brown in the 04  wsop stud tourney?? ted called him down with a pair of 2's ...sick.....
I don't remember all the specifics of that hand... but I do remember the commentators (who apparently don't know much about stud) overstating a little how good the play was. Even iIn a full-ring game, it'd be correct to play with a pair of 2's and an overcard kicker against a probable pair, and to be prepared to go to the river unless you know your opponent has 2-pair early. In a 3-handed situation, it's even better. At some point, I think Brown checked the hand, and I think Forrest took it down without a showdown. Does anyone remember better?I don't doubt that Forrest had a good read on Brown, and he probably knew that his 2's were good... but it wasn't a stupid-sick play in short-handed stud.
YOUR WRONG JACK ASS!Forrest didn't take it down without a showdown. He called every bet all the way to the river and turned over his pair of 2's and then raked in the pot. Oh and by the way if you are up against a probable pair and your pair is smaller.............YOU FOLD! :club:

Forrest is the best in the world at stud and razz. And that hand with Forrest and Chad brown did go to a showdown, Brown bet every round. Also Brown was the one with the high cards, not Forrest.

John Hennigan, Ted Forrest, Chip Reese, and Phil Ivey. In that order.Surprised that someone would mention Danny Robinson. Few people outside of the circle of players that I named know who he is.
I think the only reason Robison's name wasn't on more lists is that he doesn't play tournaments or play in the Big Game at Bellagio (and is thus "out of sight, out of mind" for the average player). I know he and Reese crushed Vegas for years playing stud. Even while Robison was in the throes of drug addiction, he was supposed to be pretty awesome to watch.Since he became a born-again Christian, I know he doesn't play as much as he used to. But from what I've read, he still plays in some of the high-limit stud games in LV and SoCal (like Flynt's game). Steve may know more or have seen him play some of these games, since I have never played live in California (though my first trip to Commerce is coming up in just a few months).What I would really like to hear some people's thoughts on (including Steve, who has played higher-limit stud) is what makes these guys special as stud players? It obviously goes well beyond memory and simple card sense (lots of the top pros possess these things). What do Forrest, Reese, and Hennigan have that make them such excellent stud players?Thoughts?

do any of you actually play with these people, to make that kind of judgment on who's the best player???all i can speculate about is that most of the pros,from what i've read, say ted forrest is one of the best. there's my 2 cents.

do any of you actually play with these people, to make that kind of judgment on who's the best player???all i can speculate about is that most of the pros,from what i've read, say ted forrest is one of the best.  there's my 2 cents.
I'm 5'9" and can't jump. I never played basketball with Michael Jordan. He's the best ever. I'm pretty comfortable in my opinion, although some may choose to debate it.Don't take life so seriously.
remember that call down that ted forrwst made on chad brown in the 04 wsop stud tourney?? ted called him down with a pair of 2's ...sick.....
YOUR WRONG JACK ASS!Forrest didn't take it down without a showdown. He called every bet all the way to the river and turned over his pair of 2's and then raked in the pot. Oh and by the way if you are up against a probable pair and your pair is smaller.............YOU FOLD! :club:
Um... what's with the anger? I misremembered the hand. The call at the end is pretty sick with just the unimproved deuces. In general, every call up to then is proper strategy. I definitely remember that Forrest had a kicker on 3rd higher than Chad's door card, which makes the hand playable heads up, even if Chad did have the higher pair he was representing.Berate me for not remembering the hand correctly. I recall the commentators acting as if this was some sickeningly amazing play throughout the whole hand. I grant that it was an amazing call on the river with the unimproved deuces. But don't try to berate me for knowing good seven card stud strategy. If you think smaller pair equals auto fold, regardless of your kicker, you don't know seven card stud.
do any of you actually play with these people, to make that kind of judgment on who's the best player???all i can speculate about is that most of the pros,from what i've read, say ted forrest is one of the best. there's my 2 cents.
I'm 5'9" and can't jump. I never played basketball with Michael Jordan. He's the best ever. I'm pretty comfortable in my opinion, although some may choose to debate it.Don't take life so seriously.
no really, it's not like that. you can actually watch michael play. but how many times do you get to see a live stud game going on? i'm not just being a tight ass here, thats just what i think :wink:
remember that call down that ted forrwst made on chad brown in the 04 wsop stud tourney?? ted called him down with a pair of 2's ...sick.....
ummm now it was a sick call down....do you always change your position when called out on something? very weak tight homey....