was the wpt the downfall of gus hansen

gus hansen as all of us know if one of the most skilled and aggressive players on the planet because of his aggressive stlye he would almost always crush any game he played in including tournamentswhen the "lipstick cams" were introduced for big tourneys we could see everyones cards and then we found out how truely aggressive and skilled gus is once players could see his cards they could pick up a better read on himif i am not mistaken his "downfall" came about 1-2 years post poker boom after everyone everywhere saw how and what he was playing now gus is a GREAT player and i really respect him and his talent but was his fall 1.poor BR manegment2.A LOOOOONG streak of variance (sw kinda)or3.the people he played against figured out his styleflames welcome plzz correct any incorrect info

well thought out post, good sources, reliable info, you get an A+.
i feel so accepted and here come the flames
what else do you expect, Gus to come post on here revealing his books, this is why people need to think about what they are asking before they post.

I think you have some good points, but all of the pros are experiencing the same thing, I mean, Doyle wrote a book about how he plays and he still seems to be doing okay. Negreanu had a good series in '04 despite being in the same situation, and his style is SOMEWHAT similar, ( I know it is different, but it isn't by the books like, say, D. Harrington) So, I don't think the hole cams is the reason, I think his style is one where he will run EXTREMELY well for a while, which he was, and one which will cause him to run very badly too, which he seems to be going through now. It will even out.

I think he likes the image the WPT has given him. I read or seen somewhere he said he likes that people thinks he capable of making the same raise with 72o or pocket aces. DN even said that its a scary image to have at a table, a guy that will call your raise with basically anything, also that he's capable of raising, or even re-raise you with anything.

Maybe, just maybe, Gus is focusing on cash games more than tourneys...just because someone hasnt been hammering the tourney circuit doesnt meant they arent a succesful poker player.
are u f'in kiding me he used to play in the biggest game with the highest stakes and the best players in the world now he is seen playing 100/200 on stars (not frowning down on it as i sit at.05/.10NL) i mean that must be one hell of a downswingnot saying he couldnt compete at the highest level but what happened to his BR i mean he is GREAT but what happened
Maybe, just maybe, Gus is focusing on cash games more than tourneys...just because someone hasnt been hammering the tourney circuit doesnt meant they arent a succesful poker player.
are u f'in kiding me he used to play in the biggest game with the highest stakes and the best players in the world now he is seen playing 100/200 on stars (not frowning down on it as i sit at.05/.10NL) i mean that must be one hell of a downswingnot saying he couldnt compete at the highest level but what happened to his BR i mean he is GREAT but what happened
I saw phil ivey sitting at a 100/200 table the other day too. i wonder if the same thing happened to him... he must have really lost all of his bankroll...(sw if you didnt pick up on it)

Downfall? What? Where? When?Last I heard, he was doing well in the big game.Oh! Wait! I know!You suckers think tournaments are mostly skill. And, since you haven't seen Gus at a final table in a while, he must have been figured out and he's obviously broke now.Sorry, I don't know what came over me...

Downfall? What? Where? When?Last I heard, he was doing well in the big game.Oh! Wait! I know!You suckers think tournaments are mostly skill. And, since you haven't seen Gus at a final table in a while, he must have been figured out and he's obviously broke now.Sorry, I don't know what came over me...
ummm wait you are telling me that he is still in the big gameI am askingcuz i know that if i had the money for 4k-8k then i wouldnt be at no 100/200unless i was nutbarring
ummm wait you are telling me that he is still in the big gameI am askingcuz i know that if i had the money for 4k-8k then i wouldnt be at no 100/200unless i was nutbarring
Doyle said in an interview on ESPN.com that after taking a hit when he stepped up to the big game, he has recently done very well in the game. He has recouped his losses and is now a winner.
Doyle said in an interview on ESPN.com that after taking a hit when he stepped up to the big game, he has recently done very well in the game. He has recouped his losses and is now a winner.
not in disbelief but in interest is there a link to a vid or script of this interviewyeah and i assume he is talking about gus not himself
the reason he plays 100-200 is because he doesnt live in the US, so he cant exactly walk over to the big game every night. and, like everyone else he enjoys playing online poker. im sure if pokerstars started spreading a 4000/8000 game gus would be all over it
funny, cause many other big time pros play in the 100-200 stars game when they get the cahnce. Gus doesn't play that many tournies and plays when he wants to. He can only come to the US for 90 day stretches since he is a resident of Monaco and not the US. Gus has never played a big tourny schedule. Your assumptions are pretty dumb