time to hang up the tinfoil hat

Every once in a while, a newbie comes along and posts about online poker being rigged. A group of regular posters then immediately respond with a bunch of references to tinfoil hats implying that the OP is just a paranoid nutjob. I can understand how regular online players can get frustrated with these posts, but the tinfoil hat references are becoming just as tiring and annoying.Suspecting the integrity of the gaming industry is not indicative of the same level of paranoia as believing that the CIA is reading people's minds. Given the long history of organized crime's involvement in the gaming industry, as well as the often lax or non-existent regulations governing the industry, it is not unreasonable for someone new to online poker to be sceptical about its integrity.The sensible response to sceptics is to either refer them to those who have extensive hand histories that support the supposition of an honest deal or to suggest that they themselves begin keeping their hand histories and comparing the results to the theoretical distribution of hands for a random deal. Dismissing people's concerns with a sarcastic (not to mention trite) reference to tinfoil hats just makes the regulars on this site seem petty and dogmatic.

Every once in a while, a newbie comes along and posts about online poker being rigged. A group of regular posters then immediately respond with a bunch of references to tinfoil hats implying that the OP is just a paranoid nutjob. I can understand how regular online players can get frustrated with these posts, but the tinfoil hat references are becoming just as tiring and annoying.Suspecting the integrity of the gaming industry is not indicative of the same level of paranoia as believing that the CIA is reading people's minds. Given the long history of organized crime's involvement in the gaming industry, as well as the often lax or non-existent regulations governing the industry, it is not unreasonable for someone new to online poker to be sceptical about its integrity.The sensible response to sceptics is to either refer them to those who have extensive hand histories that support the supposition of an honest deal or to suggest that they themselves begin keeping their hand histories and comparing the results to the theoretical distribution of hands for a random deal. Dismissing people's concerns with a sarcastic (not to mention trite) reference to tinfoil hats just makes the regulars on this site seem petty and dogmatic.
If you come with a claim, bring proof.If not, stfu and buy a tinfoil hat.And, since you defend such idiocy, I request you buy one that is attatched to an electrical outlet.
Dismissing people's concerns with a sarcastic (not to mention trite) reference to tinfoil hats just makes the regulars on this site seem petty and dogmatic.
One could suggest that starting a new thread after being quite thoroughly carved into sections in the last thread accusing online poker of being rigged, so that you can start a new thread implying it.... is also fairly 'trite' or at the very least annoying as hell.That and the fact of the matter is, that your argument still consists of the following statements: 1) I have no proof that internet poker is fixed. 2) I'm too lazy/poor/cheap to attempt to research the issue/compile data. 3) I challenge you to do the research I should be doing, in the hopes one of you will prove me right.Sorry m'friend, the burden of proof is still on the person making the argument/accusation, those holding an accepted opinion are allowed to rest on the complete lack of evidence to the contrary.
1) I have no proof that internet poker is fixed. 2) I'm too lazy/poor/cheap to attempt to research the issue/compile data. 3) I challenge you to do the research I should be doing, in the hopes one of you will prove me right.
I can't tell if I like your well structured rebuttal, or my dragon example from the other thread.Either way, the point is the same, and apparently it doesn't matter how many times people are told, or in how many different ways.
Either way, the point is the same, and apparently it doesn't matter how many times people are told, or in how many different ways.
Well we haven't tried branding yet.... I'm pretty sure that'll leave an impression so to speak.

Let me start by saying I do NOT believe on-line poker is rigged. Now, all I think the OP is saying is that it is not unreasonable for someone new to poker to be suspicious of the integrity of the site. To compare poker being rigged to the CIA reading minds is a little unfair. However, if someone only thinks the site is rigged is because they got sucked out on, then they are probably a fish and a losing player. Bottom line: with PartyPoker becoming a public corporation there is no reason for them to jeopardize their name or to rig their site, but for someone unfamiliar to on-line poker it is understandable for them to be a little cautious about the site.

i totally agree with you i have taken so many bad beats online i know it is rigged but any time i make a post to discuss this important subject ppl get mad at me and make fun of me its like wtf im trying to help anyone u cant win when they cheat.

As the original "tinfoil hat" poster here on fcp I agree with the OP that it is time to put the tinfoil to rest. In honor of the #1 movie in America this weekend, Dukes of Hazzard, I suggest we start wearing :ARMADILLO HATSThey tend to block the bots ability to read your mind much better anyway.

A lot of the criticisms of my post make the point that the burden of proof lies with anyone who is making accusations against online poker, and so ad hominem attacks on the mental stability of anyone who doubts online poker's integrity without such proof are warranted. I can think of two reasons, however, that a reasonable person who is new to online poker could be justified in placing the burden of proof on the defenders of online poker. The first, as alluded to in my original post, the gaming industry has a long history of rampant corruption. It would not normally be considered a symptom of paranoia if a new hire at a trucking company were to be initially suspicious of his local teamsters union officials, even if he had no specific knowledge of any wrong doing on their behalf. A 50 year history of involvement with organized crime is considered sufficient to shift the burden of proof to the teamsters. The gaming industry's history warrants a similar suspicion.In addition, when an institution asks you to trust them with large quantities of your money, it is usually considered reasonable to expect them to establish their trustworthiness. When it comes to investing, the refusal to accept abscence of evidence of untrustworthiness as evidence of abscence of untrustworthy behavior is not generally seen as an instance of lunacy on a par with wearing tinfoil hats to protect oneself from mindreaders.

i totally agree with you i have taken so many bad beats online i know it is rigged but any time i make a post to discuss this important subject ppl get mad at me and make fun of me its like wtf im trying to help anyone u cant win when they cheat.
You know, for a fella with a moniker like PROpOKER_101 you're kind of a dense..........

saw a great article in cardplayer: http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_magazine/a...4638&m_id=65559basically his point is that with the rake why does a company need to risk the business by cheating. its just stupid business and obviously these people arent stupid...yes we all take bad beats...but thats life deal with it...you lost the hand b/c you werent 100% to win the hand in the first place..learn to deal with that fact or quit poker...on any given day a 23offsuit could suck out on aces...

Guest Anonymous
I find it funny when people believe that online poker is rigged. Not only does it signify that the individual's ability to logically examine a situation is inadequate, but the amount of egotism one must possess to assume that an online gaming provider would go out of their way to add hidden routines to discriminate against individual players is just too much.Party Poker is out to get you!!!!!! Play at UB, but when you sign up, use bonus code TINFHAT01 or else the hidden routines will kick in, and you will get aces 10 times out of every 100 hands but they will always get cracked!And on a side note, the CIA cannot read minds, but the RCMP here in Canada have been able to do that since the 60s.

The internet poker industry is NOT run by wiz kids or the mafia, but it is run by gangsters. Or more accurately, gangstas. 2pac & Biggie, from their super secret underwater fortress. They used four genetically engineered super genius chimps to create & incorporate an advanced bad beat technology program codenamed Project: Kick in the Nuts (aka nagging Mother-in-law). The program doesn't target everyone, just those without a double layered tinfoil hat that has been soaked in veggie oil(their aces NEVER get cracked).I understand that you may want proof, well here goes(over dramatic pause) I.....am....one of those super genius chimps.(dramatic music follows)PS. I'm a monkey just looking to share my bananaMekanic the super chimp