dan druff speaks on dn

Someone say something to get Phillips all fired up again, his posts are funnier than hell.That meaner and meaner one was just splendid.
I actually thought that was his worst one. Then again he was trying to belittle me so I guess I am biased.
  • Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to respond to everyone's comments regarding a post of mine that I knew would become controversial. I tried to say everything in a respectful and non-egotistical manner, yet still I managed to offend some people here. So be it.1. I'm glad to see that Daniel took the time to respond to my post -- which wasn't even originally designated to be made on this forum. Again, as I mentioned in my original message, Daniel and I were never at the same table. I was only going on hearsay, regarding the way Daniel both built up and lost his gigantic middle-stage stack. I was told that he played wildly at the beginning and hit miracle upon miracle, thus building up his stack quickly. While people did note that he took some really rough beats to allow his stack to evaporate so quickly, others stated that he was playing too many hands and set himself up for this to happen. Again, this is only hearsay. Maybe the players who told me this were poor judges of his play, or they were simply bitter about beats he had given them. I don't know. Obviously I can't verify the truthfulness of any of this.I don't understand how people are taking my post as an indication that I have a big ego. At no point in my post did I brag about myself, put Daniel's skills down, or anything that would be representative of someone who sees himself as the world's greatest player. For those of you that don't know my story, I'm a cash game player. I never gave a second thought to big tournaments until this year's WSOP, at which point I decided to give it a whirl. I made 3rd in my first one, 1st in my second. I'm proud of those accomplishments, but I also realize that a fair share of luck was required. I don't expect to final table at every tournament, and in fact already got a dose of harsh tournament reality when I was bad beat quickly out of the main event.2. I'm also aware that cards play a large role in your success during the later stages of tournaments. I had the chip lead at one point at the final table in the 1500 Limit event, yet I lost the majority of my stack within a period of 25 minutes when I simply got cold-decked during 3-handed play.3. The point of my post was not to rub it in Daniel's face that I won the event and he didn't. The reason I posted that was simply to express my surprise that an experienced, successful player such as Daniel wasn't able to hold onto such a humungous lead at a limit event. -Todd
1. Then don't waste ppl's time on assumptions.2. Your aware yet. You are not. Dude your screwy.3. Dude you need help. Cause you contradict your self and then make this assertation. OMGOrTranslation; I am aware but suddenly forgot about that stuff beccause I am uh?Are you gradin123 cause I think your gradin123.Oh yeah.
How can you talk with Paul's nuts in the back of your throat??OMG!!! You disagreed with a pro in a public forum!!! Have a cookie.
I have been playing poker for longer than most pros. I am not awed by professional poker players. I can be one any time I want to. You can come give me that cookie at Harras/Resorts any time you like. I am not very good at heads up poker...so take it easy on me :club:
How can you talk with Paul's nuts in the back of your throat??OMG!!! You disagreed with a pro in a public forum!!! Have a cookie.
I have been playing poker for longer than most pros. I am not awed by professional poker players. I can be one any time I want to. You can come give me that cookie at Harras/Resorts any time you like. I am not very good at heads up poker...so take it easy on me :club:
I think wheelie has said before that he does not consider himself a pro.p.s. wheelie is the name I file paulp notes under. fwiwcause ofpdPOSOP0004.jpg
who would you rather do?meg ryan?or jack nicholson?
Three-way! Umm...did I say that out loud. Got to go book an appointment with my therapist now.As for the direction this thread has gone, whip 'em out. I'll get a ruler and we can settle this like men.
Someone say something to get Phillips all fired up again, his posts are funnier than hell.That meaner and meaner one was just splendid.
I actually thought that was his worst one. Then again he was trying to belittle me so I guess I am biased.
I agree. Though when I read the part about stomping on puppies I was going to mention that he could just drown some kittens...then I realized that was crossing the line...and I guess it still is. Oh well.
. He simply stated that he HEARD from others in THAT tourney that DN grew a huge stack playing wrecklessly, and lost it just as quickly playing recklessly.
I do this sometimes too, when I dont know how to spell a word and Im too lazy to:1.- open up my word processor2.- type in the word3.- see if it gets underlined I just write it two different ways just to make it look like one of them was a type-o. It worked in highschool, aparantely you can also pull this off in Yale. I'll tell my friend in Harvard to try it, and Ill post an update.
I don't think he is the type of guy to overestimate his own abilities
"Given that I made 3rd and 1st place in the two I've played, I came to realize something. There's no excuse for chunking off a big lead in a limit tournament."
BTW...thanks for the "ignorance" comment. Good for a laugh. BTW...what was your GPA at Yale???
Oh. My. God.Thank you for your tireless work to perpetuate the most loathsome ivy league stereotype; I'm sure your fellow yalies greatly appreciate it.
Look. You call me ignorant when I have not made any ignorant statements. In fact, flaming aside, can you honestly say that I have not presented a fair and legitimate case? I am not on here acting like an ignorant a-hole. You are too concieted to give credit for anyone else actually being intelligent, so sure, I stereotypically threw the Yale thing out there to defend my intelligence. But you know what. I don't give a censored. I came from nothing, and I have earned that right. So, you can call me stupid...but I can't defend my intelligence. Sure Paul...sure.
Mr. all american Yale baseball star forgot a golden rule of 3rd grade spelling, "i before e, EXCEPT after c" What a Donk!!
Mr. all american Yale baseball star forgot a golden rule of 3rd grade spelling, "i before e, EXCEPT after c" What a Donk!!
you just ruined my spelling joke.oh and you dont have to insert 90 quotes for 1 word. TY.
Which must make you better than they are... indeed i like your way of thinking.
you just ruined my spelling joke.oh and you dont have to insert 90 quotes for 1 word. TY.
i apologize for that thought i deleted most of it.

Could we at least have a moratorium on making fun of spelling and typographical errors on this thread? It doesn't prove anything, especially when you make punctuation and spelling errors while doing it.

Could we at least have a moratorium on making fun of spelling and typographical errors on this thread? It doesn't prove anything, especially when you make punctuation and spelling errors while doing it.
it isn't about proving anything. It is about poking fun at a guy who kept name dropping yale this yale that.... it is my favorite game... pin the flame on the donkey.

You mean Smash isn't involved in this. :club: Debating with Paul is like paddling up stream with a whole in your raft. A hopeless cause and in the end you'll sink. Just ask Vince Lepore. :wink:

Here we go again... certain people picking apart every word in my original post.Honestly, it wasn't a long-thought-out, meticulously edited essay. It was a post on the neverwinpoker forum, basically made off the top of my head regarding an opinion I was holding at the time. Had I known it would have been dissected by hundreds of Negreanu fans on this site, I probably would have been more careful as to what I wrote.So let me clarify a few things:1) My 'extreme' statement, "There's no excuse for chunking off a big lead in a limit tournament" sounds less extreme if you understand the meaning of "chunking". I don't blame anyone for not understanding the meaning, since it's a term that's only really used on NWP and a few online sites I play on. (Remember, the post was made on NWP, and was intended for that audience!) Anyway, chunking refers to losing due to misplay, tilting, or overaggression (yes, I know those 3 can be the same thing). Often you'll read a story on NWP where someone writes, "The donk ran it up to 60k, but it wasn't long before he chunked it all back off." The term itself is in reference to the fact that the money disappears amazingly quickly (in "chunks") when you combine bad play and bad cards.2) I said that there's "no excuse for chunking off a big lead" in regards to Daniel because I had heard that he played too many hands despite having a gigantic stack. I stated in my original post (and my follow-up over here) that it's possible these third-party assessments of his play were incorrect, and that I'm not stating any of this as undeniable fact.3) Telling me that I don't understand variance is a joke. I have admitted many times that a fair share of luck was involved in my tournament success this year. At no point did I say that I expected this to be the "norm", or anywhere close. Only a moron or major egotist would expect such continued odds-defying success. Furthermore, being a full-time cash game player, I certainly have plenty of experience with variance. I had my worst 6 weeks ever this spring, and on Pokerstars itself (thankfully not anywhere else) I've had an astoundingly frustrating year in the 100-200 game, to the point where I have wondered how far real variance can actually go on one site. (I see that's another thread of mine from NWP that has carried over here.)Anyway, I appreciate those who have said kind things since my "follow up" post, and I've tried as hard as I could to relay the fact that I don't see myself as the world's greatest, nor do I think that two excellent tournament showings suddenly make me a top-flight tournament player.In any case, thank you, Paul, for wishing me onto the other side of regression. After hearing so many people wish me "good luck" these days, it's nice getting a wish of bad luck in order to offer me a fair and balanced view of the world.It's like that pet peeve of mine when someone leaves a poker table and says, "Good luck, everyone!" We're all playing against each other. It's impossible for everyone to have good luck. To be more realistic, the person leaving should say, "Good luck to everyone except that guy over there. I hope you all get his chips." This way, at least 9 of 10 people go home happy.

3) Telling me that I don't understand variance is a joke.
I can't speak for anyone else but that's not what I said. All I ever did was bring attention to this statement:"Given that I made 3rd and 1st place in the two I've played, I came to realize something. There's no excuse for chunking off a big lead in a limit tournament."...and point out that B does not follow from A. Now if "chunking" actually meant "play badly" then your statement is a tad obvious. When is there ever an excuse to play badly, with a big lead, from way behind, ever? So I gave you credit for saying something deeper than "don't play badly" and understood it to mean "no excuse to lose a big lead."
In any case, thank you, Paul, for wishing me onto the other side of regression.  After hearing so many people wish me "good luck" these days, it's nice getting a wish of bad luck in order to offer me a fair and balanced view of the world.
Okay, but I didn't wish you bad luck, I said I look forward to your discovering regression to the mean. If you wanted, you could read that as "I look forward to your gaining more real-world experience with both sides of variance and thus broadening as a poker player." For a lot of guys the worst thing that can happen to them is to win too easily early because it often teaches the wrong lessons about what wins.

There's never any excuse to play badly, but people do it all the time. In a tournament setting, it's easy (probably natural, too) to feel like you are invincible and well-respected when you have the biggest stack, and that can cause people to do too much bullying. At a limit tournament, this can be especially catastrophic. You don't need a lot of tournament experience under your belt to realize that.Here was my original point: People at my table were indicating that Daniel originally built his stack by being wild and overaggressive. Fine. Maybe that was his early-tournament game plan, and in this case it apparently worked for him. When he lost nearly all of it, others were pointing out that he continued playing too many hands AFTER taking the huge chip lead, and this led him into some unfortunate situations where he took some terrible beats.If he really did what these people claimed (played too many hands), then it could be said that he "chunked off" his lead. If he lost the vast majority of chips playing hands that any sensible person in his position would have played, then he didn't chunk. He just fell victim to bad luck. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you what happened. Some people at my table said one thing, Daniel says another.To address your other point, I'm certainly not one who has won "too much, too easily". Perhaps in tournaments, yes, but I've been playing cash games long enough to know that a few good early results don't indicate what you can expect in the future.

This was on the NWP forum and written by Dan Druff:As some of you know, Daniel was in my 3k limit tournament. Any observer seeing DN's 70k stack in the middle stages of the first day (2nd highest stack at that point was like 30k), and seeing my below-average stack at the same time, would find it shocking to hear that DN would finish 22nd and I would finish 1st.  Now, despite DN making the 2nd day, he was never once at my table. In fact, other than a few short sessions of Stars 100-200, I have never played with Daniel in my life.  HOWEVER...  From what I hear, Daniel should be wearing my bracelet -- or at least he should have had a shot at it. He had such a dominating stack in the middle stages of the 1st day that he should have cruised into the final table. I am aware of the fact that he apparently suffered some ugly, ugly beats, but I have been told that overaggressive play was the primary reason for the demise of his lead.  Some of you don't play limit tournaments. Given that I made 3rd and 1st place in the two I've played, I came to realize something. There's no excuse for chunking off a big lead in a limit tournament. It's not like NL, where one hand can completely change your fortune. I'm not saying that you can build a lead and play no hands. I'm not saying that a few big hands can't cripple you. However, I'm saying that building an immense lead upon the field and not even coming CLOSE to the final table probably indicates a mistake in your play.  After Daniel busted, I remarked to one of my remaining opponents that I was surprised he let his giant stack slip away so quickly. "I don't understand it," I said. The guy replied, "If you saw how he won the money in the first place, you'd understand it."  Again, I didn't get to actually SEE any of Daniel's hands, given that I didn't play with him. It's possible that only bad cards were responsible for him losing, but others who played with him thought differently.  I have no doubt that Daniel knows how to correctly play in a limit tournament. His tournament record overall is certainly one of the best in recent poker history. I am not looking down upon him, nor do I think that I'm a better player than he is. In fact, I think he probably has one of the most "complete" games of poker players today.  However, I think Daniel has indeed lost some focus. I think that the fame, media attention, and endorsements have taken him off his game somewhat. The 500k matches with Greenstein are also probably taking their toll. Those matches were probably partially to blame for DN's poor showing this WSOP.  If I had to fathom a guess, I'd say that DN came into the WSOP 3k event with reckless abandon. He felt a combination of punch drunk (between the struggles in the WSOP and struggles against Barry) and indifference. After all, when you are playing heads-up for 500k, why care about a measly 3k tourament? He played wildly, hit every hand, and suddenly found himself with a gigantic stack. At that point, he probably felt invincible, and by the time he brought himself back down to reality, his chips were almost gone.  This was actually a good thing for me. The last person I'd want to face heads up for a bracelet would have been Negreanu. I can assure you that I was happy to hear that he fell out of the tournament -- even though I expected it, given the fact that he came into day #2 with the worst stack.  As a one-time fan of Negreanu, I hope he starts to focus on poker again, and less upon writing about his shopping trips in his blog.
everyone on hear sounds like a bunch of whining idiots.Who gives a shit what he says
What...because he is Paul Phillips and you don't know who I am...I am about to be pwned??? Ignorance is bliss...isn't it?
well, yes, that is a pretty good reason.funny guy whose blog i have read vs. "guy on internet who claims he went to yale."gee, i guess i will go with funny guy whoe blog i have read.

Dan DruffI'm in no way trying to be an arsehole, but if DN built that kind of insane chip-lead in the LHE event, is it fair to call his early play overaggressive? Or was his play just right for whatever table he was seated at? To say that he was overaggressive implies that he was aggressive to a fault, which judging by his enormous lead early on, isn't true. Perhaps he played too agresive when he lost the aforementioned lead. I don't know, I wasn't at the table, which pretty much makes any generalization or assumption I may have regarding his play akin to teats on a boar hog.I respect the fact that you came here and clarified your remarks and congratulate you on a great run at the WSOP. I also am of the opinion that you are a good guy. Having said that, I think it is a tad presumptuous to come out and make generalizations like the ones you made when you are as wet behind the ears--as far as tournaments are concerned--as you admit that you are. Especially when the basis for those statements come from heresay and second or third hand information from a sewing-circle of gamblers in a tournament, and the object of them is a proven tournament winner who has the hardware to back him up.Just as your performance at this years WSOP was a bit of variance along with some good play and a little luck, Negreanu's WSOP performance is more than likely the flip-side of the variance coin. I seriously doubt he is taking advice at the moment on ways that he could improve his game so that he doesn't repeat what happened at this years WSOP.

• 4 weeks later...
Boo for your uneccesary bump.What could anyone possible have to add to this thread other than "Haha you looked like an idiot on tv" ?
That's nothing....wait till everybody else finds the members search button....
  • 1 year later...