if phil hellmuth is...........................

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to say Gus Hansen is the Darius Kasparitis of Hockey. Darius is risky, gets out of position alot, but whe he hits someone man it is a jackpot. A lot like Gus's play.I might be biased but watching Lemieux play for many seasons I must say he's one hell of a player... I won't debate that he's better than Gretzky because it's so objectional. But I would like Mario on my team over Wayne.

Finally a great topic! The wayne gretzky of poker huh? i really cant think of any except maybe Johnny Chan. I definatley have to say the Ty Domi of poker is most def Phil Hellmuth. And about DN, he is definatley Sidney Crosby.FORD
Hellmuth is definately not the Tie Domi of poker, Hellmuth is a little b.itch and Domi is definately not.

You guys mention Patrick Roy. Reminds me of one of the greatest bits of trash talking in the history of professional sports. The Avs were playing the Blackhawks in a playoff series back when the Blackhawks were relevant (hell, back when hockey was relevant), anyway, Jeremy Roenick, he of the nice commentary this week, has a nice game, scores a couple of goals and then in true J.R. form, starts shooting his mouth off. Anyway, cut to a press conference with Roy, who is asked about Roenick's comments by a reporter. Roy responds with this thing of beauty: "Tell Jeremy I can't hear him, I think my two Stanley cup rings are clogging up the hearing in my ears" Zinnnnnnnnnng.On another note, somebody made a post earlier that said that Mario Lemieux played without any heart. Of all of the ridiculous posts I have seen here, that might take the cake. Explain to me how one of the all time leading scorers, who led a team to two titles in a small market, and then went through a cancer scare and horrific back issues (ever try walking with a herniated disc in your back let alone play hockey?). I would love to hear why you think Mario played without heart.

If Phill hellmuth is the John McEnroe of poker....who is the Wayne Gretzky of poker..
Wow you guys really miss hockey, eh??I agree with the guy about the Paul Coffey comparison....it just makes sense....I like to think of myself as the scott mellanby of poker....(is tuan le the dino ciccirelli? you now hangs around picks up the lucky and garbage goals? maybe someone else fits that description better)
I don't think Dino Ciccarelli was known for having garbage goals, I mean he had 608 of them.
Actually scoring off rebounds, loose pucks near the crease is exactly what he was known for....maybe garbage was tooo harsh...opportunistic maybe?? Dino was absolutely destructive in this capacity especially on the power play.
I'm going to say Gus Hansen is the Darius Kasparitis of Hockey. Darius is risky, gets out of position alot, but whe he hits someone man it is a jackpot. A lot like Gus's play.I might be biased but watching Lemieux play for many seasons I must say he's one hell of a player... I won't debate that he's better than Gretzky because it's so objectional. But I would like Mario on my team over Wayne.
the staggering statistics Gretzky put up make it almost impossible to argue anyone was better than him....but I will say that Lemieux is the only player you can even make an argument for being on Wayne's level....imagine if he never got cancer? Nobody was touching Gretzky's stats but in his prime Mario was just as devastating as wayne.

Yeah i watched Mario play for over a decade and can testify he played with heart. He would never have made a comeback twice! and He wouldn't be willing to play nearing age 40 at the moment. The guy is solid and I've seen him play with injuries and seen him get double and triple teamed (mugged). He did fight through it all and played with nobodies and actually made players good unlike Wayne he had all the help he needed and more with the oilers.

You guys mention Patrick Roy. Reminds me of one of the greatest bits of trash talking in the history of professional sports. The Avs were playing the Blackhawks in a playoff series back when the Blackhawks were relevant (hell, back when hockey was relevant), anyway, Jeremy Roenick, he of the nice commentary this week, has a nice game, scores a couple of goals and then in true J.R. form, starts shooting his mouth off. Anyway, cut to a press conference with Roy, who is asked about Roenick's comments by a reporter. Roy responds with this thing of beauty: "Tell Jeremy I can't hear him, I think my two Stanley cup rings are clogging up the hearing in my ears" Zinnnnnnnnnng.On another note, somebody made a post earlier that said that Mario Lemieux played without any heart. Of all of the ridiculous posts I have seen here, that might take the cake. Explain to me how one of the all time leading scorers, who led a team to two titles in a small market, and then went through a cancer scare and horrific back issues (ever try walking with a herniated disc in your back let alone play hockey?). I would love to hear why you think Mario played without heart.
[/bwhoever wrote this is not just an idiot....but also a complete a$$hole. To say that a guy who played through cancer had no heart....thats just cruel. And I had the same exact herniated disc injury Mario had when I was in college....its DEBILITATING. I have no idea how he played with that. I had trouble standing for more than 10 mins at a time.On a lighter note, my favorite thing about Mario was this hilarious fact.....did you guys know he didnt even train really in the offseason? and that he chain smoked during intermissions???Thats how naturally gifted he was....he didnt even need to work hard or have healthy habits and he was still dominant.

Cane, that reminds me of a time i was at a local gentleman's establishment (strip club) just across the river from downtown st. louis (and I digress for a minute, but if any of you ever have the unfortunate problem of being in st. louis and are looking for activities, sauget is a lovely area :-) }.................anyway, we walk in and there is phil housley with a stripper on his lap and a smoke in his mouth, during the playoffs no less.

Cane, that reminds me of a time i was at a local gentleman's establishment (strip club) just across the river from downtown st. louis (and I digress for a minute, but if any of you ever have the unfortunate problem of being in st. louis and are looking for activities, sauget is a lovely area :-) }.................anyway, we walk in and there is phil housley with a stripper on his lap and a smoke in his mouth, during the playoffs no less.
hockey players are great (did you catch Roenick's interview?? "you can all kiss our a$$es" Yeah that will win em back to the arenas Jeremy :club: )

I'd say Gus Hansen could be the Tie Domi of poker.Nobody you'd rather avoid a fight with more, and when he scores, it's a complete surprise to you.And I'll put Hellmuth as the Jarri Kurri (sp?) of poker... great is his own right, lots of championships, but his legacy is always in the shadow of greater players.

Come to think of it, there is no Wayne Gretzky of poker. There is no Wayne Gretzky of any sport. No has ever dominated a sport the way he did. His numbers are absolutely insane compared to anyone else. You can debate who the greatest poker player of all time is, but (apologies to Lemieux and Bobby Orr) you can't debate who is the greatest hockey player.
Wayne Gretzky is the "Michael Jordan" of hockey :wink:
I'm the Mike Motteau of poker. Yeah, you probably don't know who he is, but I was friends with him when we were in Little League and he made it to the NHL. He's in the AHL now, though.
pride of Boston College, think you misspelled his name though.
Come to think of it, there is no Wayne Gretzky of poker. There is no Wayne Gretzky of any sport. No has ever dominated a sport the way he did. His numbers are absolutely insane compared to anyone else. You can debate who the greatest poker player of all time is, but (apologies to Lemieux and Bobby Orr) you can't debate who is the greatest hockey player.
Tiger Woods?
Tiger Woods?
He shoots he scores....woods definitely qualifies.....in fact at his absolute peak he was wayyyyy more dominant than either MJ or Wayne
I'm the Mike Motteau of poker. Yeah, you probably don't know who he is, but I was friends with him when we were in Little League and he made it to the NHL. He's in the AHL now, though.
pride of Boston College, think you misspelled his name though.
oops, you're right. there's no "e" in Mottau.