what is it with the pros?

I'm sorry to be honest, the OP is really accusing the pros of being liars for not acknowledging the sound strategy of the late position J4 type callers. The argument is "if pros do it, why can't they?" To explain it further in reality he is saying he knows better than them, but in his mind he believes that, I quote, "they are full of themselves".Just wanted to clarify. Because the OP is correct in a sense when he says he was never saying he was smarter than the pros. Really, he was saying he was as smart as them.I hope others find my commentary humorous. If not, I will stop.

maybe the limper thought 'this is josh arieh, i'm gonna have to get real fancy against him. he's probably thinking i'm a fish at this level', hence the triple advance play. just a suggestion. not saying it was a good move, but still.

Any comments about this.
Yes, after the non-pro successfully plays those hands and makes it at the major professional levels than they can play these "marginal hands" as you say without being abused. But, by that time they are a pro.Also, a set implied a pocket pair. You are talking about trips. You have already disqualified yourself from making good judgements. You are no expert and are not in touch with the game because you are missing so much information.
STFU. Im so sick of hearing people talk down to others because they refer to trips as a set. It doesnt matter. Knowing the terminology is no proof or lack there of of poker talent, just shut the hell up about it. Many pros refer to trips as a set and so on, as a matter of fact doyle bruson called trips a set in super systems, would you like to rant and tell him that he cant make good judgements?
Oh my my. 21 gambit is correct, and sorry Elkang but you're barking up the wrong tree. Experienced poker players, those who learned live and play live....not internet newbies, refer to 3 of a kind as a set, regardless of whether you have a pair in the hole...in fact, you won't find any of those players call 3 of a kind "trips" ever.Also, as a side note, "boat" is a newbie term as well, although people use it on this site alot. Experienced players refer to it as a full, or full house...or "I'm full". If you want to show your inexperience at the poker table, just call your 3 of a kinds "trips" and your full houses "boats". LOL.Not trying to be a biatch, just passing along some info.

a set can be called trips, but trips cant be called a set, understand this, kind like how a square is a rectangle, but a rectangle isnt a square

minority, you just read the whole thing and slammed people for not having anything to do with their lives. What kind of glass do you have in your house, and what size rocks are you throwing?

If you read Arieh's rant on the J4, he basically answers the question himself by saying "why would you limp in with a marginal hand in late position?"....ummm because ure in late position.
do you play online anywhere? if so, what site/what's your sn, because i'd like some free $
Are you retarded? Honestly, Read any poker book, and they will tell you, that the later the position, the more you can loosen up starting hand selection . Im not condoning playing J4, Im just saying, most poker theorists believe that you can play crap in LP. Not my opinion, but the ones of seasoned veterans of the game,
what book did you read that says it's ok to limp with rags in position in limit? maybe it's some free book that party sends out with every new account...

The guy with J4o played horribly -- it's not surprising that Josh is upset that he lost to what is surely a losing play in the future.I think most pros like to vent losses like this or else they may go crazy. Obviously some poker players are more vocal then others but that's just the way they are.The bottom line is that you want to be playing players that limp with J4o early during a tournament but many pros are having trouble dealing with the newfound INSANE variance associated with battling a room full of RETARDS that treat poker as they would a lottery.

Oh my my.  21 gambit  is correct, and sorry Elkang but you're barking up the wrong tree.  Experienced poker players, those who learned live and play live....not internet newbies, refer to 3 of a kind as a set, regardless of whether you have a pair in the hole...in fact, you won't find any of those players call 3 of a kind "trips" ever.Also, as a side note,  "boat" is a newbie term as well, although people use it on this site alot.    Experienced players refer to it as a full, or full house...or "I'm full".  If you want to show your inexperience at the poker table, just call your 3 of a kinds "trips" and your full houses "boats".  LOL.Not trying to be a biatch,  just passing along some info.
Whatever. Language is determined by the users and is always evolving. I am not a great player, but in my scene that is what it is called. Please note that I did not make any absolute rule about what a set was (I said IMPLIED) and again the real points that I made have yet to be disputed.To argue with me over these small points is like complaining about "bad beats". Just pointless. And I've dealt with idiots like this in this type of PC police from my campus time in the early '90s.I may be wrong but I won't argue any further about it. I'm not a big pro or anything but even I have my limits to add humor or educate.Language police go crazy. What counts is your standing in the community (how other people view you) and I guess your bankroll $$$ in this particular scene. I don't look down at Doyle or Berman for saying "trips" (I mean how could I possibly do that and not be an idiot??!!? They are literally 4000x better than me) when I would say "set". I consider this related to the whole PC thing and my views on that should be clear.See the big picture folks. It's a changing world and EVERYONE makes mistakes and we all need to make allowances for each other. Let's care about the essentials and not waste time arguing with each other. Let's spend our efforts on taking money from worse players!I have a maxim I use: In all things charity. Please be nice to each other.For the religious the full maxim ( from Augustine) is :In essentials unity, in non-essentials liberty, in all things charity. The point is don't care about the stupid stuff. Care about the important stuff. All of this jibber jabber is SO unimportant!Care about improving yourself in poker and life instead of wasting time arguing with a stranger online. It does you no good except to assuage a bruised ego. Again I seriously mean no harm, but you have to understand how ridiculous some of this seems to many of us. I mean we make money off of people like you daily!!! That's as charitable as I will get because I genuinely care about the FCP community.And again, I am a low level serious player. So, my words can mean shit. If DN comes on and says I'm a dick... then well, I am schooled.I could talk ad infinitim about these issues if anyone wants to personally. But, NOT online and not in a forum. Face to face if you really have an issue. I will give you time. Otherwise, it really is in no one's interest to continue such debate. Let's just disagree and call each other idiots.*edited to fix typos that make me look like an idiot*

For those who can not read 3 paragraphs without losing their train of thought, my point is:arguing.jpgI lose.

Last post... I have to sleep since I have gotten 5 hrs a day for the last 2 weeks...I only post because I figure at least 5 of you will like what I wrote. I wrote it for you guys, but really I guess I wrote it so I have a record for what I felt in 2005 as a young poker player.I swear to God (and I'm an ex pastor) that I be punished if I regret my words 5 years from now.

The reason I felt compelled to say anything about this at all was your comment to the other poster "Also, a set implied a pocket pair. You are talking about trips. You have already disqualified yourself from making good judgements. You are no expert and are not in touch with the game because you are missing so much information. "You jumped on someone else for their use of language in a hardly charitable fashion....in fact, in direct contradiction to most of what you've just written in the above post. Soooo condescending. Perhaps you need to take your own advice. As for "I mean we make money off of people like you daily!!! ".....not sure if you meant me personally...but if you did, all I can say to that is LOL.

Oh my my.  21 gambit  is correct, and sorry Elkang but you're barking up the wrong tree.  Experienced poker players, those who learned live and play live....not internet newbies, refer to 3 of a kind as a set, regardless of whether you have a pair in the hole...in fact, you won't find any of those players call 3 of a kind "trips" ever.Also, as a side note,  "boat" is a newbie term as well, although people use it on this site alot.    Experienced players refer to it as a full, or full house...or "I'm full".  If you want to show your inexperience at the poker table, just call your 3 of a kinds "trips" and your full houses "boats".  LOL.Not trying to be a biatch,  just passing along some info.
Whatever. Language is determined by the users and is always evolving. I am not a great player, but in my scene that is what it is called. Please note that I did not make any absolute rule about what a set was (I said IMPLIED) and again the real points that I made have yet to be disputed.To argue with me over these small points is like complaining about "bad beats". Just pointless. And I've dealt with idiots like this in this type of PC police from my campus time in the early '90s.I may be wrong but I won't argue any further about it. I'm not a big pro or anything but even I have my limits to add humor or educate.Language police go crazy. What counts is your standing in the community (how other people view you) and I guess your bankroll $$$ in this particular scene. I don't look down at Doyle or Berman for saying "trips" (I mean how could I possibly do that and not be an idiot??!!? They are literally 4000x better than me) when I would say "set". I consider this related to the whole PC thing and my views on that should be clear.See the big picture folks. It's a changing world and EVERYONE makes mistakes and we all need to make allowances for each other. Let's care about the essentials and not waste time arguing with each other. Let's spend our efforts on taking money from worse players!I have a maxim I use: In all things charity. Please be nice to each other.For the religious the full maxim ( from Augustine) is :In essentials unity, in non-essentials liberty, in all things charity. The point is don't care about the stupid stuff. Care about the important stuff. All of this jibber jabber is SO unimportant!Care about improving yourself in poker and life instead of wasting time arguing with a stranger online. It does you no good except to assuage a bruised ego. Again I seriously mean no harm, but you have to understand how ridiculous some of this seems to many of us. I mean we make money off of people like you daily!!! That's as charitable as I will get because I genuinely care about the FCP community.And again, I am a low level serious player. So, my words can mean censored. If DN comes on and says I'm a dick... then well, I am schooled.I could talk ad infinitim about these issues if anyone wants to personally. But, NOT online and not in a forum. Face to face if you really have an issue. I will give you time. Otherwise, it really is in no one's interest to continue such debate. Let's just disagree and call each other idiots.*edited to fix typos that make me look like an idiot*
Those who dance in glass slippers shouldn't throw stones.So what you're saying is that you jumped down his throat because of what a bunch of balarenas or Micheal Flatly's define a word as? Come on pal, you've peaked, the more you post the worse you look. I don't know what your initial intentions were when you posted, tearing down a poster or bragging about how you know the two step from the three step, but I'd have to say its gone horribly awry.Congrats.
If you read Arieh's rant on the J4, he basically answers the question himself by saying "why would you limp in with a marginal hand in late position?"....ummm because ure in late position.
do you play online anywhere? if so, what site/what's your sn, because i'd like some free $
Congratulations, Pupsta, you've just used THE most cliche retort to another poster's response in the history of this forum. You're lack of originality is like a sledgehammer pounding relentlessly on my brain. You suck.

alright. time to barge in.elkang has a lot of good things to say whether or not he may sound condescending. I suggest listening to him, because he has contributed much more to this forum then almost all of the poeple who responded to this thread. At least he has a head on his shoulder.for the record...i believe doyle fixed his "set" and "trips" difference in SS2. Search this forum for confirmation.No one seemed to address THIS guy's post which i hope he was kidding.

elkang, you're a sad man for knowing that much about dancing AND being proud enough of it to brag about it.Congratulations elkang you have over 900 posts and you know the difference between a set and trips, but the OP had a serious question.The simple fact is that, as our own Harry Demetriou once said, in reality all pros are the same level. The media wants to portray certain guys to be better actual players and all of the rest but in terms of skill they are all equal. They all know the odds, they all know when to value bet etc etc. The only thing that is really different between them is their mental strength and their self-belief (not to mention bankroll).This may actually be the reason that certain pros behave the way they do. It is all about ego. They can make the play, because in their mind they are the best and they can justify it to themselves. They only lose when someone gets lucky, but they don't mention anything when they get lucky.As Phil Hellmuth once said:"If luck wasn't involved, I'd win every time"
in terms of skill they are all equal. that is just flat out wrong.i dont' even know where to startsomeone help me here.