High Roller Structure

High Roller Structure  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Which Do You Prefer?

• Standard structure with 500 bbs to start
    • Start at level 4 and play it 4 times

You start with 50,000 in chips in a $25,000 buy in event with 60 minute levels. Which structure would you prefer?1. 50-1002. 100-2003. 150-3004. 150-300 (25)5. 200-400 (50)and so on...1. 150-300 (25)2. 150-300 (25)3. 150-300 (25)4. 150-300 (25)5. 200-400 (50)and so on.... When answering the question, do so from the perspective that you can afford to play these stakes comfortably.There are 2 answers for this. One for me and one for DanielStarting off with 50k in chips is a ton. For Daniel, I think he would want to get to the higher levers faster. The first choice leaves more room to make looser calls earlier on in the tourney. With 50k chips, much easier to call 3x 4x 5x ..heck maybe even 10x bets under the first structure early on. For myself, I favor the first structure for this same reason. Id be more willing to take some gambles since I can afford to take hits with 50k in chips. For Daniel, I think he would want the 2nd structure for the exact same reason. Its not a huge difference, but I think less chances of losing to crap hands as the blinds go up. Daniel of course would be able to take advantage of skills at the higher levels. Anything can happen in those first 2 levels of first structure.To sum up,, for me, the first, but for Daniel, the second structure.Master Yoda
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They both suck!The first one is ridiculously deep at the beginning, although I think when this is the case players tend to compensate by inflating opening raises. The second one has 4 hours without a level change. That would put me to sleep.Just start with a smaller stack and keep structure #1.
I'm thinking more this, but option #2 as DN put the question (deep pocketed balla's only need apply)
I'm a bit shocked how close this is!!! I posted the same question at 2+2 and those guys are doing MUCH better, lol.
IMHO i think people are having trouble with the caveat of "answering this question solely from the frame of mind as a high stakes player".
I'm a bit shocked how close this is!!! I posted the same question at 2+2 and those guys are doing MUCH better, lol.
Ahh, because your OPINION is the "correct" way to do things. No it is close because people are actually taking the time to think about it instead of just choosing the first answer that pops in their head.
They are sheep, we are independent thinkers who challenge the status quoChicks dig that about us

I really think that the 1st few levels of a tournament are designed to make people feel like they are getting their money's worth. People don't want to bust out in the 1st level so they like structures like the 1st one. What really needs to be done is skip the first 3 levels and add 3 new levels in somewhere else. If these are my choices then the 2nd choice is definitely best.

167 bets is still absurdly deep. It would play like a really good cash game as opposed to something there's not point in even showing up for for the first 2 hours.
Correct answer ^^^^
I really think that the 1st few levels of a tournament are designed to make people feel like they are getting their money's worth. People don't want to bust out in the 1st level so they like structures like the 1st one. What really needs to be done is skip the first 3 levels and add 3 new levels in somewhere else. If these are my choices then the 2nd choice is definitely best.
Ahh exactly, low limit players want more "bang for their buck" in the early stages while high stakes players want to waste less time with meaningless levels and get the tournament underway. What I'm proposing is for HIGH ROLLER events, and not something that would carry over into smaller buy in events. I am absolutely certain, without even a shred of doubt, that players actually entering a $25k buy in event would prefer starting at a meaningful level. 167 bbs you can go broke, but it's still deep. Play that for four hours and you can win two buy ins for sure. With 500 bbs deep and no ante, you'd be VERY hard pressed to go from 50k to 60k after level 1.

paging Gilbrttology....Josh?We were there several days ago and Josh played, bought in like 3 or 4 hours after the start ($500 event) and damn near final tabled it/cashed etc.Starting on time is truly ridiculous that way they have it set up now

Ahh exactly, low limit players want more "bang for their buck" in the early stages while high stakes players want to waste less time with meaningless levels and get the tournament underway. What I'm proposing is for HIGH ROLLER events, and not something that would carry over into smaller buy in events. I am absolutely certain, without even a shred of doubt, that players actually entering a $25k buy in event would prefer starting at a meaningful level. 167 bbs you can go broke, but it's still deep. Play that for four hours and you can win two buy ins for sure. With 500 bbs deep and no ante, you'd be VERY hard pressed to go from 50k to 60k after level 1.
I would say the simple solution is to sit out for the first 4 hours..i mean it is meaningless after all

I have seen pro's sit out of tournies and come in 2-3 hours late not mentioning some names like Edog lol busy watching Sunday NFL games, as stated by him when I railed the WPT NAPC event last year.

Much better at answering the question as you would like to see it answered?For you to imply that people who pick the first option are wrong is pretty ridiculous.That being said, I still picked option two as I would think in these High-Roller events there won't be many spewmonkeys willing to lose 500bb in marginal spots so the stack-swings won't be great at all...
Much better at answering the question as you would like to see it answered?For you to imply that people who pick the first option are wrong is pretty ridiculous.That being said, I still picked option two as I would think in these High-Roller events there won't be many spewmonkeys willing to lose 500bb in marginal spots so the stack-swings won't be great at all...
except the two major 600 BB and 300BB spewoffs from the doyle brunson classic thread
That being said, I still picked option two as I would think in these High-Roller events there won't be many spewmonkeys willing to lose 500bb in marginal spots so the stack-swings won't be great at all...
Daniel Negreanu Eliminated by Billy Kopp in a HUGE PotLevel 2: 100-200, anteDaniel Negreanu was just eliminated in a huge pot against Billy "Patrolman35" Kopp.There was a lot of preflop action -- Negreanu had 10-10 against Kopp's J-J and another player's K-K. The flop came J-9-8, which hit everyone (overpair vs. Kopp's top set vs. Negreanu's open-ended straight draw). Negreanu missed his outs, and Kopp's set of jacks held up to win the biggest pot of the day. Even though it's only the second level, it's going to be tough to build a bigger pot than that today. Billy "Patrolman35" Kopp - 170,000Daniel Negreanu - Eliminated