When You're Running Really Bad

Sounds like you have some very serious issues with steaming if you can lose two weeks worth of work in one night. I'm not a tournament guy very much, but my rule for cash games is to never lose more than I can make in the next session or easily make in two winning sessions. You'll never lose half your roll following this advice. Secondly, there is no such thing as a bad beat. The cards do not care who wins, so why should you? Just make the best decisions you're capable of, and play poker. If you have hard bankroll rules, and stick to them, you should make money if you play well. Poker is definetely a game which teaches about yourself, how to manage yourself, and knowing when you're off your game. Someone had mentioned if you berate a player's play. I feel like the 1st time I say to myself "wow, I can't believe he did that" I'm already on tilt. That simple. Tilt is very sublte.Most of this is cash game advice, but if you realize that the game will always be there tomorrow when you're clear headed, you will do much better over time. Sounds like you frustrate the shit out of yourself and make yourself work way too hard.
Very good points.I think the last sentence really sticks. When I start losing, it seems like I try to "make it happen" more than I should. In other words, I think I'm no longer patient enough to let the cards (or situations) come to me, and try to force the situation a lot more. Yes, that's what steaming is all about.Over time, I'm getting better, though. Plus, 6-tabling helps. When your AA loses to KQo, it easier to simply say, "gg" and move on. When AA loses to KQ, AK loses to AQ, AK loses to 66, 66 loses to AK, over and over for a few minutes, it can start getting to me. That's when I start making fun of the other players (although I often do it in a subtle way). I'm constantly working on my attitude. A couple years ago, it was not unusual for me to go Hellmuth on people. I watch JohnnyBax play. I've never seen him say anything deragatory to anyone. So, I try to take the "nh gg" approach when I bust to a 2 outer. But obv, what I say and what I'm thinking can be quite a bit different.Isn't a lot of this about having confidence in your own game? I mean, if I played the hand perfect, and I bust to an unlucky river card, it really shouldn't bother me. Esp, long-term.
  • 2 weeks later...
Holy shit, I didn't realise we'd played together before dude. That sounds just like me. Wheel draws are my favourite because I like to yell "I JUST RE-INVENTED THE WHEEL, ************" whenever I make them. It also balances my range a lot because people have to respect the J24 flop in case I have A3 or A5 or 35, that's 3 wheel draws. TRICYCLE ************!
Wow, how did I miss this. Awesome!
Tug one out
LOL. I know someone who plays higher limit heads up sngs and was down a bunch to this guy from France. Took a break, "tugged one out" and proceeded to take the guy for over 20k.His story has inspired me. Nothing cures running bad like a good boner.
LOL. I know someone who plays higher limit heads up sngs and was down a bunch to this guy from France. Took a break, "tugged one out" and proceeded to take the guy for over 20k.His story has inspired me. Nothing cures running bad like a good boner.
ban?
Secondly, there is no such thing as a bad beat. The cards do not care who wins, so why should you? Just make the best decisions you're capable of, and play poker. If you have hard bankroll rules, and stick to them, you should make money if you play well. Poker is definetely a game which teaches about yourself, how to manage yourself, and knowing when you're off your game. Someone had mentioned if you berate a player's play. I feel like the 1st time I say to myself "wow, I can't believe he did that" I'm already on tilt. That simple. Tilt is very sublte.
+1 very good
Holy shit, I didn't realise we'd played together before dude. That sounds just like me. Wheel draws are my favourite because I like to yell "I JUST RE-INVENTED THE WHEEL, ************" whenever I make them. It also balances my range a lot because people have to respect the J24 flop in case I have A3 or A5 or 35, that's 3 wheel draws. TRICYCLE ************!
LOL (stealing this shit and using it) ^^^^^^
Although I can confirm this is a true story...I say BAN!
Really? You again. This needs to stop. Life was so peaceful for so long. There goes the neighborhood.