The Official Phil Kessel Thread

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kessel has some sort of social anxiety disorder. If the Leafs want to get him counselling for that, fine, but if his knees buckle at the site of 300 reporters in a scrum come playoff time, and he back

I have a feeling that if your team had been in the playoffs 22 yrs your media would still be stupid.

You know what, I never even thought of THIS train of thought.... every hockey player will tell you, shoulder injuries are by FAR the worst to deal with. They keep recurring, and you can't do much about them once they start. Shoulder injuries in hockey are endemic to big hits. How many times do you see a big bodycheck, and the guy that got hit skates away with his arm hanging, never to be seen again. Now... the leafs have put together an excellent defense. Very tough, and VERY dirty, especially with Exelby, Komisarek and Beauchemin. They are going to be dishing out a LOT of big hits. Now giving big hits causes big hits to be given. And if you're going to target someone for retaliation, you usually pick the best player on the other team. Guess who that is?Now, this is a lot of theory, but thinking it through, I wouldnt be at ALL surprised to see Kessel come back, last a month, and then go out again as a result of a hit. And, seriously... I hope I'm wrong. But it's kinda like starting a bar fight when one of your friends already has a concussion....
I think you are really stretching here...

i would have thought groin injuries would be by far the worst injury for a hockey player. i played a fairly high class of rugby which i think shares fairly similar physical characterists with hockey, unfortunately i hurt both my groin and shoulder and i found the groin way harder to come back from and reoccured more often.

If you guys havent seen this, Howard Berger has lost his mind. He thinks its a good idea to experiment Kaberle as a centre to set up Kessel.http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Howard-Berg...-Kessel/3/23098
That is why Howard Berger is a reporter. Or maybe he is just trying to stir up something out of nothing.
That is why Howard Berger is a reporter. Or maybe he is just trying to stir up something out of nothing.
Its weird..He compares it to some players doing it in the 50s???I know there have been some players that can make the jump..Just a few off the top of my head..Wendel was a defenceman in junior, Ian White experimented a bit last year, Dustin Byfuglien switched to forward..But none of these guys were all star defenceman playing their whole careers as dman.Interesting though
i would have thought groin injuries would be by far the worst injury for a hockey player. i played a fairly high class of rugby which i think shares fairly similar physical characterists with hockey, unfortunately i hurt both my groin and shoulder and i found the groin way harder to come back from and reoccured more often.
That's normally true, but in hockey, with the exception of goalies, you can shorter your stride a little to make up for the injury. Shoulders are just lethal...

To summarize:Brian Burke by improving his defence has put his star player(s) in danger by increasing the risk of shoulder injuries.

To summarize:Brian Burke by improving his defence has put his star player(s) in danger by increasing the risk of shoulder injuries.
To summarize: if you're going to play smashmouth hockey, you had better be prepared to lose a few of your own teeth. And if your teeth are already loose....
To summarize: if you're going to play smashmouth hockey, you had better be prepared to lose a few of your own teeth. And if your teeth are already loose....
i understand and respect your opinion on this as you know better than me...But i still think its a stretch to assume Phil Kessel will be injured because of the style of play.
i understand and respect your opinion on this as you know better than me...But i still think its a stretch to assume Phil Kessel will be injured because of the style of play.
Not at all, but the style we'll be playing in Toronto will definitely increase the risk. This was one of my first thoughts when I Heard about the deal. Hell, we're having scrums in our exhibition games! Gruven makes the point well - if you're out there hitting, they are going to hit back. And no question Kessel is going to be the first target.
I'm not saying he's going to be injured: I truly hope he isn't. But my only.... i repeat my ONLY hesitation with the Kessel deal was would it be worth it with the injury potential. Playing the style the leafs are going to be playing will definately make Kessel target #1 for retaliation, and that HAS to increase the chance of injury.

The Leafs should be barred from making any deals with Boston for at least 10 years. There last two deals look like this:BOSTON TRADES:Phil KesselAndre RaycroftTORONTO TRADESTukka Rask1st Rd Pick1st Rd Pick2nd Rd Pick Not this season, but next season, Boston will have Rask starting. He's a brilliant goalie and this is the one trade that made me lose it. I could no longer support a team that can trade away Rask for Raycroft! Boston is now an elite team in the NHL, PLUS they have a stockpile of picks and a superstar young goalie. All thanks to fleecing the Leafs.

Not this season, but next season, Boston will have Rask starting. He's a brilliant goalie and this is the one trade that made me lose it. I could no longer support a team that can trade away Rask for Raycroft! Boston is now an elite team in the NHL, PLUS they have a stockpile of picks and a superstar young goalie. All thanks to fleecing the Leafs.
Not likely, with Thomas signed for a $5 million cap hit on a contract that took effect AFTER he turned 35 (meaning the cap hit stays if he just retires).
The Leafs should be barred from making any deals with Boston for at least 10 years. There last two deals look like this:BOSTON TRADES:Phil KesselAndre RaycroftTORONTO TRADESTukka Rask1st Rd Pick1st Rd Pick2nd Rd PickNot this season, but next season, Boston will have Rask starting. He's a brilliant goalie and this is the one trade that made me lose it. I could no longer support a team that can trade away Rask for Raycroft! Boston is now an elite team in the NHL, PLUS they have a stockpile of picks and a superstar young goalie. All thanks to fleecing the Leafs.
please Daniel enlighten us who those picks might turn into..

here's a question. give that boston one the division last year. shouldnt they be looking to hang on to their 36 goal 21 year old sniper and trading some of their prospects to put them over the top. last time they developed a young guy they also traded him when he started producing (thornton). i know they had the cap issues but why give up a youngster who has already got it done. seems like they are in a perpetual rebuild and not looking to put themselves 'over the top'.

heard a rumour today that the talk around the NHL is Chiarelli looks like a huge chump after this trade..Looks like Burke pulled off another one....

heard a rumour today that the talk around the NHL is Chiarelli looks like a huge chump after this trade..Looks like Burke pulled off another one....
a rumour amongst insane leaf fans? Everyone I know inside the industry has taken a 'wait and see' attitude on this one......
a rumour amongst insane leaf fans?Everyone I know inside the industry has taken a 'wait and see' attitude on this one......
lol of course..Every trade if you look 5 years after the fact you be right 100%.The key is to say what you think when it happens...Its clearly a trade in the Leafs favour right now IF things stay the course.SCENARIO 1Kessel comes back in November, scores 25-30 goals, averages 40 goals a year for 10 years...Is a perennial all star and makes the hall of fame.Boston drafts journeymen AHL players and thats the end of it.ORSCENARIO 2Kessel proves to be the next Daniel Marois, he cant play because he is always injured, we finish in the lottery the next two years, and Boston ends up with Taylor Hall and the next Ovechkin in 2011. Kessel is bought out after 2 years and ends up playing for Davos in Switzerland.The key to a general manager is to evaluate the odds of the previous scenarios. Reality will fall somewhere between one and 2...The closer to 1, Burke wins the trade. Closer to 2 Chiarelli wins the trade.
  • 4 months later...

i think this thread needs a bump...Kessel is looking as advertised again..the second goal he scored last night was just amazing and very fun to watch.20 goals and a good chance to score 30 to 35 in a season where he missed training camp, had to deal with a new team and new environment.If he finishes strong it will be a succesful start..Oh also last time i checked I dont see Marc Savard anywhere near the ACC..Hmmm

how many goals do you need him to score to win your bet. You know he's going to be one goal short just because its you.
it depends on if he plays all the games..Pro rated i need 40 over an 82 games season..

21 goals for Kessel..More importantly he has found his second wind..He looked really tired there for a stretch of games and it was showing...He looks like every bit the player we traded for. They said he couldnt score without Savard, well not only is he scoring, but he is making guys around him better ..Like Bozak..Oh does anyone think that the player/players we traded for Kessel will be better than Bozak?Bozak is looking amazing.

21 goals for Kessel..More importantly he has found his second wind..He looked really tired there for a stretch of games and it was showing...He looks like every bit the player we traded for. They said he couldnt score without Savard, well not only is he scoring, but he is making guys around him better ..Like Bozak..Oh does anyone think that the player/players we traded for Kessel will be better than Bozak?Bozak is looking amazing.
Yes, they will very likely be better. In fact, the pick this year alone will very likely be better. But Kessel has impressed me, and Savard has been pretty crappy this year (when healthy.)
Yes, they will very likely be better. In fact, the pick this year alone will very likely be better. But Kessel has impressed me, and Savard has been pretty crappy this year (when healthy.)
we will see..Even if the pick is better , it will take a lot to develop as quickly as a college player..Draft is a gamble...But its fun to watch to see what happens with this trade 5 years down the line.