2009-2010 Miami Dolphins Official Thread

Cotchery is questionable.I like this matchup for Miami. Miami cant cover anyone but the Jets dont throw all that well. Jets dont let anyone throw on them with Revis and the exotic blitzes.....Miami wants to run the ball as much as possible anyway.Miami 13 --- Jets 10

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The good news is that the Dolphins beat the Jets (despite the officials doing everything short of intentionally tripping Dolphins players to help the Jets win. Seriously, has a home team ever gotten hosed so many times on MNF? just ****ing brutal.)The better news is that with the Pats looking vulnerable.....maybe the Dolphins will hang around the AFC east race a while.The best news is that Chad Henne looked spectacular. Not one mistake. Great deep ball to Ginn. Two clutch throws to Camarillo late. Never got rattled by the Jets blitz.....only QB to have a good game against them this year. I think we might have a keeper. Looks like a completely different guy than the QB who came in against San Diego.Sanchez to Braylon was pretty impressive though. Complaints: The special teams coach should be fired now. Not tomorrow, now. Every kickoff our blocking is so horrendous the return man gets blown up at the 15. Our punt coverage is weak. And two fake punts.....come on. I am not sure that has ever happened before. This game really should not have been so close but for special teams blunders (and bogus, ridiculous penalties).We still continue to have the worst safety tandem in the league. Every week we get beat deep often. Already crossing my fingers that the Dolphins get Taylor Mays or Eric Berry in the next draft. We need an elite safety in the worst way to help shore up the secondary.

god miami has the best running game in the league
Seems to get better every week. And now they have an arm to take advantage of play action. Henne's numbers out of play action tonight: 7-7 for 140, 2 TD. Awesome. All starts up front. O-line is playing well, and both Ronnie and Ricky are at a high level. O-line is very young too. They could be building a really special (and very retro) offense (still could use a #1 WR....why didnt we try to trade for Braylon? he looks pretty sweet now that he escaped purgatory).
The best news is that Chad Henne looked spectacular. Not one mistake. Great deep ball to Ginn. Two clutch throws to Camarillo late. Never got rattled by the Jets blitz.....only QB to have a good game against them this year. I think we might have a keeper. Looks like a completely different guy than the QB who came in against San Diego.
I'd like to see a few weeks of consistently good performances, but I'm definitely encouraged by last night. It's nice to see they're bringing him along slowly (lots of safe passes, check downs, hand offs, wildcat plays, etc.) but I'm glad they're willing to let him take a shot deep. It will take a lot more than one deep touchdown catch to get me on board with Ginn but they definitely have a chance to take advantage of his speed now, so I hope they throw it up for him more often and see what happens. Overall, I'm very happy with Henne last night. It's only one game, but if they can keep the running game solid and keep easing him out of a game manager role and find a way to make some plays down the field then I like they way our QB situation looks. We REALLY need a consistent playmaker at WR.
god miami has the best running game in the league
It should definitely help with Henne's development, that's for sure. They have a very solid tandem of backs and, fad or not, they execute the wildcat better than any team in the league.EDIT: And Rex Ryan can suck it.
Somebody who listens to the LeBatard show help me out with the something something part. I must've listened to that song ten times in a row trying to figure out what he says and I've got nothing.The "cute, playful Dolphins" part just kills me.
"This is what happens when a team's named after.. a smiling mammal of the sea... yeah"
"This is what happens when a team's named after.. a smiling mammal of the sea... yeah"
Ahhh, thank you thank you.I was thinking "teams" not "team's" so I was thinking it had something to do with the opponents.

Calvin Pace on the wildcat:"I can't respect that stuff because we're in the NFL, man," linebacker Calvin Pace told reporters. "If you're out there running that nonsense, it's crap."Calvin, remind me again why you didn't play the first four games this season? And you don't "respect" a team because of a formation they run very well? Well, then.

Who?
Was my reaction as well.Ed Reed said the Wildcat is just a gimmick until a team can throw out of it successfully. Is there any reason Tebow can't be used in this way? Bring him in for ten snaps a game and I think he would be have some real value there.
Who?
Jets LB who was suspended for performance enhancers. I just find it funny that he's bashing the formation after Miami ran it successfully against his team and using the word 'respect' considering he just got done serving a suspension. It might be a gimmick, sure, but they're using it effectively for now. Baltimore shut it down twice last year so Ed Reed has every right to criticize it, but teams who don't stop it shouldn't bitch about it.
Was my reaction as well.Ed Reed said the Wildcat is just a gimmick until a team can throw out of it successfully.
That's why Miami drafted Pat White in the second round ( probably a bit of a reach, really), because he's the perfect weapon for the wildcat. It's also a shrewd trade for tyler thigpin, because he should be athletic enough to run the wildcat decently. Miami has a ton of non traditional offensive weapons, it really is a fun team to watch.
Baltimore shut it down twice last year so Ed Reed has every right to criticize it, but teams who don't stop it shouldn't bitch about it.
I don't think he was criticizing it so much as saying that you can scheme against it, but when a team can throw out of it just enough to keep defenses honest, then it's going to be a beast to stop.
That's why Miami drafted Pat White in the second round ( probably a bit of a reach, really), because he's the perfect weapon for the wildcat. It's also a shrewd trade for tyler thigpin, because he should be athletic enough to run the wildcat decently. Miami has a ton of non traditional offensive weapons, it really is a fun team to watch.
I thought the same thing about Thigpen, I wouldn't be surprised to see him eventually take a few snaps out of it. I agree with the idea of Pat White being a good weapon in it but, still, he needs to be able to actually throw the football.
I don't think he was criticizing it so much as saying that you can scheme against it, but when a team can throw out of it just enough to keep defenses honest, then it's going to be a beast to stop.
It would be interesting if they could find an effective way to throw out of it more often, and maybe they'll try to now that they have a better arm at QB. I'm pretty sure Monday's game was the first time they threw from it this season (and that was Ronnie Brown).
I thought the same thing about Thigpen, I wouldn't be surprised to see him eventually take a few snaps out of it. I agree with the idea of Pat White being a good weapon in it but, still, he needs to be able to actually throw the football. It would be interesting if they could find an effective way to throw out of it more often, and maybe they'll try to now that they have a better arm at QB. I'm pretty sure Monday's game was the first time they threw from it this season (and that was Ronnie Brown).
Pat White looked really good throwing at the combine.
I thought the same thing about Thigpen, I wouldn't be surprised to see him eventually take a few snaps out of it. I agree with the idea of Pat White being a good weapon in it but, still, he needs to be able to actually throw the football. It would be interesting if they could find an effective way to throw out of it more often, and maybe they'll try to now that they have a better arm at QB. I'm pretty sure Monday's game was the first time they threw from it this season (and that was Ronnie Brown).
Pat White overthrew a receiver in the Atlanta game out of the wildfish

Thigpen won't get any reps because of the third string qb/inactive rule but I think they are going to continue to mix it up but also, if Henne continues to look solid, I think they might cool down some of the over the top stuff and let him try and flourish. Alllllthouuughhh, they were getting wacky in the 4th and it was hyper-successful, so we'll see. Either way, it's gonna be a bumpy yet exciting ride.

Pat White looked awful in the preseason. But he is another intriguing option out of the wildcat. I think Thigpen will end up being the #2 some day.....I thought he was actually not half bad playing for a terrible Chiefs team last year.Ed Reed is basically right. If you are a great run defense (like Baltimore) the Wildcat is very beatable because you know it's a run 98% of the time. But if there was lots of throwing involved then the wildcat could threaten even a great defense. Also, as an aside, Baltimore owned the Wildcat last year because their interior D-line just flattened Miami's center/guards. Samson Satele, the Fins center last year, was particularly victimized. So they traded him to Oakland for Jake Grove who has been terrific so far. So, it is possible Miami might have a lot more success against a Ravens level run defense this year. If Miami can find a way to somehow come out of the next stretch (Saints, @Patriots, @Jets) 2-1, then they might make some noise this year because the schedule gets very easy after that. But it is conceivable they could got 0-3 in that stretch and crater then make a "run" to 7-9. They got a break that both the Panthers and Titans are horrible this year after being great last year.

Them doing the wildcat with 10 seconds left, and no QB on the field was basically a **** you to the jets saying... " hey, guess what we're doing, and what you won't be able to stop, even though you know what we are doing". Very impressive.

Them doing the wildcat with 10 seconds left, and no QB on the field was basically a **** you to the jets saying... " hey, guess what we're doing, and what you won't be able to stop, even though you know what we are doing". Very impressive.
I loved that. And it was the right call, Jets D had to be a little gassed. The way they put together so many 7 and 8 minute drives is fantastic. It saps the other team's will.
Calvin Pace on the wildcat:"I can't respect that stuff because we're in the NFL, man," linebacker Calvin Pace told reporters. "If you're out there running that nonsense, it's crap."Calvin, remind me again why you didn't play the first four games this season? And you don't "respect" a team because of a formation they run very well? Well, then.
I loved Channing Crowder's response.
Leave it to Dolphins loudmouth linebacker Channing Crowder to fire back at Jets linebacker Calvin Pace, who called Miami's Chad Henne a "second-year clown quarterback" and the Wildcat offense "nonsense" after a 31-27 loss Monday."[Wildcat] non-sensed their [butts] all the way up and down the field. If that's nonsense, I love nonsense," Channing Crowder told radio station 790 The Ticket, according to SunSentinel.com. "They want to say gimmick, gimmick this. We've won games with the Wildcat. I'll win a game with a gimmick. ... Hell, they ran two fake punts. If you want to say gimmick, those are a real gimmicks."The Wildcat is an offensive formation [we've] been running for two years. They've got thousands of plays on film about it. Go stop it and shut up about all that junk talking. ... They ain't gonna give us no credit. We'll see them in three weeks. We have to play them again, so the hell with them."