interesting experiment on probability.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, okay here it is.It is 2/3 of the time.The reason is simple. Let's say you chose a door and decided not to change your mind. Well you know what that means? It doesn't matter if you were shown the goat or not, you blindly going in, then still deciding to stay with your door is 1/3 and whats 3/3 - 1/3? 2/3! :club:
nice.promise i didn't look at this post before posting. :-) aseem

I have nothing to add to this. I just want to be e-mail notified when more responses are posted.Peace,Jay

Nope, okay here it is.It is 2/3 of the time.The reason is simple. Let's say you chose a door and decided not to change your mind. Well you know what that means? It doesn't matter if you were shown the goat or not, you blindly going in, then still deciding to stay with your door is 1/3 and whats 3/3 - 1/3? 2/3! :club:
nice.promise i didn't look at this post before posting. :-) aseem
Yeah I was talking to the other guy who "concured" :D
I censored KNEW THAT TOO! I WAS WORKING IT OUT ON A NOTEBOOK HERE AND YOU HAD TO GIVE THE ANSWER!MODERATOR IS censored :shock:
LMAO.not sure if i cracked up at the "moderator is pissed" part, or that "pissed" actually came out as "censored", and it was the moderator that was posting it.aseem

maybe I am jumping the gun...but it seems your gonna get 2 out of 3 doors either way..if you pick door A... and they show you door C is empty... you still have a chance with A... overall 66.6%if you pick door B... and the prize is there after revealind the empty door C then you win again...you lose 33% in the long run...now... if the person is trying to bust you... they will pick the empty door out of the 2 left if you miss... thus ****ing the equation... but im saying its random...you get the prize 66.6%

I censored KNEW THAT TOO! I WAS WORKING IT OUT ON A NOTEBOOK HERE AND YOU HAD TO GIVE THE ANSWER!MODERATOR IS censored :shock:
LMAO.not sure if i cracked up at the "moderator is censored" part, or that "censored" actually came out as "censored", and it was the moderator that was posting it.aseem
lol I laughed at that too, he was talking like a caveman.
Yeah I hate too see Vade stumped 8)
Heh. I hate math, so bah :PI know, I play poker, and I hate math.Thankfully, they're not mutually exclusive (poker and hating math :club:)

When you initially pick your door, you have a 1/3 chance of getting the door correct. Therefore 1/3 times the remaining two doors will both be empty and you get jack when you switch doors. Two thirds of the time, when you have initially chosen an incorrect door, the host opens the only remaining bad door, and so the other door has the prize. When you switch doors, your probably of winning is 2/3.

i like the one on Numb3rs better because one door had a car, the other two had goats. the way i look at it, if i come away with either i you can't lose. i'd pimp that goat in every sense of the word.

As long as you choose to switch your choice when shown a door, your chances are %66. I've seen this one before, took me a long time to get it though, eesh, so simple yet so hard!I saw this problem on this site a while ago (it's no. 48 "Monty Hall Problem"). the site has tons of stumpers like this. I've tried a bunch and got a few of them without great effort, but, they're still all big brain teasers. Nice collection if you like these sorta things. Solutions for most of them are there too.

Ya, I spent a long night at the cottage all boozed up trying to explain this one to some friends.The easiest way to sum it up, I think is...You'll initially pick a goat 2/3 of the time. (two out of the three doors have goats)When you've picked a goat, and automatically switch, you'll win. (he'll show you the other empty door, and you switch to the winning door)Bottom line, switch doors and you'll win 66.7% of the time.There was a site somewhere that automatically simulated a number of guesses and solutions, as entered by the user, but I can't find it at the moment.This laughs in the face of logic... I love it!

Ya, I spent a long night at the cottage all boozed up trying to explain this one to some friends.The easiest way to sum it up, I think is...You'll initially pick a goat 2/3 of the time.  (two out of the three doors have goats)When you've picked a goat, and automatically switch, you'll win. (he'll show you the other empty door, and you switch to the winning door)Bottom line, switch doors and you'll win 66.7% of the time.There was a site somewhere that automatically simulated a number of guesses and solutions, as entered by the user, but I can't find it at the moment.This laughs in the face of logic... I love it!
This can't be a true answer.If you eliminate 1 false door right away, you have a 50/50 chance. How can your odds increase?.. they will eliminate 1 door after you have chosen, if you chose to switch doors everytime, your odds that switching doors will win is still 50/50.

this makes the solution much easier to understand and makes it seem much more intuitive:"maybe its easier to see in this problem. there are 1000 doors, only one of which has a prize behind it. you pick a door, then monty opens 998 doors with goats behind them. do you switch? it seems more obvious in this case, because monty had to take care in which door not to open, and in the process basically showing you where the prize was (999 out of 1000 times). "